Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231198 times)

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »
Yes, they were pretty tasty.  Heat wise, they were on the mild side.  Like my tomatoes, the peppers were grown in pots.

do they need more watering and shade in pots?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
i never have luck with peppers and i have tried for years. those look delicious
Strangely peppers have been about the only thing I can successfully grow. And usually pretty easy, if I can do it! The only problem I had this year was that a freeze hit before the Tabasco peppers were harvested. But Jalapenos, Cerranos, Bell, and Banana peppers were easy and lots of fruit production and basically no care except some water during the especially hot times.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
do they need more watering and shade in pots?

If the weather is hot, then the pots must be watered every other day, but if overcast or coolish, a good watering will last three or four days.  I use a special hose nozzle that allows for a nice flow of water that will fill the pot up quickly and yet it doesn't knock the potting soil onto the ground.  I use Black Gold flower and vegetable potting soil that has time released fertilizer and apply Jobe's vegetable feeder spikes in early August to give the plants enough of a shot in the arm to get them through to the first frost.  Shade is not an issue because I have them placed up against a tall fence.  The plants get plenty of sun during high summer, but less and less as autumn approaches.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
The peppers I gave to my sister-in-law since she has various blenders and likes to make and cook and she made a pretty good salsa (hot though for some) for some post-Thanksgiving fajitas lunch. 

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »
thx for the tips and hints on how to get those peppers going.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
thx for the tips and hints on how to get those peppers going.

You are so very welcome!  As an afterthought, I would like to add that you might like to look for the biggest pepper plant of whatever varieties are available in the store.  Some of them even have tiny peppers growing on them when you put them in the pot.  That kind of saves you some time in case you have a short growing season.  Also, if your pepper plant has lots of blossoms, try shaking the plant a little.  I do that with my plants but I'm not really sure if it helps with pollinating them. haha 

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
There appears to be a big debate on interwebs about this: when should one prune back Lantanas? I've always heard you wait until the end of winter or early spring to prune off the dead wood. Others have said once they are dead, as mine are after the first early freeze, you can prune back in "winter" (Central Texas so our "winter" can be in the 70s to freezing depending on the day. Haha.) Lastly, some people say prune (for shaping) while in bloom in the summer. They look shitty all dead and brown even though I know, if other years are correct, they will come back in spring once it warms up. Maybe it makes no difference? Idk.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
There appears to be a big debate on interwebs about this: when should one prune back Lantanas? I've always heard you wait until the end of winter or early spring to prune off the dead wood. Others have said once they are dead, as mine are after the first early freeze, you can prune back in "winter" (Central Texas so our "winter" can be in the 70s to freezing depending on the day. Haha.) Lastly, some people say prune (for shaping) while in bloom in the summer. They look shitty all dead and brown even though I know, if other years are correct, they will come back in spring once it warms up. Maybe it makes no difference? Idk.

I can only speak for roses, but after the first blooms of spring they tend to get kind of lanky so I will cut them back quite a bit.  Of course, it being early summer by this time, they will grow back rather quickly and more roses will come into bloom.  So then, they will be kind of stringy, and overgrown by the time winter rolls around and I will prune them back yet again.  We get some rather severe low temps around that time and yet my roses have never failed to grow and the whole cycle of cutting back in late spring and early winter repeats itself.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here is another fruit crate label that is better suited for the EllGab Garden rather than the Fruit and Vegetable Label thread.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »
I can only speak for roses, but after the first blooms of spring they tend to get kind of lanky so I will cut them back quite a bit.  Of course, it being early summer by this time, they will grow back rather quickly and more roses will come into bloom.  So then, they will be kind of stringy, and overgrown by the time winter rolls around and I will prune them back yet again.  We get some rather severe low temps around that time and yet my roses have never failed to grow and the whole cycle of cutting back in late spring and early winter repeats itself.
Here I don't think we need to do much with roses. I recall up north folks would prune back and cover up with pine needles etc and then rely on snow to keep them from dying in the winter. I'm going to ask a neighbor who is always gardening about my lantanas when I can catch them outside.

ACE OF CLUBS

• Nursery Resident
  • KDWN
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
George Noory sucks . . .

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
Here I don't think we need to do much with roses. I recall up north folks would prune back and cover up with pine needles etc and then rely on snow to keep them from dying in the winter. I'm going to ask a neighbor who is always gardening about my lantanas when I can catch them outside.

According to a humongous A to Z book on plants from 1999, Lantanas are classified as a group 9 plant when it comes to pruning.  This means that light pruning of the spent blooms should be done in late spring.  You already knew this though.  Severe pruning can be done also, but you won't get any blooms during the next growing season.  You have had winter damage already so you might want to sacrifice next years blooms for the safety of your plant.  Your call.  PS, it also said to prune back (at any time) any branch that ruins the symmetry of the Lantana.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
According to a humongous A to Z book on plants from 1999, Lantanas are classified as a group 9 plant when it comes to pruning.  This means that light pruning of the spent blooms should be done in late spring.  You already knew this though.  Severe pruning can be done also, but you won't get any blooms during the next growing season.  You have had winter damage already so you might want to sacrifice next years blooms for the safety of your plant.  Your call.  PS, it also said to prune back (at any time) any branch that ruins the symmetry of the Lantana.
Thanks.  So much conflicting information. Last year I cut down to the ground at the end of winter. And had great blooms and plants a foot, foot and 1/2, tall for the most of summer. And lots of butterflies which I know will make LMH happy. Those I don't want those to get much taller anyhow. But those were established ones. The new ones I planted this spring I worry about cutting back too much and due to their position I don't mind if they go crazy or grow large.  We'll see.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Another flowery fruit crate label.