Author Topic: Cool gadgets  (Read 3314 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Are we having fun yet?

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Cool gadgets
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »
I saw an ad for this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Diagnostic gizmo for one's car.  I'm curious...

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
I saw an ad for this:

I seen that informercial and have suspicions. Like some bs about voiding your factory warranty, etc. I would be surprised mfg (which often, at least try, to claim intellectual property on some systems) would allow a third party that sells on TV to by-pass the official equipment and there also would be push back by service departments, mechanics, etc.

But I see some reviews that are good and says works and explains versus just the "error codes" etc. So maybe a good deal and my suspicious nature is wrong?

This seems cool:

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/computing/This-sensor-will-let-you-see-through-walls-with-smartphones/articleshow/53737825.cms

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
Those 'as seen on TV' commercials used to offer you a second whatever it is that you want to buy for free, but not anymore. Now you have to pay 'an additional fee.'   In other words, you are getting a second item, by paying more.  :o

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
Those 'as seen on TV' commercials used to offer you a second whatever it is that you want to buy for free, but not anymore. Now you have to pay 'an additional fee.'   In other words, you are getting a second item, by paying more.  :o

I also like the ones where "you'd expect to pay $$" but instead you are offered "3 easy payments" that basically add up the same amount.  And, of course, the separation of cost of the item but the additional "shipping & handling." Why not, like any retail store, just include those costs in the prices? Some psychological manipulation, I guess.

reginald

• KNYE
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
I saw an ad for this:

That is just a bluetooth OBD-II reader. You can get them on Amazon or ebay for a few bucks. I use it with an app called Torque and it has helped me figure out a few codes that I have had.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
That is just a bluetooth OBD-II reader. You can get them on Amazon or ebay for a few bucks. I use it with an app called Torque and it has helped me figure out a few codes that I have had.

So it is helpful for what it's worth?

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »
I saw an ad for this:

For cars that are just old enough to have a computer wouldn't you want a reader specific to that computer? Mount it to the dash and keep a laminated list of codes in the glove compartment.

I'm weird like that.

Had a failed relay for the cold start injector and ended up teaching the shop how I figured it out.

reginald

• KNYE
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 08:04:02 PM »
So it is helpful for what it's worth?

This one for $4 does the exact same job. The app you use with it is what does the heavy lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYLQMHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_309wBb2483244

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »
For cars that are just old enough to have a computer wouldn't you want a reader specific to that computer? Mount it to the dash and keep a laminated list of codes in the glove compartment.

I'm weird like that.

Had a failed relay for the cold start injector and ended up teaching the shop how I figured it out.
no . they have an led that flashes the codes (like morse code) or they flash the codes via the check engine light on the dash. most of those do not have a place to hook up a computer.
anything newer than about 85 or so has a obd connector, there are readers that can read them all, with the proper adapter. 1996 and newer (and some 94-95 GM's) all use the same connector, the obd2/can connector.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/