Rikki Gins Lounge > Random Topics

The EllGab Garden

(1/497) > >>

Rikki Gins:
How does your garden grow?  A couple of the fellows and I were talking about oranges a little while ago and it came to me that we could use a gardening thread around here.  We can discuss our gardens, talk about plants in general, and trees too.  We could also upload photos of our vegetables, fruits and flowers.  (And pests.  Peter W. displayed some nice snail pics on the old board.)  Might be fun, and for starters, I spotted a baby Praying Mantis the other day.  Fascinating creatures.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis   

pate:
I bet it was a Male mantis, they don't get very big.  It's pretty late in the season for baby manti.  It is getting close to egg sack laying/formation time so if your lil' fella "gets lucky" it'll be his head...

I bought five mantis egg sacks for my garden this spring, I haven't seen any running around in months.  I even captured a female and released her a few weeks ago, same story.  I think the birds are eating them.

This year's container garden: Tomatos, squash, cucumbers (complete failure again), and peppers.

I also dug up all the crabgrass and seeded with bentgrass (putting green grass) it is coming in nicely where the dogs are allowing it.  Most of the lawn is Bermuda grass which I actually like because the dogs can't seem to kill it, and I can cut it really low (middle setting on a reel mower, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch).  The bentgrass I overseeded into the Bermuda is slowly coming up.

That bentgrass seed is fairly expensive, I think, 1 lb cost about 16 bucks.  1lb/1000 sqft, lucky I have a tiny backyard.  30 ft by maybe 60-80 ft.  Nice thing about the bentgrass seed I got is that it sprouts in about 3-4 days (or has for me in the three sections I have seeded since mid-August).  Takes a lot of water though.

GrumpyOldMan:
Any of you have a good organic cure for flea beetles?  I brought in some top soil from a local landscaping company a couple of years ago, and I have been dealing with those little bastards ever since.  I've kept them in check by spraying with  pyrethrins, but the less spraying, the better.  Once winter hits, I plan to take a weed burner and torch the hell out of my little garden plot.  I don't know if that will do any good, but the thought of burning the little bastards unborn makes me happy.

GravitySucks:

--- Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on September 25, 2018, 08:02:14 PM ---Any of you have a good organic cure for flea beetles?  I brought in some top soil from a local landscaping company a couple of years ago, and I have been dealing with those little bastards ever since.  I've kept them in check by spraying with  pyrethrins, but the less spraying, the better.  Once winter hits, I plan to take a weed burner and torch the hell out of my little garden plot.  I don't know if that will do any good, but the thought of burning the little bastards unborn makes me happy.

--- End quote ---

Maybe diatomaceous earth?

ShayP:

--- Quote from: GravitySucks on September 25, 2018, 08:06:45 PM ---Maybe diatomaceous earth?

--- End quote ---

Gravity is on to something.  I can't speak from personal experience because I do not have a green thumb.  However, my cousin has gardens of all varieties and swears by the stuff.  It's definitely worth a shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version