Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231395 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »
This is very nicely done! Love the wooly thyme and the galardia along the path.
You know your plants, lemon thyme is another nicely colorful one:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »

My willow tree got clobbered with aphids last year, so last Friday I released a bag of ladybugs, hoping to get an early start on fighting those sticky little bugs.  The only problem is that there aren't any aphids on the tree like there were last year.  The ladybugs have since departed for greener pastures, but that's OK.  I don't like to see them all cooped up in the bag.  It is fun to watch them crawl out and get drinks of sugar water that I had sprayed higher up in the tree.  The only trouble is, I get that Born Free song playing in my head.       

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
Ladybug ladybug fly away home,
Your house in on fire and your children are gone,
All except one and that's little Ann,
For she crept under the frying pan.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »

My willow tree got clobbered with aphids last year, so last Friday I released a bag of ladybugs, hoping to get an early start on fighting those sticky little bugs.  The only problem is that there aren't any aphids on the tree like there were last year.  The ladybugs have since departed for greener pastures, but that's OK.  I don't like to see them all cooped up in the bag.  It is fun to watch them crawl out and get drinks of sugar water that I had sprayed higher up in the tree.  The only trouble is, I get that Born Free song playing in my head.       

+1 for Elsa times hundreds!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Picked up this tall very used wood table and chairs today for a steal o' deal from a neighbor :)

Going to have to sand down (way down) the table top and refinish but other than that things just need a little TLC and it's going to be in fine working order :)  I hate sitting to a tall table is like standing at a bar to me :)  Everybody wins!!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
Picked up this tall very used wood table and chairs today for a steal o' deal from a neighbor :)

Going to have to sand down (way down) the table top and refinish but other than that things just need a little TLC and it's going to be in fine working order :)  I hate sitting to a tall table is like standing at a bar to me :)  Everybody wins!!

Oh, that table top is going to look great when you finish with it, KSM.  Nice pics. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
A storm front rolled in over the West Coast a couple days ago.  We've had a number of rain squalls off and on but nothing major.  I guess the storm has made its way to the Mid West where it is causing thunderstorms and possible tornados.  I took a picture of the storm as it first appeared up in the Western sky.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
A storm front rolled in over the West Coast a couple days ago.  We've had a number of rain squalls off and on but nothing major.  I guess the storm has made its way to the Mid West where it is causing thunderstorms and possible tornados.  I took a picture of the storm as it first appeared up in the Western sky.

I have been rained on this past week.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2019, 06:43:11 AM »
I pulled up the last of my broccoli stalks today and prepped the soil for pepper transplants.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
I pulled up the last of my broccoli stalks today and prepped the soil for pepper transplants.

I envy you.  I love hot peppers but every time I eat them, my psa numbers go way up and my urologist threatens me with surgery.  So no hot chili peppers for me.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »

@Rikki Gins Out of curiosity Rikki, how does one get a bag of Ladybugs?  Never knew one could get that.  I would, simply because I like Ladybugs and would like to see them around.   :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
@Rikki Gins Out of curiosity Rikki, how does one get a bag of Ladybugs?  Never knew one could get that.  I would, simply because I like Ladybugs and would like to see them around.   :)

Hi @ShayP.  If you look at the bottom of the picture of ladybugs you will see some plastic netting material, which is actually the top of the bag that I snipped open with scissors.  I tell you what, as soon as the container is opened, the ladybugs go charging out and they get on my hands before I have a chance to attach the bag to the tree.  (I usually take a couple of thumb tacks and nail the bag to the tree.)  I pour some sugar water on the tree, just above the bag and the ladybugs will stop and drink the stuff before moving on.  When I say 'moving on' well, that's what they pretty much do.  They seem to head off for parts unknown unless you happen to have some critical aphid problems, or an excess of other types of insects that the ladybugs like to eat.  Even so, I can often see a ladybug that has decided to stick around, for up to a week or so.  After that, they go though their life cycles and you might wind up seeing a number of generations of ladybugs in one summer.

You might find some ladybugs at a grange, or garden center type of store if you have them there in Richmond.  I get my ladybugs at a local Fred Meyer store that has a garden section.  They hang the pouches in a row (up and down) and they are kind of hard to notice unless you are looking for them.  (They also sell praying mantis eggs but I have never had much luck in getting those to hatch.)  Each pouch holds hundreds of ladybugs and it takes several hours for them to crawl to freedom.  There are lots of dead ladybugs at the bottom of the pouch...not sure how long their transit time is.  Anyway, ladybugs are fun to watch.  Hope you can find them somewhere.  Cheers.         

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
Hi @ShayP.  If you look at the bottom of the picture of ladybugs you will see some plastic netting material, which is actually the top of the bag that I snipped open with scissors.  I tell you what, as soon as the container is opened, the ladybugs go charging out and they get on my hands before I have a chance to attach the bag to the tree.  (I usually take a couple of thumb tacks and nail the bag to the tree.)  I pour some sugar water on the tree, just above the bag and the ladybugs will stop and drink the stuff before moving on.  When I say 'moving on' well, that's what they pretty much do.  They seem to head off for parts unknown unless you happen to have some critical aphid problems, or an excess of other types of insects that the ladybugs like to eat.  Even so, I can often see a ladybug that has decided to stick around, for up to a week or so.  After that, they go though their life cycles and you might wind up seeing a number of generations of ladybugs in one summer.

You might find some ladybugs at a grange, or garden center type of store if you have them there in Richmond.  I get my ladybugs at a local Fred Meyer store that has a garden section.  They hang the pouches in a row (up and down) and they are kind of hard to notice unless you are looking for them.  (They also sell praying mantis eggs but I have never had much luck in getting those to hatch.)  Each pouch holds hundreds of ladybugs and it takes several hours for them to crawl to freedom.  There are lots of dead ladybugs at the bottom of the pouch...not sure how long their transit time is.  Anyway, ladybugs are fun to watch.  Hope you can find them somewhere.  Cheers.         

@Rikki Gins  Appreciate the info!  I'm going to look into getting some.   8)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2019, 12:55:30 AM »

Here is an old postcard showing some pansies and white daisies.

Date stamp that card was received on: April 19, 1913

Dear Papa
How are you and
when are you
coming home  We
would like to
see you  from
Norma & Nita