Author Topic: The Major  (Read 61351 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
The Major
« on: January 01, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
Introducing my good friend the Major.  Major Amos B. Hoople to be more precise.  He runs a boarding house, or rather his wife Martha runs it.    Enjoy his adventures.  These daily cartoons will be from the year 1927.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Public Domain

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The Major
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »
Introducing my good friend the Major.  Major Amos B. Hoople to be more precise.  He runs a boarding house, or rather his wife Martha runs it.    Enjoy his adventures.  These daily cartoons will be from the year 1927.

Public Domain

Like!
Which one of those guys is Major Amos?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 01:56:59 PM »

Public Domain

Here is a story for you, @Rikki Gins
When I was around 16 I would play at a hole in the wall bar in Montreal called Station 10.
You could fit maybe 100 people in the place.
It was a long, narrow room with the stage at the back.
Each time I played there there were a group of Inuit women who would get people to buy them beer and they would pull their bar stools close to the stage.
You could tell when they were on their second drink because, without fail, they would just fall off their stools.
It was like their spine turned to jelly!
Each of them would repeat the stool fall at least 6 times a night.

AND THAT IS WHEN I GOT TO STAY OUT LATE WITH ESKIMOS!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »

Like!
Which one of those guys is Major Amos?

The rotund guy on the left is the Major.  The guy with the cigarette is Clyde and that's Mack reading the paper.  The third boarder is named Buster but he didn't make it into the New Year's panel.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Here is a story for you, @Rikki Gins
When I was around 16 I would play at a hole in the wall bar in Montreal called Station 10.
You could fit maybe 100 people in the place.
It was a long, narrow room with the stage at the back.
Each time I played there there were a group of Inuit women who would get people to buy them beer and they would pull their bar stools close to the stage.
You could tell when they were on their second drink because, without fail, they would just fall off their stools.
It was like their spine turned to jelly!
Each of them would repeat the stool fall at least 6 times a night.

AND THAT IS WHEN I GOT TO STAY OUT LATE WITH ESKIMOS!

Fascinating!  I can so picture that by the way you described it.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
Fascinating!  I can so picture that by the way you described it.

Maybe there is a youtube of it
 ;D

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
''Here's one for your stamp collection''. 

Haha, I love that old expression and haven't heard it for years.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 03:45:07 PM »
''Here's one for your stamp collection''. 

Haha, I love that old expression and haven't heard it for years.

Yes, that's another thing I like about the strip...dialogue.  They use lots of phrases like 'He's more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.'  I don't know what those those phrases are called, but I like to read them.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »
Yes, that's another thing I like about the strip...dialogue.  They use lots of phrases like 'He's more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.'  I don't know what those those phrases are called, but I like to read them.

Are they idioms?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »
Are they idioms?

It looks like it, Annie, thanks.  You will like the idioms in Our Boarding House.  Clyde and Mack were especially good at using them.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
Great, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for your contributions to Ellgab.   :)

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 08:42:18 PM »
It looks like it, Annie, thanks.  You will like the idioms in Our Boarding House.  Clyde and Mack were especially good at using them.

That makes me happier than a dog with two tails!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »

Sorry, but the Major and Company take Sundays off so there won't be a cartoon today.  Yes, I know it's Saturday, but back in 1927 it was Sunday.  I'll give you a heads-up on the Major, though. 

1.  In the year 1927, the major, as lazy as he was, actually had a job.  He was some kind of justice of the peace, though it seems like he hardly ever went to work.

2.  Along with his wife Martha and the three boarders, Clyde, Mack and Buster, there are additional characters that crop up every now and then.  Jake from Chicago, his look alike brother who also had some type of law enforcement job.  A nephew Alvin who shows up here and there.  The denizens of the Owl's Club, the major's favorite drinking spot.  Also, there is a scruffy, unnamed cat that can be spotted on occasion. 

3.  There appears to be a wind-up record player in the house, but the predominant form of entertainment is a stand up radio.

4.  Martha cooks meals for the boarders.  There is only one bathroom and a constant effort to be the first boarder to utilize the water while still hot.

So there you have it.  Everyone will be back tomorrow.     

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 06:32:36 PM »

Sorry, but the Major and Company take Sundays off so there won't be a cartoon today.  Yes, I know it's Saturday, but back in 1927 it was Sunday.  I'll give you a heads-up on the Major, though. 

1.  In the year 1927, the major, as lazy as he was, actually had a job.  He was some kind of justice of the peace, though it seems like he hardly ever went to work.

2.  Along with his wife Martha and the three boarders, Clyde, Mack and Buster, there are additional characters that crop up every now and then.  Jake from Chicago, his look alike brother who also had some type of law enforcement job.  A nephew Alvin who shows up here and there.  The denizens of the Owl's Club, the major's favorite drinking spot.  Also, there is a scruffy, unnamed cat that can be spotted on occasion. 

3.  There appears to be a wind-up record player in the house, but the predominant form of entertainment is a stand up radio.

4.  Martha cooks meals for the boarders.  There is only one bathroom and a constant effort to be the first boarder to utilize the water while still hot.

So there you have it.  Everyone will be back tomorrow.     

Looking forward to it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »

Public Domain