Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503538 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm not really into wines all that much but apparently the Italian Swiss Colony brand is no more.  The wine tasting room is still there though.  According to the following link, it has been restored.  The winery is called Cellar Number 8 at Asti Winery, now.   https://www.sfgate.com/wine/tastingroom/article/Cellar-No-8-at-Asti-Winery-packed-with-history-3164056.php 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
Daddy sent the postcard on July 23, 1945. 

Daddy was a man of many words!

2Lord2Grantham

• KDWN
  • WSGW
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »

A postcard from Chicago. Postmarked in D.C.

Something isn't adding up with dad's story.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2018, 01:37:26 PM »
A postcard from Chicago. Postmarked in D.C.

Something isn't adding up with dad's story.

I noticed that too.  I guess he could have visited the zoo and purchased the card on the previous day, then traveled to D.C. and mailed it from there.  At least that would be my story, in case 'Mommy' was wondering what I was up to on my business trip.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »

I thought that this was a cool looking house at first, but actually it is a library.  The James Prendergast Library, as it is called now.

The card was mailed on September 17, 1943.  A load of ammunition exploded at Norfolk Naval Air Station on that day, and the Soviet city of Bryansk was liberated from the Nazis because it was like WWII at the time.  Also, astronaut Samuel T Durrance, (STS 35, STS 67), was born in Tallahassee, Florida on that day.  Sam is still with us.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_T._Durrance

The library is still there, by the way.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Prendergast_Library)  It looks like nothing much has changed, from the outside anyway. 

A photograph of the James Prendergast Library taken facing the northeast.
By Smtayl - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=45352769

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Here are some more pics and a postcard from the U.S.S. Huron's tour of the Philippines back in 1925 and 1926.  (Note orbs and ghost in bottom photo.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »

It would have been fun for us to eat some crafted burgers in The Harrisburger Caucus Room but the place has been gone for a long time.  In fact, I don't know when it opened or when it closed.  Some other guy in Harrisburg, Penn. opened a Harrisburger back in 2012 but it was just a lunch counter, set up by a street, I think.  It went out of business after three years.

I did see a big Hotel Harrisburger online.  Not sure if the building is still there but further resarch has shown that the Caucas Room was inside of the Hotel Harrisburg.

Hotel Harrisburger

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »

Now this would be a fun place to eat on a Sunday.  Looks pretty ritzy though.  We would have to wear our Sunday best.

The hotel is still there in Spokane.  http://www.davenporthotelcollection.com/our-hotels/the-historic-davenport-hotel/  I'm not sure if the Conservatory is still there though, because the place was totally renovated back in 2002.  Pretty much everybody who is anybody has stopped there for lodgings.  Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart,  Doobie Brothers, Ed Asner, Cheap Trick,  Pat Benatar, Amelia Earhart, Ringo Starr, Mary Pickford, Jay Leno, Lawrence Welk, Cheech & Chong, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, BB King, Snoop Dogg, Don Rickles, Benny Goodman, John Travolta, Burt Reynolds, Dennis Miller, Babe Ruth, Wayne Newton, Samuel L Jackson, 50 Cent, Howie Mandel and John F. Kennedy, just to mention a few.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2018, 07:10:00 PM »

Now this would be a fun place to eat on a Sunday.  Looks pretty ritzy though.  We would have to wear our Sunday best.

The hotel is still there in Spokane.  http://www.davenporthotelcollection.com/our-hotels/the-historic-davenport-hotel/  I'm not sure if the Conservatory is still there though, because the place was totally renovated back in 2002.  Pretty much everybody who is anybody has stopped there for lodgings.  Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart,  Doobie Brothers, Ed Asner, Cheap Trick,  Pat Benatar, Amelia Earhart, Ringo Starr, Mary Pickford, Jay Leno, Lawrence Welk, Cheech & Chong, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, BB King, Snoop Dogg, Don Rickles, Benny Goodman, John Travolta, Burt Reynolds, Dennis Miller, Babe Ruth, Wayne Newton, Samuel L Jackson, 50 Cent, Howie Mandel and John F. Kennedy, just to mention a few.
Ive suggested Paladin1991 take the missus there. Even if just for dinner or drinks. Great hotel and I've known people who buy the mattresses after spending some nights there. So comfortable. (They buy mattress from the company that makes them, not the actual bed.) A great history and so glad it was saved and restored. Anyone visiting Spokane should go there, even just for a drink or coffee. And then head down E Sprague and check out the other side of Spo-compton. Hell's Angels clubhouse, recovery clinics, army-navy stores, street walkers, and derelicts, though a good meat market and also new condos where gentrification happening. I dont think there is zoning or HOAs so odd. Nice places and then almost abandoned place n meth heads n junkies living in cars. Weird. Davenport is awesome though. So are some other buildings built when mining/timber king. They rebuilt Spokane for a World's Fair Expo. Where it was used to hobo seedy area because all the railroads etc.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »

I guess there was only one Mrs Hendrick in Riceville, Iowa back in the day.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
I guess there was only one Mrs Hendrick in Riceville, Iowa back in the day.
Do they grow rice in Iowa? I could see, I guess with some rivers n floods,, but never thought about that crop in Iowa. Also only someone from small town Iowa would consider Spokane a busy/fast place. My experiences there has been everything moves slow, places shut down early, and weird business hours.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Do they grow rice in Iowa? I could see, I guess with some rivers n floods,, but never thought about that crop in Iowa. Also only someone from small town Iowa would consider Spokane a busy/fast place. My experiences there has been everything moves slow, places shut down early, and weird business hours.

Apparently platted in 1855 by three Rice brothers. Only 502 in the last census. That is about how many people were living in Magnolia, TX when I moved there in 1972.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
Apparently platted in 1855 by three Rice brothers. Only 502 in the last census. That is about how many people were living in Magnolia, TX when I moved there in 1972.
I was thinking that a "Rice" of Houston fame might have started. You know how folks back when used to do such. Fordlandia and Post, TX etc. I could see someone from that place thinking Spokane fast n hopping, esp back then.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:35 PM »

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »

That Lover's Lane sounds like a pretty cool place to live.  http://loverslanesaintjo.com/