Author Topic: Current Movies  (Read 13874 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Current Movies
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »
I'm looking forward to the new Halloween as well.  Keep in mind that this is written as the true sequel to the first.  Just ignore everything else that came after.

I was just thinking of you. I am sipping some Earl Grey Iced tea. Did you ever try making it?
Are we having fun yet?

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
Check out The Straight Story and The Elephant Man for some good storytelling by Lynch.  He's capable but likes to spend most of his time basking in weirdness.
I'll watch them. Thanks.

Nappily Ever After 2018 ,  director : Haifaa al-Monsour , with Halle Berry
The main character has been raised to keep herself perfectly groomed and done up. Since childhood, her mother has insisted she keep her hair straightened. . She’s itching for her  boyfriend to propose and wants babies.
  One day, her boyfriend announces that he wants to tell her something at a dinner. Hoping for a marriage proposa,  she gets her hair done , but something goes wrong at the hair salon and ruins her hair.
Later that day, her boyfriend refuses to propose.  There is a break up, and she evaluates her life priorities.

It's a chick flick and not a bad one. If your girlfriend or wife insists on a chick flicj on  movie night, this might be a good choice. rate it 7/10.

Hotel Artemis 2018.  Director Drew Pearce, with Jodie Foster.  Near future sci fi.
During the LA riots of 2018,  a bank robber steals something from the wrong person. The drama unfolds in a safe house operated by and for outlaws.  It’s staffed by people who have left lmainstream society, including the medics.
The premise is more original, but it's weak on character development.  It uses too many fight scenes as filler. If I want to watch a fake fight, I'll play a video game.
7/10. 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »

I was just thinking of you. I am sipping some Earl Grey Iced tea. Did you ever try making it?

Well look at you thinking of me while drinking my favorite tea!  :-*   ;D   ;)  Ya know, I don't think I have.  :-\  I rarely drink iced teas.  I would try it though.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »
Oh.  I am looking forward to seeing Hell Fest too.  I heard it does justice to the 80's slasher flicks.  Love that stuff.   8)

Fast and Bulbous

• KNYE
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
12th Man 2017. Director Harald Zwart. Norway

Not the most current movie, but this is how long it has taken to to force myself to watch it all the way through since seeing the beginning when it was released.

It's a WWII action movie about Norwegian guerrelas. A band of 12 of them sabotage a Nazi camp and all but 1 are caught. The 12th hidzs in the coun try side.

This might have been an enjoyable film except for a couple of deal breakers.  First, the opening scene is in English and for a minute, it’s looking promising.  But then a black screen flashes up and there's a page of text to read. Then it goes back to the film. Okay. It was just the introduction.  I start puttering around the apartment cleaning   .   But  then it goes back and for th to text 6 more times.  Annoying would be an understatement.

Second, the director blew it with the use of foreign languages in a film I assume is meant for an international and mostly englush market. They spent too much money producing it than can be recuperated in Norwegian theatres.  During the next 2 hours, it’s subtitle hell. Dialogue is in German, Norwegian, and Saami. The same thing is ruining Game of Thorns  .  Nobody wants to sit through an hour of dialogue in Dothraki.

I appreciate the effort to make it look authenticity,  but it stops there. Supposedl'y it's in a famine, but everyone is well-fed to the point of chubby. It's supposed to be extreme poverty and a blockade, but everyone has off fresh new clothes and everyone is clean.

Rambo First Blood II was more convincing. The director could learn a lesson in realis tic dialogue in a foreign language by watching Rambo. First line of the scene is subtit led.  Atmosphere has been established. Rest of scene is English and everyone is happy.

As it is, it’s about as good as any of the Danish language murder mysteries that PBS is crapflooding their network with.

6/10

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »
Oh.  I am looking forward to seeing Hell Fest too.  I heard it does justice to the 80's slasher flicks.  Love that stuff.   8)
I'll definitely end up seeing that.  Hell Fest! Sounds like a death metal festival..

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
Check out The Straight Story and The Elephant Man for some good storytelling by Lynch.  He's capable but likes to spend most of his time basking in weirdness.

I liked Mulholland Drive, it's pretty confusing but the art snob in me liked it lol. Looking at his box office, Lynch really doesn't have much box office success at all

I didn't get to see anything this week also  :-[ Everybody in my circle was kinda lazy and I didn't want to go alone. I wanted to go see Mandy, nobody seemed up for it  :( I really should be able to go to movies on my own, I used to do that a bit but I stopped.

I am guessing won't have much problem having somebody to go watch Haloween, I have had a couple of people already showing interest in going to see that.

Last weekend Box office Sep 28-30      Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Night School                                        $27,257,615    (New)       29M
2 Smallfoot                                            $23,045,635     (New)       80M
3 The House With A Clock In Its Walls      $12,605,120     (45M)       42M   
4 A Simple Favor                                      $6,540,666     (43M)       20M
5 The Nun                                                $5,428,875   (109M)       22M
6 Hell Fest                                                $5,130,963     (New)      5.5M                                                                                   
7 Crazy Rich Asians                                   $4,102,788    (166M)      30M
8 The Predator (2018)                                $3,860,826    (48M)       88M
9 White Boy Rick                                        $2,402,240   (21.5M)      29M
10Peppermint                                             $1,766,458   (33.5M)      25M

Seems like a pretty uneventful week. Night school did good for a medium size comedy, Smallfoot box office looks week but sometimes these animation has better longivity. Hellfest did fine as a low budgeet thriller. Nun kicking butt with 5x it's box office, while Predator looks like it's going to take a bath. Everybody else seems to be breaking even except WhiteBoy Rick which will lose money 

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
I liked Mulholland Drive, it's pretty confusing but the art snob in me liked it lol. Looking at his box office, Lynch really doesn't have much box office success at all

I didn't get to see anything this week also  :-[ Everybody in my circle was kinda lazy and I didn't want to go alone. I wanted to go see Mandy, nobody seemed up for it  :( I really should be able to go to movies on my own, I used to do that a bit but I stopped.

I am guessing won't have much problem having somebody to go watch Haloween, I have had a couple of people already showing interest in going to see that.

Last weekend Box office Sep 28-30      Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Night School                                        $27,257,615    (New)       29M
2 Smallfoot                                            $23,045,635     (New)       80M
3 The House With A Clock In Its Walls      $12,605,120     (45M)       42M   
4 A Simple Favor                                      $6,540,666     (43M)       20M
5 The Nun                                                $5,428,875   (109M)       22M
6 Hell Fest                                                $5,130,963     (New)      5.5M                                                                                   
7 Crazy Rich Asians                                   $4,102,788    (166M)      30M
8 The Predator (2018)                                $3,860,826    (48M)       88M
9 White Boy Rick                                        $2,402,240   (21.5M)      29M
10Peppermint                                             $1,766,458   (33.5M)      25M

Seems like a pretty uneventful week. Night school did good for a medium size comedy, Smallfoot box office looks week but sometimes these animation has better longivity. Hellfest did fine as a low budgeet thriller. Nun kicking butt with 5x it's box office, while Predator looks like it's going to take a bath. Everybody else seems to be breaking even except WhiteBoy Rick which will lose money

I liked Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.  They're never going to make any top 10 lists of mine or even top 100 lists for that matter but at least they were different from routine Hollywood fare. I have great respect for auteurs.  Such filmmakers  are relatively scarce in today's Hollywood environment.  Seems like most movies come from a cookie cutter these days.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »
Last weekend openings (rotten Tomato ratings)
-Venom [29%]
-A Star is Born [91%]
-Shine [not rated]
-The Hate U Gave [97%]
-Loving Pablo [31%]

Last weekend Box office Oct 5-7           Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Venom                                                $80,255,756    (New)       100M
2 A Star is Born                                      $42,908,051    (New)        36M
3 Smallfoot                                            $14,402,559   (42.5M)       80M
4 Night School                                        $12,514,925      (47M)        29M
5 The House With A Clock In Its Walls        $7,332,665    (55M)        42M   
6 A Simple Favor                                      $3,424,954     (49M)       20M
7 The Nun                                                $2,703,281     (113M)       22M
8 Crazy Rich Asians                                   $2,166,626   (169M)      30M
9 Hell Fest                                                $2,083,759    (9M)       5.5M                                                                                   
10The Predator (2018)                                 $947,358   (50M)       88M

Venom had horrible reviews but it didn't matter as it did great Box office. A Star is Born also did really well. Sayinig that, none of last weeks movies really interest me. But the weekend up coming up Bad Times at the El Royale has certainly caught my eye.

Out this weekend [Rotten Tomatoes rating]
-First Man [89%]
-Bad Times at the El Royale [75%]
-Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween [30%]
-Beautiful Boy [67%]
-The Happy Prince [73%]

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
This weeks opening movies never got out of the starters blocks with disappointing numbers for both First Man and Bad Times at the El Royale both did poor opening weekend despite good reviews and even Goosebumps 2 did average at best numbers. The Hate U Give is doing well in limited release, if you look at per theater it would have been third behind Venom and Star is Born who are still dominatin. The Nun even in it's sixth week out is still holding on to a Top 10 spot

Weekend Box office Oct 12-14             Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Venom                                                $35,006,107    (142M)       100M
2 A Star is Born                                      $28,445,205    (94.5M)        36M
3 First Man                                             $16,006,065     (New)          59M
4 Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween         $15,802,225    (New)          35M
5 Smallfoot                                               $9,066,837   (57.5M)         80M
6 Night School                                           $7,751,255   (59.8M)        29M
7 Bad Times At The El Royale                      $7,132,647   (New)          32M
8 The House With A Clock In Its Walls          $3,844,240   (62M)          42M   
9 The Hate U Give                                      $1,736,242    (2.5M)         N/A
10 The Nun                                                $1,345,355   (116M)        22M

Out of the Top ten I still want to see Bad times. It seems to have a Tarantino feel to it

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »
A Star is Born was very good.  I'm not going to say it is the best version frankly I would give the nod to 1932's What Price Hollywood? with Constance Bennett, Lowell Sherman and Neil Hamilton.  It is the same basic plot and William Wellman took it and wrote the first script and directed the first movie with the famous title in 1938.
The new version had a lot of ear candy riffs and I've got to give Bradley Cooper, Lukas Nelson (Willie's son) and Gaga nods for the great music.  I got kind of tired of Cooper trying to sound like Sam Elliott but every performance was very good.  I think Elliott probably deserves the Oscar for support.  He's my favorite as of now. A solid 4 star effort and it more than holds its own with the other versions.
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
Hello everyone! I just watched The Witch. It was pretty cool. Beautiful to watch. It's not new but I just can't stop thinking about it.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 12:57:32 AM »
Hello everyone! I just watched The Witch. It was pretty cool. Beautiful to watch. It's not new but I just can't stop thinking about it.

@PolkaDot, The Witch may be my favorite horror movie of recent years.  Has great authenticity to it and seems realistic.  It is very dark and may be not everyone's cuppa tea but I loved it. Of course I am the resident satyr so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.  ;) 4.5 stars.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
Of course I am the resident satyr so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.  ;) 4.5 stars.

Oh my! good to know. LOL
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
@PolkaDot, The Witch may be my favorite horror movie of recent years.  Has great authenticity to it and seems realistic.  It is very dark and may be not everyone's cuppa tea but I loved it. Of course I am the resident satyr so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.  ;) 4.5 stars.

Seriously tho, there is a lot to that movie and it creates a great atmosphere. It reminds me a bit of Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) which is one of my all time favorite movies ever.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,