Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 510643 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »
Well there were several murals at the La Avenida Cafe including the one in our fun little picture.  Here is a 13 Page PDF file that
discusses the restaurant, the artist and the murals in detail.   Fun read.  Marylin Monroe, Alfred Hitchcock and Chiang Kai-shek
all make cameos in the document.

https://www.coronado.ca.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_746006/File/government/departments/library/STORY%20OF%20THE%20RAMOS%20MARTINEZ%20MURALS%207-20-17.pdf

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
Very artistic cards, Tootsie.  Thank you.

Thanks   :)

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Well there were several murals at the La Avenida Cafe including the one in our fun little picture.  Here is a 13 Page PDF file that
discusses the restaurant, the artist and the murals in detail.   Fun read.  Marylin Monroe, Alfred Hitchcock and Chiang Kai-shek
all make cameos in the document.

https://www.coronado.ca.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_746006/File/government/departments/library/STORY%20OF%20THE%20RAMOS%20MARTINEZ%20MURALS%207-20-17.pdf

Great find!  So it is a Caesar salad, with a connection to the original!  That explains a lot.  There is still a place here where the guy comes out with a big wooden bowl on a tripod and makes it fresh for you at your table. 

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
Great find!  So it is a Caesar salad, with a connection to the original!  That explains a lot.  There is still a place here where the guy comes out with a big wooden bowl on a tripod and makes it fresh for you at your table.

Down here the big attraction is to make guacamole table side like you described. I loathe guacamole. Biting into anything avocado is like biting into a stick of butter in my opinion.
Are we having fun yet?

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »
Down here the big attraction is to make guacamole table side like you described. I loathe guacamole. Biting into anything avocado is like biting into a stick of butter in my opinion.

That would be fun to see; I love guacamole!  And it does go off immediately if you don't have a lot of citrus, so I guess it makes sense.  But as a table-side service I'd rather see little mexican grandmothers come out with a griddle and make you tortillas as fast as you can eat them.  I can't think of anything else where the flavor curve is so steep.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The La Avenida Motel and Restaurant in Coronado, California, just steps away from the Pacific ocean.  The good news is that the motel is still there but the bad news is that there isn't a La Avenida restaurant anymore.  Though I think that there might be a different restaurant in its place.  Kind of hard to tell if the restaurant I looked at on Google Earth (bottom pic.) is the same building after remodeling or an entirely new one.  On the postcard there are two separate addresses for both places.  Getting back to the motel, it is now called the La Avenida Inn.

I wonder if mural is still there? An interesting artist.
https://www.alfredoramosmartinez.com/works/

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
That would be fun to see; I love guacamole!  And it does go off immediately if you don't have a lot of citrus, so I guess it makes sense.  But as a table-side service I'd rather see little mexican grandmothers come out with a griddle and make you tortillas as fast as you can eat them.  I can't think of anything else where the flavor curve is so steep.
I don't know why (trick the fruit into thinking it is still all together, not peeled and bashed up) but everyone here always puts the pit back into it and supposedly that, and sealing it up and some lime, will help it not 'brown' too quickly.  They pretty cool partially mechanical tortilla makers at the restaurants that you can watch and get fresh tortillas. Also ceramic deals to put in and keep warm if you want to buy tortilla for use at home. I'm not sure if I would describe as a "rube goldberg" machine though....

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
I don't know why (trick the fruit into thinking it is still all together, not peeled and bashed up) but everyone here always puts the pit back into it and supposedly that, and sealing it up and some lime, will help it not 'brown' too quickly.  They pretty cool partially mechanical tortilla makers at the restaurants that you can watch and get fresh tortillas. Also ceramic deals to put in and keep warm if you want to buy tortilla for use at home. I'm not sure if I would describe as a "rube goldberg" machine though....

Oh that is cool!  I wonder if it might be repurposed for lefse...

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #413 on: September 30, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
Oh that is cool!  I wonder if it might be repurposed for lefse...
I wonder....

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #414 on: October 01, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
I took part in another week long postcard auction on eBay.  I did especially well in getting the items that I really wanted, but wound up spending more than I regularly would have.  Here are some postcards that I got outbid on.

While I didn't bid on this card, it is somewhat unusual.  A postcard of a chapel in a funeral home.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #415 on: October 01, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
I took part in another week long postcard auction on eBay.  I did especially well in getting the items that I really wanted, but wound up spending more than I regularly would have.  Here are some postcards that I got outbid on.
While I didn't bid on this card, it is somewhat unusual.  A postcard of a chapel in a funeral home.

http://www.speakschapel.com/our_heritage.html

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #416 on: October 01, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »

That's an unusual bird there Rix.

Looks to be a Nihon Aircraft YS-11.  Unusual that it is a Japanese airliner - something they usually don't bother building. 
Each of the 182 built were produced at a net loss.  The planes designers had some fame - Jiro Horikoshi who designed the
famous Mitsubishi Zero and one of Hideki Tojo's sons were on the project.

There is only one plane left in operation - it flies for Aircraft for Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMC_YS-11

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #417 on: October 01, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #418 on: October 01, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
That's an unusual bird there Rix.

Looks to be a Nihon Aircraft YS-11.  Unusual that it is a Japanese airliner - something they usually don't bother building. 
Each of the 182 built were produced at a net loss.  The planes designers had some fame - Jiro Horikoshi who designed the
famous Mitsubishi Zero and one of Hideki Tojo's sons were on the project.

There is only one plane left in operation - it flies for Aircraft for Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMC_YS-11

I'd like to fly on that one last plane.  I wish I'd have kept closer tabs on that postcard. I put an initial bid of $2.25 on it and somewhere along the line, somebody topped me with a bid of $2.50.  Oh well, I did manage to win two other aircraft postcards and I will be posting them as time goes by.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #419 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
I'd like to fly on that one last plane.  I wish I'd have kept closer tabs on that postcard. I put an initial bid of $2.25 on it and somewhere along the line, somebody topped me with a bid of $2.50.  Oh well, I did manage to win two other aircraft postcards and I will be posting them as time goes by.

I would as well.   Not without some risk though.   This old Convair bought the farm in Africa just a few months back

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/12/two-qantas-pilots-injured-in-fatal-vintage-plane-crash-in-south-africa