Author Topic: The EllGab Slice of Life Thread  (Read 2061 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: The EllGab Slice of Life Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2024, 10:12:08 AM »
It was midi October 2005.  I was sitting on my balcony two blocks from the ocean in Jacksonville Beach.  There was a weather situation I've never seen before or since.  Clouds descended to about the top floor of the 15-story condos on the beach.  Behind them over the Ocean a more or less full moon was rising.  It illuminated the clouds like an old rear screen projector.  Flying very slowly through the clouds was a triangular-shaped UFO.  It had no lights and the only way I saw it was because of the weird lighting.  It was flying in a higher lane than the Navy helicopters would fly and much lower than the commer coal airlines.
Holy cow. That is great!  I mentioned last night on my broadcast that I might tell of my (and wife's) sighting, but am reluctant to do so. Think I'll do it.

Painted a great picture there, Juan.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2024, 10:37:40 AM »
Right down the middle of the road, the whole way, miles and miles, is a ditch, maybe 10 feet deep and 4 or 5 feet wide.  No light poles, or any poles, on the side of the road, no wires anywhere, no signs. 

Are you sure this wasn't Cape Coral, Florida?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2024, 10:46:59 AM »
@KSM the cars that passed you were afraid you were a Robert Johnson follower.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2024, 10:50:51 AM »
@KSM the cars that passed you were afraid you were a Robert Johnson follower.
The driver asked me about 10 minutes into the ride if the devil showed up or not. He was a cool guy. Led foot, too.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2024, 10:56:52 AM »
I said that it was because quiet time started at 10pm. Not another word from him until the morning.

Prison training.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2024, 11:35:01 AM »
This was my first movie theatre experience, so I had to be pretty young, oh, say about 5 years old or thereabouts.  Dad took me into the theatre and gave me an aisle seat and he took the next one in.  The movie started up and I marveled at how big the people looked up there on the screen.  Obviously I have no recollection of what movie was playing.  It was black and white film and there were people gathered around a living room setting, that much I remember. 

I can't remember what prompted me to get up from my seat and walk down the aisle towards the screen.  Possibly I didn't understand the principles of projected films, or who knows, perhaps I actually thought that there were real people up there.  Anyway, Dad hadn't noticed that I left, and I was able to make it all the way down to the screen area.

Dark as it was in there, I found some side steps leading up to the screen.  I walked up them, and there I was, face to face with those really big people.  I had an urge to look behind the screen because surely, those people were all sitting around back there, right?

I glanced behind the screen and I swear, I could see all the actors in there.  One in particular, a lady wearing a 1950s black evening dress. She was casually sitting in a living room chair, puffing away on a cigarette.  She turned her head and looked right at me. 

Just then, a hand was placed on one of my shoulders.  It was Dad.  He wasn't mad or anything.  He patiently guided me back to our seats where we watched the rest of the movie.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2024, 03:30:42 AM »
A number of my slices of life took part in an old pool hall in the little town of Monroe, Oregon.  We Gins boys got to spend some summers there, while staying with the grand folk.  My Granddad Hibby owned the pool hall.  Before I relate any of the occurrences, I should take you back in time to the 1950s and give you a personal tour of the place.   

It was a fairly large wooden building with some big windows up front, though they were treated with something so that you couldn't see through them all that well.  (Privacy for all the customers in there, I guess.)

There was a sign on the door that read "No Minors Allowed" but for some reason Granddad would let us kids in.  When I first visited the place, I was young enough to where I could read but my spelling was way off.  I thought the sign meant miners.  Now why wouldn't they be allowed in?

Step through the big wooden door and the first thing to assail you would be the smell.  Best described as a mixture of beer, vanilla, air conditioning Freon, tobacco, chocolate, oil (the wooden floor was treated with it) and pool cube chalk. 

A few steps in and the counter, or bar if you will, was situated on the left, running east to west.  It wasn't very big but it was ample enough to serve beer to four or five customers seated on bar stools.  On top was a box of Dutch Masters Cigars, bags of Planters Peanuts, some packets of beef jerky and the cash register of course.  Located on the wall behind the counter was a refrigerated storage area for bottles of beer and soda pop, such as Coke, Root Beer and Seven Up.  Built into the back of the counter itself was a freezer unit that held big tubs of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice-cream.

If you walked to the opposite wall you would come across a big glassed in candy display case.  All the familiar brands were there, such as Three Musketeers, York Peppermint Patties, Milky Way bars, Snickers and the like.  Magazines were displayed along the wall.  I can't remember any titles, but there were a few girlie magazines there.  (Fairly tame stuff but still fun to look at, when you're a kid.)  There was also a revolving rack that displayed paperback books.  There was an automated, stand up bowling machine by the wall.  You slid a puck type of object down the 'lane' and sensor wires would elevate the plastic pins upwards, according to how well you angled it in.

In the middle of the establishment were two big pool tables and beyond them some felt covered card tables with wooden chairs.  Above them, on the far wall sat an old, black and white television.  A highly popular feature, especially if there was a boxing match going on during business hours. 

There was a door in the back of the pool hall and once you walked through it, you were outside.  A small pathway took you past a storage room and then the bathroom, a pretty simple affair with toilet, toilet paper, a small sink to wash hands with and a paper towel dispenser.  That back area was a small, open court, only aside from the storeroom and bathroom, there was nothing there, no roof or anything.  The ground was paved with hundreds of pop bottle caps.  They were all pounded into the ground, to keep weeds from growing, I guess.

And that's it.  I think I've about covered it all.  Oh, yeah, what brand of beer did Granddad serve?  Well, there was a nifty, electric powered advertisement sign hanging on the wall behind the counter.  It showed a shimmering, animated waterfall for Olympia Beer.  "It's the Water"

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2024, 04:03:44 AM »
(Fairly tame stuff but still fun to look at, when you're a kid.)

I don't see why it wouldn't be fun for adults, too.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2024, 08:55:30 AM »
A number of my slices of life took part in an old pool hall in the little town of Monroe, Oregon.  We Gins boys got to spend some summers there, while staying with the grand folk.  My Granddad Hibby owned the pool hall.  Before I relate any of the occurrences, I should take you back in time to the 1950s and give you a personal tour of the place.   

It was a fairly large wooden building with some big windows up front, though they were treated with something so that you couldn't see through them all that well.  (Privacy for all the customers in there, I guess.)

There was a sign on the door that read "No Minors Allowed" but for some reason Granddad would let us kids in.  When I first visited the place, I was young enough to where I could read but my spelling was way off.  I thought the sign meant miners.  Now why wouldn't they be allowed in?

Step through the big wooden door and the first thing to assail you would be the smell.  Best described as a mixture of beer, vanilla, air conditioning Freon, tobacco, chocolate, oil (the wooden floor was treated with it) and pool cube chalk. 

A few steps in and the counter, or bar if you will, was situated on the left, running east to west.  It wasn't very big but it was ample enough to serve beer to four or five customers seated on bar stools.  On top was a box of Dutch Masters Cigars, bags of Planters Peanuts, some packets of beef jerky and the cash register of course.  Located on the wall behind the counter was a refrigerated storage area for bottles of beer and soda pop, such as Coke, Root Beer and Seven Up.  Built into the back of the counter itself was a freezer unit that held big tubs of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice-cream.

If you walked to the opposite wall you would come across a big glassed in candy display case.  All the familiar brands were there, such as Three Musketeers, York Peppermint Patties, Milky Way bars, Snickers and the like.  Magazines were displayed along the wall.  I can't remember any titles, but there were a few girlie magazines there.  (Fairly tame stuff but still fun to look at, when you're a kid.)  There was also a revolving rack that displayed paperback books.  There was an automated, stand up bowling machine by the wall.  You slid a puck type of object down the 'lane' and sensor wires would elevate the plastic pins upwards, according to how well you angled it in.

In the middle of the establishment were two big pool tables and beyond them some felt covered card tables with wooden chairs.  Above them, on the far wall sat an old, black and white television.  A highly popular feature, especially if there was a boxing match going on during business hours. 

There was a door in the back of the pool hall and once you walked through it, you were outside.  A small pathway took you past a storage room and then the bathroom, a pretty simple affair with toilet, toilet paper, a small sink to wash hands with and a paper towel dispenser.  That back area was a small, open court, only aside from the storeroom and bathroom, there was nothing there, no roof or anything.  The ground was paved with hundreds of pop bottle caps.  They were all pounded into the ground, to keep weeds from growing, I guess.

And that's it.  I think I've about covered it all.  Oh, yeah, what brand of beer did Granddad serve?  Well, there was a nifty, electric powered advertisement sign hanging on the wall behind the counter.  It showed a shimmering, animated waterfall for Olympia Beer.  "It's the Water"

That was great, Rikki, Olympia beer was selling still in the 1990s in Victoria. The cans of course still boasted "it's the water"

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2024, 10:51:35 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be fun for adults, too.

I'm sure it was, possibly more so as the adults had the patience to read the accompanying articles.  Men's adventure magazines mostly, that had bikini clad beauties in them, though I do recall seeing a Playboy on the stand, every so often.  In that case I doubt even the adults bothered with the articles. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2024, 10:53:25 AM »
That was great, Rikki, Olympia beer was selling still in the 1990s in Victoria. The cans of course still boasted "it's the water"

Thanks for the info, KSM.  I wasn't aware of that.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2024, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks for the info, KSM.  I wasn't aware of that.

Haven't thought about Olympia in forever.  Used to watch Miss Olympia lock horns with Miss Budweiser in the hydroplane races on the Detroit River.  Good stuff

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2024, 11:59:58 AM »
Haven't thought about Olympia in forever.  Used to watch Miss Olympia lock horns with Miss Budweiser in the hydroplane races on the Detroit River.  Good stuff

Ha, that's wild.  Love the picture, WAN!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2024, 12:05:35 PM »
Ha, that's wild.  Love the picture, WAN!

and her mortal enemy - Miss Bud

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2024, 12:14:01 PM »
and her mortal enemy - Miss Bud

Nice!  Do hydroplanes still race there?