Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503478 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
Quite an interesting history for a garden!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustgarten

Interesting history to say the least.  Thanks albrecht.   8)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Thomas Edison' Lab in Dearborn, Michigan.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Great postcards, Shay.  I really enjoyed looking at them.  Now where does Barbara get off writing so legibly that we can understand what she is saying?  :D  Actually I heard somewhere that cursive style of writing is no longer being taught in school.  I used to be really good at it but now I struggle whenever I have to sign my name on a check.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
Thomas Edison' Lab in Dearborn, Michigan.

I toured that museum in 1964 or 1965.  My father had just bought a 1964 Ford Falcon. 5 kids under 10 years old and 2 adults - no car seats. My perch was the shelf by the rear window from Chicago to Detroit. I remember they had a glass blowing demonstration there too.
Are we having fun yet?

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
Great postcards, Shay.  I really enjoyed looking at them.  Now where does Barbara get off writing so legibly that we can understand what she is saying?  :D  Actually I heard somewhere that cursive style of writing is no longer being taught in school.  I used to be really good at it but now I struggle whenever I have to sign my name on a check.

Thanks Rikki.  :)  It is true that cursive is no longer taught, and like you I sometimes have to pause before I sign my name.  My signature is crap so it doesn't really matter anyway.  LOL!  :-[  ;)  ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »

I toured that museum in 1964 or 1965.  My father had just bought a 1964 Ford Falcon. 5 kids under 10 years old and 2 adults - no car seats. My perch was the shelf by the rear window from Chicago to Detroit. I remember they had a glass blowing demonstration there too.

Nice!  8)  So you were the little guy that had to squish into that spot?  LOL!

*not sure if yours was a 4 door.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »
Nice!  8)  So you were the little guy that had to squish into that spot?  LOL!

*not sure if yours was a 4 door.

Yep. But ours was cream colored. My mother made a left hand turn once and my brother was leaning on the door with his head out the window. The door opened and he swang out and nearly lost it. Somehow I grabbed him and pilled him back in and held him until my mother got the car stopped.  I don’t think he ever thanked me.
Are we having fun yet?

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »

Yep. But ours was cream colored. My mother made a left hand turn once and my brother was leaning on the door with his head out the window. The door opened and he swang out and nearly lost it. Somehow I grabbed him and pilled him back in and held him until my mother got the car stopped.  I don’t think he ever thanked me.

I'm an only child so I never understood the sibling dynamic.  However, I'd hold my brother's feet to the fire in your case.  He would owe me!  LOL!  ;)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »

Pet theory. Cursive no longer taught in many schools so that original documents cannot be read (both those of historical value or of a personal nature.) And because smart phones and tablets and not even typing taught, because long messages may convey information, so verboten, as we devolve from using appendages and brain.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
Here are some more pics and a postcard from the U.S.S. Huron's tour of the Philippines back in 1925 or 1926.
First is a comic printing of information on the Philippines.

Followed by two 'almost postcards' showing some bottles of booze.  See any familiar brands there?

And finally, a real postcard showing what...dates, growing off of the tree to the right?  I'm not sure.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »

In a mood for seafood?  How about we try the Deck Restaurant in Brunswick, Georgia.  Must be by the coast because the card says Seafood At Its Source. 

I'll be honest with you, without my glasses I had thought the big sign said Dick.  But Dick or Deck, it doesn't really matter because my research has shown that the place is no longer in business.

Interesting to point out that Richard and Doris wrote the postcard's note on the last day of 1975. 

Before we all go home hungry, I should point out that I found an actual recipe from the Deck Restaurant, so feel free to get the ingredients and cook up an authentic dish from the place.  Better yet, make extra and invite us all over for dinner.
http://www.glynncounty.com/oaktree.pl?id=00013949

Shrimp Mull

2 No. 2 can tomatoes
1 No. 2 can tomato soup
1/4 pound butter
1 cup white bacon, diced
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 whole lemon, sliced
1 cup celery, chopped
1 teaspoon celery seed
15 drops Tabasco
1 bottle tomato catsup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (hot)
5 pounds raw shrimp, peeled
1 cup Sherry
1/4 pound butter

Into a heavy kettle put 2 quarts water, canned tomatoes, and tomato soup. Simmer. Melt butter in skillet and brown bacon and onion in it. Add to tomato mixture. Add all remaining ingredients in the garlic, lemon, celery, celery seed, Tabasco, catsup, Worcestershire, allspice, and curry powder, then boil lightly for 2 hours. Add shrimp and simmer for 1 hour. Add 1 cup Sherry and another 1/4 pound butter. Thicken with cracker crumbs. Serve with flaky dry rice. Makes 8-10 portions.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »

In a mood for seafood?  How about we try the Deck Restaurant in Brunswick, Georgia.  Must be by the coast because the card says Seafood At Its Source. 

I'll be honest with you, without my glasses I had thought the big sign said Dick.  But Dick or Deck, it doesn't really matter because my research has shown that the place is no longer in business.

Interesting to point out that Richard and Doris wrote the postcard's note on the last day of 1975. 

Before we all go home hungry, I should point out that I found an actual recipe from the Deck Restaurant, so feel free to get the ingredients and cook up an authentic dish from the place.  Better yet, make extra and invite us all over for dinner.
http://www.glynncounty.com/oaktree.pl?id=00013949

Sounds tasty. I also like how the passive-aggressive postcard themes still happen. The whole "not snowing here" or "weather is great" etc etc to friends and family still stuck in a blizzard, heat wave, etc.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »
Sir, do you see what you've started?!   😃

Pony Express!
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »
This little card was a wedding announcement sent out in Canada.  From what I understand they were sent to all the citizens.  They were mailed on basic 3X5 index cards.  It's not shown, but the flip side shows the red line, blue lines, and the margin of said cards.

I'm fascinated by the Monarchy.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2018, 12:48:49 AM »
I left my cards in the states, but one of my dads favorites was one with this image:

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2018, 02:26:15 AM »
I left my cards in the states, but one of my dads favorites was one with this image:

Oh, that's a nice one, Spookcat.  Auto postcards are very popular with collectors.  I try to win some of them at auction but I don't have a whole lot of success.  There is a postcard auction that ends every Sunday on aBay and it has auto postcards like this one: