Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 5963 times)

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
You were right Peter.  England lost despite a strong second half in which they should have scored at least three goals.  With the last blow of the whistle you could see how non concerned all the players were, both winners and losers.  Everyone wore a 'glad that's over' expression.

And now the final game tomorrow.  It is being billed as a David and Goliath match but it will only be exciting if the Croatian 'Davids' can take it to the French.  While I predicted France being in the final, (I wrongly had them losing to Brazil) I have come to appriciate the Croatian team and will be cheering them on.

In the words of Bobby Moore: win or lose, we're on the booze.

I hope Croatia do it, but there's always a danger they will freeze against veterans like France. Even though it's not the same side that won the World Cup, obviously, I think these things make  a difference.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
The Englies got a big heaping dose of Trump hate karma...

Yes, losing a game nobody cared about, how shattering. Everyone hates Trump btw, apart from the toothless inbreeds in that toilet you claim to live in.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
I'm rooting for Croatia. Neat to see a small population country get to a final and would be cool if they won. Plus the players mainly look like they are Croatian whereas many of the French players don't look "French," in the traditional sense of the word. Former French Colonies, yes. But rooting for Davy versus the Goliath who has won before and such a larger pool of talent.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
Yes, losing a game nobody cared about, how shattering. Everyone hates Trump btw, apart from the toothless inbreeds in that toilet you claim to live in.
Hey there, Mr. Sour Grapes.  Maybe next time. ;) ;D

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
Yes, losing a game nobody cared about, how shattering.

Choking TWICE in the WC - very Englie indeed!

Everyone hates Trump btw, apart from the toothless inbreeds in that toilet you claim to live in.

WWG1WGA!

Even in Ireland:

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
Hey there, Mr. Sour Grapes.  Maybe next time. ;) ;D

Lol...maybe next life given their track record...

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
I was rooting for Croatia in the final.  Never cared for France...ever.  I'm still pissed the USA didn't qualify even though they may not have gotten out of the group.  And Germany!!??  *sigh*

I always look forward to the World Cup.  However this one didn't captivate me.  It was a good one though.

Now in 4 years it heads to Qatar.  Ugh.  What a poor choice for a host.  More so that we don't see it in the summer since the games have been moved to November and December.  Not many in the USA are giving up the NFL to watch soccer (futbol).  I'll watch though if I can.

I have a bad feeling about the next Cup.

zeebo

• KDWN
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
Some of the earlier games were great.  I really thought Columbia would get farther.  I slept through the final since I was up with insomnia watching the Tour de France, cobblestone mania stage. 

As for soccer in the US, I tried an MLS game for a few minutes till I realized they were playing on a much smaller field.  It's not even the same game - it's like trying to sell ping-pong as tennis.