Author Topic: The Good Old Days?  (Read 3401 times)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
The Good Old Days?
« on: May 18, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »
I think that most of us here are Baby Boomers or Generation X. It often seems like the past was much better than the present. I realize that older generations always think this way, but I wonder if the idea has merit beyond this phenomenon. I even hear people, under 30, say that life was much better before 9/11, so do you share their views?

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: The Good Old Days?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
Your days are as you attract them - life is what you make of it.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:28:03 PM »
No, Juan. It's not that simple and you know it. You, like me are a muscician so we'll start there..Everything is moving towards the synthetic. From music with fake drums and singers that don't have to actually sing to be considered "famous singers" Taking the humanity out of music. Guitars that tune themselves!!! HUH??? Horrible!!! I want my God given talented ear to tune the fucker myself.

Now; The good ole days for western civilized countries were the few decades that followed WW2. I know a lot of old folks and they are a different breed who knew a simpler time. They lived their lives, raised their children with morals and taught them the basic rights and wrongs. And let's not forget the not so common, COMMON SENSE! Where the fuck is common sense these days? When moral infrastructure is a thing of the past so are the good old days.  Admittingly, I'm shitfaced but I'll be sober tomorrow and I may change my mind but I doubt it.

If these are the days of millennials who for the most part can be out street-smarted by my dog... the world better start digging a pretty deep hole.

I can't mention my dog without her most recent picture. She's 142LBs of, I'll return your hammer without you having to knock on my door asking for your hammer back. 8)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 05:07:42 AM »
Now that’s a dog.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 05:33:30 AM »
Now that’s a dog.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 06:17:26 AM »
I think that most of us here are Baby Boomers or Generation X. It often seems like the past was much better than the present. I realize that older generations always think this way, but I wonder if the idea has merit beyond this phenomenon. I even hear people, under 30, say that life was much better before 9/11, so do you share their views?

Pre 9/11 was much better. A lot of things changed that day.

Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:36:13 AM »
Now when Bairyn finds it too hot or cold in the bedroom I can just grab my phone and change the temperature without even getting out of bed.

Screw the past, gimme more future!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

@Nucky Nolan I'm a Gen X'er (48).  I do believe there is merit to the phenomenon you speak of.  9/11 was in 2001, so people under 30 now wouldn't even be teenagers when the tragedy happened.  So I'm thinking it's just them relishing childhood when there were no responsibilities.  Seeing the country go to war for the first time (in their lives) at that age would have an affect on them; but to be under 30 and yearn for 'the good old days' seems strange to me.  I don't know.  I just feel that the explosion of social media and other technologies, as much as they are useful, have changes societal behaviors for the worse and it affects an entire generation, or more, going forward.

Now; The good ole days for western civilized countries were the few decades that followed WW2. I know a lot of old folks and they are a different breed who knew a simpler time. They lived their lives, raised their children with morals and taught them the basic rights and wrongs. And let's not forget the not so common, COMMON SENSE! Where the fuck is common sense these days? When moral infrastructure is a thing of the past so are the good old days.  Admittingly, I'm shitfaced but I'll be sober tomorrow and I may change my mind but I doubt it.

If these are the days of millennials who for the most part can be out street-smarted by my dog... the world better start digging a pretty deep hole.

@KSM32   I'm with you man!!!  In addition, COMMON COURTESY has wilted away.  I've noticed it for years now.  Sometimes I fall into the nostalgia of thinking about 'the good old days.'  However, there were problems in any generation.  We didn't have responsibility as kids.  Then we grow up.  Same trials and tribulations that every previous generation had.  Nonetheless I've sensed a change for the worse in society overall since the mid to late 90's.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »

I understand that. Some folks had a good time during the Black Plague, but that was a horrid era.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »
Now when Bairyn finds it too hot or cold in the bedroom I can just grab my phone and change the temperature without even getting out of bed.

Screw the past, gimme more future!

I thought that we were spoiled by technology in the '90s. It seems like the Daniel Boone era now.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

@KSM32   I'm with you man!!!  In addition, COMMON COURTESY has wilted away.  I've noticed it for years now.  Sometimes I fall into the nostalgia of thinking about 'the good old days.'  However, there were problems in any generation.  We didn't have responsibility as kids.  Then we grow up.  Same trials and tribulations that every previous generation had.  Nonetheless I've sensed a change for the worse in society overall since the mid to late 90's.
Yes, common courtesy has indeed wilted. Now if I wave somebody into traffic I can no longer expect to see a quick wave or nod as a "thanks"  Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.  Not that I need the gesture but it's just one more indication that the ship is going down as the band plays on.

I'm not an "old man" but i sure feel old when it comes to these things. Maybe I am old.  If I didn't have the 6ft privacy fence around the perimiter of the house I would definately be yelling at kids to stay off my lawn!

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
@Nucky Nolan I'm a Gen X'er (48).  I do believe there is merit to the phenomenon you speak of.  9/11 was in 2001, so people under 30 now wouldn't even be teenagers when the tragedy happened.  So I'm thinking it's just them relishing childhood when there were no responsibilities.  Seeing the country go to war for the first time (in their lives) at that age would have an affect on them; but to be under 30 and yearn for 'the good old days' seems strange to me.  I don't know.  I just feel that the explosion of social media and other technologies, as much as they are useful, have changes societal behaviors for the worse and it affects an entire generation, or more, going forward.

I try to take out the personal and the subjective when I analyze it. That's why I look at the objective opinions of kids. For instance, many of them sing the same song when it comes to their preferences for '80s music. I don't recall my generation yearning for Elvis Presley when I was a kid.

I always thought that 9/11 was the demarcation date. That was when things went from shades of gray to shades of black. Generation Z and many Millennials were born into a world of endless and needless wars, as well as leftist madness with no discernible bottom. Call 911 if you overdose on black pills.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
Pre 9/11 was much better. A lot of things changed that day.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, they're rebooting that show too.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
I think most people are comfortable with their surrounding and society in general from when they were growing up.  There is constant change, some good some bad, and people need to adjust to it - some are better at doing that than others, some don't care for it at all.

I saw a piece on-line from our local paper about the various restaurants, venues, bars, and local semi-celebrates that have been lost recently.  But in that same time frame there were new restaurants, bars, venues, etc that started up - they aren't long time favorites now, but some may be in the future.  There are always new entertainers and others coming along as well.

No matter how appealing any particular time or place in the past was, I wouldn't want to return if there was no internet.  Not to mention modern communications, pharmaceuticals, safer more efficient cars, cleaner air and water, healthier food choices, on and on.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
... I don't recall my generation yearning for Elvis Presley when I was a kid...

My mom watched his shows when he was fat and old.  We had much better music than the Elvis of his last decade and a half, so seeing that no one was interested in looking into his earlier stuff.  But people did like the 50s music (for example Happy Days was pretty popular).  They liked Lawrence Welk enough to support a show.

The thing about the last 40 years of music is it mostly sucked, and got worse by the year.  There is very little good music being made now that makes it's way into the popular culture.  Hasn't been for a long time.  No wonder music and bands from decades ago are still popular.