Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 275083 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #615 on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
We've all been in that space, you have to start somewhere.

I found the culture there toxic enough to avoid it as a participant for years - but to be fair these so-called "fan groups" turning on their progenitors is nothing new it seems. The parasites consume the host in due time. That bothers me, it's a bit like:

But the recent action, led by Brig, to induce less stable types to livestream and youtube themselves for her boredom time gratification is heedless incitement to behaviors that have no built-in containment mechanisms. I guess we can say that Groyper isn't likely to actually use his Glock on a cat lady, despite his Twitter post...but...what if he's not any more stable than some others we've seen?

I still question why Twitter has left that pic up, but that's just me.

Back to point - if you are consumed by anger or like to act out at the extreme limits of the first amendment - bellgrab is the place, just know that its SCOTUS is functionally a one man panel - MV. :-X
@26 horses , the complex behavior of human beings is not easy to understand.  Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic theory of personality is an easy rule to follow.  All you need is social media to play out the show. I had to start posting in other threads for my own reasons. Not only did I dislike what I viewed in other members, but also, I did not like what I viewed in myself.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
@26 horses , the complex behavior of human beings is not easy to understand.  Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic theory of personality is an easy rule to follow.  All you need is social media to play out the show. I had to start posting in other threads for my own reasons. Not only did I dislike what I viewed in other members, but also, I did not like what I viewed in myself.

I've had the precise same non-reality interrupt occur and it can be a delicious headspace balm, if one lets it be so.

Love the Forbidden Planet clip, such a thoughtful riff on Shakespeare's iconic "The Tempest" that one was.

I still revere Cassavettes' 1982 version though the trailer online is bland. Molly Ringwald's debut film, btw.

Well, a musical interlude is in keeping:

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
Initial Public Offering - but maybe Bart isn't interested in going public just yet, so... :-X

Right. I think not.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
Different name - derivation of the one that Bart zoo'd here.

Enjoy, and I agree, this is but a sliver, not a full cross-section.

Zooing? Oooo!
Agree with the last part.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #619 on: April 10, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Ah, the cylinders. Yes, I saw them. We had a field trip to...what was it, not a museum but where he lived and worked. They walked us through the lab and then into the area where his desk was. They showed us the clock that they said someone ran in and stopped the moment he died.  I can't tell you how much I wanted to sit there and read through all of those papers!

How very cool! And of course Edison, NJ is named after him. I read a lot about him when I was very young because he and I share the same birthday. Later I found out so did James Joyce, and I read a lot of his work in school, but he wasn't really my cup of tea after that.

Edison, btw, was close friends with Henry Ford, and they spent a lot of time together in Florida down near Ft. Myers on the southern gulf coast, the southwestern part of Florida. They had estates next to each other, which are now part of a museum and historic site:

"Edison and Ford Winter Estates  www.edisonfordwinterestates.org

The Edison and Ford Winter Estates contain a historical museum and 21 acre botanical garden on the adjacent sites of the winter homes of Thomas Alva Edison and Henry Ford beside the Caloosahatchee River in southwestern Florida."
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
That is a nicer way of looking at it. I applaud and 1+ you. It isn't anyone and it hasn't been soiled. Nice.

Thank you, dollink!  ;) And +1 back, of course!   ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #621 on: April 10, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
Whatsa IPO?

Initial Public Offering, when a company first goes public from being private and offers shares to the public in one of the trading platforms in the stock market. Usually sorta fixed, offers made to insiders at the best price, then the public gets the leftovers after they have already started to jack up the price of a share.  :P

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #622 on: April 10, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
How very cool! And of course Edison, NJ is named after him. I read a lot about him when I was very young because he and I share the same birthday. Later I found out so did James Joyce, and I read a lot of his work in school, but he wasn't really my cup of tea after that.

Edison, btw, was close friends with Henry Ford, and they spent a lot of time together in Florida down near Ft. Myers on the southern gulf coast, the southwestern part of Florida. They had estates next to each other, which are now part of a museum and historic site:

"Edison and Ford Winter Estates  www.edisonfordwinterestates.org

The Edison and Ford Winter Estates contain a historical museum and 21 acre botanical garden on the adjacent sites of the winter homes of Thomas Alva Edison and Henry Ford beside the Caloosahatchee River in southwestern Florida."

Great website. Love stuff like that.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Zooing? Oooo!
Agree with the last part.

I've been in a verbing mood of late. ;D

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
Initial Public Offering, when a company first goes public from being private and offers shares to the public in one of the trading platforms in the stock market. Usually sorta fixed, offers made to insiders at the best price, then the public gets the leftovers after they have already started to jack up the price of a share.  :P
The kind of "Lyft" that comes back to earth in a hurry.... :-\

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
I've been in a verbing mood of late. ;D

Refreshing, thank you

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
  • Alpha Male Instructor/Professional Boomer
« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
Happy day to you @Starman2018
Hi anniem! Hope your having a little sunshine on your face in your neck of the woods.
Art Bell fascinates me as an entertainer. I don't go around wearing Art Bell socks everyday (wink) but ya, I'm a fan. I looked into some of his background after catching a couple of his shows because of the uniqueness of his live broadcasts. His early years included radio, Ham radio. electronics just to name a few. He said he loved radio in his interviews and it certainly showed.
Group participation time! Your in a large dark room. Your eyes are closed and you hear foot steps echoing as they approach you in the dark from behind. They stop directly behind where you are standing . Then you hear Art Bell say " Do you believe in UFO's?" What a voice. A voice made for radio lucky bugger :) . The guy was at the right place at the right time with the right show. I think if his health was not as bad as it turned out to be he could have had another great relaunch in today's world. His passion was radio without a doubt. I'm not taking this post to the report on his passing. I'm sure the family has had enough of possibly seeing that discussion. He had a creative streak and I'm sure he would not have had to solely depended on live callers. He delivered great interviews with guests even when there were no open lines. Was he perfect? No, Was he awesome at what he did? In my books oh yeah. Art delivered the goods and four hours of live radio with him was never boring. Does anyone actually know how many of his own shows in total he did as the host in his career?
Enjoying the continuing journey of discovering infinite diversity...

Starman2018

• Drone Pilot
  • Alpha Male Instructor/Professional Boomer
« Reply #627 on: April 10, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »
I adore Monty Python.
It was on the PBS station when I was a kid, and we watched them each week. One episode had them in a boat and they decided they would have to devour parts of each other to survive. In comes my grandmother to visit, wanted to see what we were up to and we had her sit down and watch with us.  She was FURIOUS that my mother would let us watch such awful stuff. Luckily, my mother didn't mind it.

Ah, found it.
http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode26.htm#16
In my Navy days, Monty Python came on at 11pm on Friday night. This was well before cellphones texting or messaging so me and my Navy bud would tune in then call each other and chat and laugh about that nights episode. Tech has come a long way. lol. " Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" :)

Enjoying the continuing journey of discovering infinite diversity...

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #628 on: April 10, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Hi anniem! Hope your having a little sunshine on your face in your neck of the woods.

Yes, sunshiney today. How about you?

Art Bell fascinates me as an entertainer. I don't go around wearing Art Bell socks everyday

*GASP* are there Art Bell socks!?!?!? Where do I get them!?!?!??   ;)

(wink) but ya, I'm a fan. I looked into some of his background after catching a couple of his shows because of the uniqueness of his live broadcasts. His early years included radio, Ham radio. electronics just to name a few. He said he loved radio in his interviews and it certainly showed.

Right. My father listened to him when we lived in NJ, he didn't sleep very well. My father also was likely looking for info because he saw a UFO one night while walking the dog.

Group participation time! Your in a large dark room. Your eyes are closed and you hear foot steps echoing as they approach you in the dark from behind. They stop directly behind where you are standing . Then you hear Art Bell say " Do you believe in UFO's?" What a voice. A voice made for radio lucky bugger :) . The guy was at the right place at the right time with the right show. I think if his health was not as bad as it turned out to be he could have had another great relaunch in today's world.

I completely agree. He tried, and I think it was too much for the sick old guy. Do you think someone really shot at him?

His passion was radio without a doubt. I'm not taking this post to the report on his passing. I'm sure the family has had enough of possibly seeing that discussion. He had a creative streak and I'm sure he would not have had to solely depended on live callers. He delivered great interviews with guests even when there were no open lines. Was he perfect? No, Was he awesome at what he did? In my books oh yeah. Art delivered the goods and four hours of live radio with him was never boring. Does anyone actually know how many of his own shows in total he did as the host in his career?

Good idea.
One could count the number of shows in that ultimate collection, but I hear that there are still some interviews on cassettes in drawers. I also think the prep for shows is harder now than it used to be. I really was happy to hear Karen in her interview say that he was the happiest he'd ever been towards the end of his life - he brought a great deal of happiness to many many people.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »
I don't think a person is really a legacy. To me, his legacy is the awareness of the many aspects of the paranormal that we all are interested in and share, and that sense of community in our interests is his legacy. He had a really big, important impact on so many people! There was no one like him in the radio world.

Art's legacy is his body of work.  No one can simply copy another entertainer, athlete, etc, and become just like them, or we'd have seen someone do it by now.  I don't think we'd want that anyway.