Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511134 times)

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bingo!  We get to eat at this cool looking restaurant in Dubuque, Illinois.  Timmerman's Supper club was founded back in 1961 and it is still there to this day. 

Info on Timmerman's: http://timmermanssupperclub.com/about-us/

Grandma and Marion took six people (including the lady who wrote on the postcard) to Timmerman's for dinner on September 25, 1960.  If there were any baseball fans in the party, they might have been aware that for the first time since 1927, the Pirates clinched the NL pennant and the New York Yankees clinched the AL pennant.  Also, the Phillies beat the Reds 7-1, ending 16 consecutive Sunday loses. 

One item of news might have been on everyon's minds, since the club was run by a lady who demanded certain aspects of ettiquite (see link above) while dining at her establishment;  Emily Post, author of books on etiquette, died at the age of 86 on September 25, 1960.

But enough of the past.  What do you want to eat?  How about we go for the Famous Seafood Platter for $36.00?  Slipper lobster, Alaskan king crab legs, scallops, shrimp, and cod; our choice of deep fried or broiled with butter. All served with drawn butter and cocktail sauce. Yum!

Oh isn't that a cool old place!  Their menu looks like it's at least 40 years old:  nice steaks and stuff, but still with a side of cottage cheese available hahaha.  I always get that when I (rarely) see it, just for the novelty, and to see if they artfully dust it with paprika.

I don't think we have supper clubs out here, though it sounds similar to what we used to call a roadhouse, a nice restaurant located some distance outside town along a major highway, combining a drive with dinner.  My dad as a teenager worked at one called Rose's Inn on old Hwy 99, a few miles south of the old Spanish Castle which is famous for some musical reason that escapes me.  He used to boast about how he could batter and fry shrimp and chicken livers better than anyone, but he stopped doing that sometime before I was born.

I did get to eat there before it burned down; excellent pan-fried chicken still.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
Oh isn't that a cool old place!  Their menu looks like it's at least 40 years old:  nice steaks and stuff, but still with a side of cottage cheese available hahaha.  I always get that when I (rarely) see it, just for the novelty, and to see if they artfully dust it with paprika.

I don't think we have supper clubs out here, though it sounds similar to what we used to call a roadhouse, a nice restaurant located some distance outside town along a major highway, combining a drive with dinner.  My dad as a teenager worked at one called Rose's Inn on old Hwy 99, a few miles south of the old Spanish Castle which is famous for some musical reason that escapes me.  He used to boast about how he could batter and fry shrimp and chicken livers better than anyone, but he stopped doing that sometime before I was born.

I did get to eat there before it burned down; excellent pan-fried chicken still.
From Wiki:
"In the U.S., a supper club is a dining establishment generally found in the Upper Midwestern states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Iowa. These establishments typically are located on the edge of town in rural areas"

This was not the one I went to but might try it out next time in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/vikingbar/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
If you are talking Supper Clubs you are talking Nutini's!   

An absolute *must* if you are in Hancock, Michigan [not sure why you would be]

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
From Wiki:
"In the U.S., a supper club is a dining establishment generally found in the Upper Midwestern states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Iowa. These establishments typically are located on the edge of town in rural areas"

This was not the one I went to but might try it out next time in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/vikingbar/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Now that looks like good old Midwest food!  Nothing Viking about the menu, though.  Our latest Scandinavian restaurant/bar just closed this year, making the third I can remember.  Used to have something like 25 kinds of akavit, too.  I guess nobody can make that cuisine take off, even in Ballard.

Somebody should try the smorgasbord again, they were really popular in the '60s but then I think that was the dawn of the buffet.  People liked the buffet idea, but they'd rather eat other stuff.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2018, 04:07:10 PM »
If you are talking Supper Clubs you are talking Nutini's!   

An absolute *must* if you are in Hancock, Michigan [not sure why you would be]

I'll have the Lake Superior White Fish, please, for $17.95.  Cool sign!  Though I see by their menu they've thrown in the towel with mexican and build-your-own pizza.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Now that looks like good old Midwest food!  Nothing Viking about the menu, though.  Our latest Scandinavian restaurant/bar just closed this year, making the third I can remember.  Used to have something like 25 kinds of akavit, too.  I guess nobody can make that cuisine take off, even in Ballard.

Somebody should try the smorgasbord again, they were really popular in the '60s but then I think that was the dawn of the buffet.  People liked the buffet idea, but they'd rather eat other stuff.
Wow so many! Nice. Was at a function recently and someone brought Alborg and apologized that no other brand could be found. I shouted "even Linie?!" And she said " not even the 'ship one'- this was in a DC suburb! I blame "the Swamp" and Cojnty Run liquor store. Outrageous.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
I'll have the Lake Superior White Fish, please, for $17.95.  Cool sign!  Though I see by their menu they've thrown in the towel with mexican and build-your-own pizza.
Agreed on choice but troubled by 'white fish,' too vague for my liking. Pizza, ok, considering name of place. The "Mexican" sounds horrible but it is fun, sometimes, to have "Mexican," or better yet "Tex-Mex" in other places- some amazing bad stuff or funny stuff. Gouda in cheese enchiladas was one. And not talking some high-gilder fusion but thats the cheese they had deal.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
Wow so many! Nice. Was at a function recently and someone brought Alborg and apologized that no other brand could be found. I shouted "even Linie?!" And she said " not even the 'ship one'- this was in a DC suburb! I blame "the Swamp" and Cojnty Run liquor store. Outrageous.

You know, I bet if you took some good cheap rye like Old Overholt or something and put a few caraway seeds in for maybe a week, it'd pass without a murmur.

Oh my god nøkkelost akavit I just thought of it!  Whole cloves and untoasted cumin seeds.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
Agreed on choice but troubled by 'white fish,' too vague for my liking. Pizza, ok, considering name of place. The "Mexican" sounds horrible but it is fun, sometimes, to have "Mexican," or better yet "Tex-Mex" in other places- some amazing bad stuff or funny stuff. Gouda in cheese enchiladas was one. And not talking some high-gilder fusion but thats the cheese they had deal.

No need to be troubled - the White Fish referenced is Coregonus clupeaformis     No vagueness at all - just deliciousness

However. this is the place to get it - caught daily by the Chippewa.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
No need to be troubled - the White Fish referenced is Coregonus clupeaformis     No vagueness at all - just deliciousness

However. this is the place to get it - caught daily by the Chippewa.

Now that is my kind of of place!  Grandma used to talk about buying fish off the docks back in the old country, usually some kind of flatfish, but you almost never see that here for some reason, let alone a restaurant that serves it.  Even our famous market salmon is usually from Alaska; they don't run that big here in the Sound.

I've always wanted to try walleye, have relatives in MN that talk it up something fierce.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »

I've always wanted to try walleye, have relatives in MN that talk it up something fierce.

You got some Swede's in the family woodpile?     :P

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
You got some Swede's in the family woodpile?     :P

Ha like my Grandma used to say vi snakker ikke om det (we don't talk about that)!  Technically from a part of Sweden they grabbed from Norway 400 years ago or so, with closer historic ties to Trondhjem than Stockholm.  But that makes me part Trønder which, from the point of view of southern Norway, is almost worse.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
You guys are making me hungry.  My bad, but I mistook the date that that lady wrote on the Timmerman's postcard.  It was September 25, 1965, not 1960.  NBA player Scottie Pippen was born on that day and the Beatle's cartoon show began playing in the USA. 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
You guys are making me hungry.  My bad, but I mistook the date that that lady wrote on the Timmerman's postcard.  It was September 25, 1965, not 1960.  NBA player Scottie Pippen was born on that day and  the Beatle's cartoon show began playing in the USA.

Hungry Rix?   

Pop into Zehnder's for a German Chicken Dinner:

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
Hungry Rix?   

Pop into Zehnder's for a German Chicken Dinner:

Just for the record, I'm always hungry.  I do love chicken though and that looks like a fun place to eat.