Author Topic: Favorite Actors and Actresses  (Read 93085 times)

Kingfish

• KDWN
Re: Favorite Actors and Actresses
« Reply #315 on: September 16, 2018, 08:07:35 PM »
Khigh Dhiegh

My ultimate heavy

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wo Fat?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Wo Fat?

The original!

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
He wasn't Asian, I remember reading an article about him.  I think he was Egyptian.  Imagine casting a non-Asian in that role these days. 

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2018, 10:35:51 PM »

:P
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »

:P

Tongue in cheek?  ;D  Actually, great choice there, 21st!  Stepin was wonderfully funny in Charlie Chan in Egypt.  Nowadays, people wince when they see him act but back in the day he was hugely popular.  It did take quite a lot of talent for him to act so lazy like.  I was happy to read that he made quite a fortune from having done so. 

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2018, 12:21:00 AM »
Tongue in cheek?  ;D  Actually, great choice there, 21st!  Stepin was wonderfully funny in Charlie Chan in Egypt.  Nowadays, people wince when they see him act but back in the day he was hugely popular.  It did take quite a lot of talent for him to act so lazy like.  I was happy to read that he made quite a fortune from having done so.

Interesting comment from a black historian.

In the 2005 book Stepin Fetchit: The Life and Times of Lincoln Perry,[23][24] African American critic Mel Watkins[25][26][27] argued that the character of Stepin Fetchit was not truly lazy or simple-minded,[28] but instead a prankster who deliberately tricked his white employers so that they would do the work instead of him. This technique, which developed during American slavery, was referred to as "putting on old massa," and it was a kind of con art with which black audiences of the time would have been familiar.[7][29][30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepin_Fetchit

John Ford seemed to like him and used him quite often.  Ford was no racist.  Ford's best friend in the latter days of his life was Woody Strode.  Strode at one point was Ford's caregiver. 
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »
Interesting comment from a black historian.

In the 2005 book Stepin Fetchit: The Life and Times of Lincoln Perry,[23][24] African American critic Mel Watkins[25][26][27] argued that the character of Stepin Fetchit was not truly lazy or simple-minded,[28] but instead a prankster who deliberately tricked his white employers so that they would do the work instead of him. This technique, which developed during American slavery, was referred to as "putting on old massa," and it was a kind of con art with which black audiences of the time would have been familiar.[7][29][30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepin_Fetchit

John Ford seemed to like him and used him quite often.  Ford was no racist.  Ford's best friend in the latter days of his life was Woody Strode.  Strode at one point was Ford's caregiver.

Woody Strode was one powerful actor.  I'm in awe of him every time I see him on the screen.  ;)

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »
Woody Strode was one powerful actor.  I'm in awe of him every time I see him on the screen.  ;)

A few interesting tidbits about Woody Strode.

1. He was one the first black football players hired to help integrate the NFL in 1946. 
2. His first wife was Princess Luukialuana Kalaeloa, a distant relative of Liliuokalani, the last queen of Hawaii.  They were married until her death in 1980.   "You'd have thought I was marrying Lana Turner, the way the whites in Hollywood acted," he later said.
3. In the 30's, Strode posed for a nude portrait, part of Hubert Stowitts's acclaimed exhibition of athletic portraits shown at the 1936 Berlin Olympics (although the inclusion of black and Jewish athletes caused the Nazis to close the exhibit).  Hitler commissioned the paintings.
4. He was also a descendant of Creek and Cherokee Indians.

He had a quiet dignity in his film portrayals that few could match.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2018, 01:40:27 AM »
My brief comments next to the actor.  I'm putting on my critic's hat.

Current Actor

Hugh Jackman- Enjoy him mucho.  He needs to make a spaghetti western.
Morgan Freeman -  Overused and is a one-note actor.
Daniel Day Lewis -  Great actor who has not made nearly enough films.
Tom Hanks -  See Morgan Freeman.  He's had his day.
Jim Carrey - Super underrated in dramatic roles - Finished with him. Will never watch anything he is in again.  The Mask is his best film.

Curren Actress

Vera Farmiga - No idea why she not considered elite. She's fantasitc.  She's ok.  I've only seen her in the Conjuring films.
Jodie Foster -  Sincere actress and I actually do try to catch her films because usually they are different.
Charlize Theron -  This one I like a lot.  She's gotten better with age.
Nicole Kidman -  Had her day.  The Others is a magnificent film though.
Naomi Watts - Rather boring.  She's no Fay Wray.

In November my favorite male and female actors is playing husband and wife in the Gary Hart story "The Frontrunner", looking forward to it  Gag me with a spoon! Who plays Donna Rice?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:42 AM »
He wasn't Asian, I remember reading an article about him.  I think he was Egyptian.  Imagine casting a non-Asian in that role these days.

Yes, he was from New Jersey of Egyptian descent.  Kind of an interesting dude really.   He was author to a number of books on
Taoist philosophy and had a Phd in theology.  Incredibly, he also released an album.

When the original Five-O was ongoing it was shot on location in Hawaii.  At the time, there was not a whole lot of acting depth
locally so the crew would look for interesting faces that they would come across in daily activities.  Harry Endo, whom I posted earlier in this thread,
was a banker.   Another example was Five-O heavy, Kwan Hi Lim who was an attorney. He was used to play bad guys because Jack Lord
thought he had a sinister look:

I don't want to spoil Rixx's thread with obscure Hawaiians but the Five-O team did a great job finding locals here and there. Definitely
part of the charm of the original series.

I'll cross the streams a bit and merge this with the Post Card thread.  The name Wo Fat came from a Chinese Restaurant
in Honolulu.  Sadly it is closed now but as a huge fan of the original series I had a big thrill eating lunch there on a visit to
the islands once.

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2018, 06:57:43 AM »
Yes, he was from New Jersey of Egyptian descent.  Kind of an interesting dude really.   He was author to a number of books on
Taoist philosophy and had a Phd in theology.  Incredibly, he also released an album.

When the original Five-O was ongoing it was shot on location in Hawaii.  At the time, there was not a whole lot of acting depth
locally so the crew would look for interesting faces that they would come across in daily activities.  Harry Endo, whom I posted earlier in this thread,
was a banker.   Another example was Five-O heavy, Kwan Hi Lim who was an attorney. He was used to play bad guys because Jack Lord
thought he had a sinister look:

I don't want to spoil Rixx's thread with obscure Hawaiians but the Five-O team did a great job finding locals here and there. Definitely
part of the charm of the original series.

I'll cross the streams a bit and merge this with the Post Card thread.  The name Wo Fat came from a Chinese Restaurant
in Honolulu.  Sadly it is closed now but as a huge fan of the original series I had a big thrill eating lunch there on a visit to
the islands once.

Well at least was better in the role than Mickey Rooney was playing the Japanese character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »

Jim Backus

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »