Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 274729 times)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #585 on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
@AngiefromNJ , greetings. Listening to Art Bell live was like being part of large group of people. In the dark of the night, Art Bell was a light left on for the lonely, the insomniacs and the curious. Who is Art Bell's legacy? I looked up the definition of legacy. The dictionary would define "legacy" as a gift or a bequest, that is handed down, endowed or conveyed from one person to another. Not one person stands out to me as his legacy.  :(
I don't think a person is really a legacy. To me, his legacy is the awareness of the many aspects of the paranormal that we all are interested in and share, and that sense of community in our interests is his legacy. He had a really big, important impact on so many people! There was no one like him in the radio world.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #586 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
By "over there" do you refer to Bellgrab? And if so why would you want to go back there?

Isn't it more on the rowdy speech side for the temperature of this room? :o

Nooooooooooooooo!  :D  I meant the Kingdom of Drama Without Heather Wade thread here on my beloved Ellgab! Eek!  8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

AngiefromNJ

• Filthy Animal
  • Elluminati
  • I AM THE NEW HALLIE
« Reply #587 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
I don't think a person is really a legacy. To me, his legacy is the awareness of the many aspects of the paranormal that we all are interested in and share, and that sense of community in our interests is his legacy. He had a really big, important impact on so many people! There was no one like him in the radio world.
I agree..100%

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #588 on: April 10, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
Ah the lonely in the night insomniacs- done first and best by Herb Jepko on the Nitecaps show:
<snip>

Yes, when young I listened to Long John Nebel and later Jean Shepherd, who I loved. Also, a bit later than that, for a while comic horror-movie host Zacherle also had a show I liked.

But then I also like Mad Daddy, from Sponge Rubber Hall, who iirc was not a talk show but did music and talk. Fun!

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #589 on: April 10, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »
I stayed at a friend’s house where we had a sweat lodge ceremony last night. I woke up this morning and had frost on my shorts. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing them at the time. They were hanging on the back porch.

I personally would consider that too much chilling out.  8) +1 though!

How was the sweat lodge for you if you care to say?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #590 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »
Yes!  I like some types of drama, but not all types.

Same here, my threshold is unambiguously set far below:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Why do humans not grasp monsters from the Id?

:-[

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #591 on: April 10, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
Iirc, the masters were wax originally (I may have that wrong, maybe someone else remembers more accurately), cylinders, I think, but because they weren't very durable, Edison later developed a way to make metal masters which were then pressed onto blobs of shellac, which became the '78's we may know from our grandparents' and parents' collections of records. It was an evolving process.

And, btw, Edison actually invented the phonograph originally because he was very interested in capturing spirit voices, he believed in the afterlife and mediums, etc. and hoped to capture the voice of the departed that way.

True! +1

+1 true is right! He was the first Spiricom guy.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #592 on: April 10, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »

Nooooooooooooooo!  :D  I meant the Kingdom of Drama Without Heather Wade thread here on my beloved Ellgab! Eek!  8)

OK then...my bad!

I thought some kind of merger/acquisition of unequals might be in the offing... :o

I guess I'll wait for the Ellgab IPO and see if its over-subscribed. 8)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #593 on: April 10, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »
Yes, when young I listened to Long John Nebel and later Jean Shepherd, who I loved. Also, a bit later than that, for a while comic horror-movie host Zacherle also had a show I liked.

But then I also like Mad Daddy, from Sponge Rubber Hall, who iirc was not a talk show but did music and talk. Fun!

I know the first two - Jean Shepherd was a true national treasure.

Ever see:

...there's a smidge of Buckaroo Banzai yet to come there..

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #594 on: April 10, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »
By "over there" do you refer to Bellgrab? And if so why would you want to go back there?

Isn't it more on the rowdy speech side for the temperature of this room? :o

Maybe for the temperament of me. Who knows, what might have seemed snappy and bitey to me might just be how those people post to each other having known one another a long time. I was brand new and unsure of what the whole forum thing was about.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #595 on: April 10, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
Same here, my threshold is unambiguously set far below:

Why do humans not grasp monsters from the Id?

:-[
It that an id monster?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #596 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
I stayed at a friend’s house where we had a sweat lodge ceremony last night. I woke up this morning and had frost on my shorts. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing them at the time. They were hanging on the back porch.

Had me scared for a moment!  How long was the ceremony?  Did you find solutions to all problems?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #597 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
I stayed at a friend’s house where we had a sweat lodge ceremony last night. I woke up this morning and had frost on my shorts. I’m glad I wasn’t wearing them at the time. They were hanging id monster on the back porch.
@GravitySucks , greetings. What do you remember about the sweat lodge ceremony? Are you on the way back home? I hope you share this experience with me/us. I wish you well.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #598 on: April 10, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
Iirc, the masters were wax originally (I may have that wrong, maybe someone else remembers more accurately), cylinders, I think, but because they weren't very durable, Edison later developed a way to make metal masters which were then pressed onto blobs of shellac, which became the '78's we may know from our grandparents' and parents' collections of records. It was an evolving process.
And, btw, Edison actually invented the phonograph originally because he was very interested in capturing spirit voices, he believed in the afterlife and mediums, etc. and hoped to capture the voice of the departed that way.
True! +1

Ah, the cylinders. Yes, I saw them. We had a field trip to...what was it, not a museum but where he lived and worked. They walked us through the lab and then into the area where his desk was. They showed us the clock that they said someone ran in and stopped the moment he died.  I can't tell you how much I wanted to sit there and read through all of those papers!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #599 on: April 10, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
Maybe for the temperament of me. Who knows, what might have seemed snappy and bitey to me might just be how those people post to each other having known one another a long time. I was brand new and unsure of what the whole forum thing was about.
We've all been in that space, you have to start somewhere.

I found the culture there toxic enough to avoid it as a participant for years - but to be fair these so-called "fan groups" turning on their progenitors is nothing new it seems. The parasites consume the host in due time. That bothers me, it's a bit like:

But the recent action, led by Brig, to induce less stable types to livestream and youtube themselves for her boredom time gratification is heedless incitement to behaviors that have no built-in containment mechanisms. I guess we can say that Groyper isn't likely to actually use his Glock on a cat lady, despite his Twitter post...but...what if he's not any more stable than some others we've seen?

I still question why Twitter has left that pic up, but that's just me.

Back to point - if you are consumed by anger or like to act out at the extreme limits of the first amendment - bellgrab is the place, just know that its SCOTUS is functionally a one man panel - MV. :-X