Author Topic: World War II History. The Men and the Equipment.  (Read 9307 times)

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
World War II History. The Men and the Equipment.
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
I think I will post pics and write a little snippet about what you see in the pic. I encourage anyone else who is interested in WW II history to do the same.

I'll start off with this pic.

This small tank appears to be an Italian manufactured L6-40 Light tank. By the time it entered service in 1940 it wasn't even adequate for the light tank or recon roll. Lightly armed and armored it was barely suitable for use against infantry.

This pic appears to have been taken in 1944 or 45, very late in the war. It is not clear if this tank was being operated by the Germans or Hungarians. Captured or confiscated L6 tanks were used by the 22nd SS Cavalry Division. Which was composed of mostly Hungarians of German extraction.

Both countries used the Balkan Kreuz as insignia with the only difference being the color.
This example is either knocked out or abandoned. It is being inspected by a Soviet Soldier.

Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: World War II History. The Men and the Equipment.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
I think I will post pics and write a little snippet about what you see in the pic. I encourage anyone else who is interested in WW II history to do the same.

I'll start off with this pic.

This small tank appears to be an Italian manufactured L6-40 Light tank. By the time it entered service in 1940 it wasn't even adequate for the light tank or recon roll. Lightly armed and armored it was barely suitable for use against infantry.

This pic appears to have been taken in 1944 or 45, very late in the war. It is not clear if this tank was being operated by the Germans or Hungarians. Captured or confiscated L6 tanks were used by the 22nd SS Cavalry Division. Which was composed of mostly Hungarians of German extraction.

Both countries used the Balkan Kreuz as insignia with the only difference being the color.
This example is either knocked out or abandoned. It is being inspected by a Soviet Soldier.
Or Croatians?
I wouldn't trust Italian tanks, especially when modified for flame-throwers! Ha. They make beautiful cars and can race but safety and such, not so much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_L6/40

The redirections and threads boogles the mind. The Balkans are so crazy but I learn things every time going down that rabbit warren. What a screwed up place due to position between powers and due to the ethnic, religious, political stuff. And just personal, with blood feuds, etc. Amazing. I'm prone to throw-out the term "balkanization" when I mention desire of some international, and external, enemies of our country to turn us into it, but always amazed, in doing so, how the real area was/is so much more complex and, frankly, crazy.

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
Or Croatians?
I wouldn't trust Italian tanks, especially when modified for flame-throwers! Ha. They make beautiful cars and can race but safety and such, not so much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_L6/40

The redirections and threads boogles the mind. The Balkans are so crazy but I learn things every time going down that rabbit warren. What a screwed up place due to position between powers and due to the ethnic, religious, political stuff. And just personal, with blood feuds, etc. Amazing. I'm prone to throw-out the term "balkanization" when I mention desire of some international, and external, enemies of our country to turn us into it, but always amazed, in doing so, how the real area was/is so much more complex and, frankly, crazy.

To my knowledge, the Croatians did not possess any of these scrap piles. I do know they had a few CV-33 or CV-35 Italian tankettes and apparently they also had at least on example of a French produced H-39 light tank.

Note the Insignia on the tank.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:15:06 PM »
Men and equipment huh?  I do believe that I'll have fun in here.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
Men and equipment huh?  I do believe that I'll have fun in here.

Oh my!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
The Germans said the Fiat tanks had one forward speed and three reverse.

I’ve known several hot women from the Balkans.
Merry Christmas

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
Oh my!

I guess I walked straight into that one......................

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
I guess I walked straight into that one......................

Well, I don't know if I would say "straight"..................... :o

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
I think I will post pics and write a little snippet about what you see in the pic...

I recently learned the allies used a considerable number of gliders in WWII.  The US built 13,000 Waco CG-4As - most were used in airborne troop landings and were abandoned after their flight.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
This thread has inspired me to dig out some of my father's WWII details.

He was in the Army Air Corps during WWII and was shot down over Germany and was a prisoner of war. He was a bombardier and flew missions in the B-26. The photo in the attachment below is identified as the "Martin B-26B Marauder".

I think this is a photo card he had of a restored B-26.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
This is his last mission sheet showing when he went MIA and was captured:

[attachment[/attachment]

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »
This thread has inspired me to dig out some of my father's WWII details.

He was in the Army Air Corps during WWII and was shot down over Germany and was a prisoner of war. He was a bombardier and flew missions in the B-26. The photo in the attachment below is identified as the "Martin B-26B Marauder".

I think this is a photo card he had of a restored B-26.

That is really interesting MaxPower.    Thank Heavens your Father survived being shot down and his imprisonment.  My Dad and all of my Uncles were WWII veterans as well and I'll post about their experiences as time allows.

The B-26 was a wonderful airplane.   In case you have missed it, there has been some recent B-26 Marauder posts on the site:
http://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=91.msg71762#msg71762
http://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=34.msg71933#msg71933

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »
That is really interesting MaxPower.    Thank Heavens your Father survived being shot down and his imprisonment.  My Dad and all of my Uncles were WWII veterans as well and I'll post about their experiences as time allows.

The B-26 was a wonderful airplane.   In case you have missed it, there has been some recent B-26 Marauder posts on the site:
http://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=91.msg71762#msg71762
http://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=34.msg71933#msg71933
Thanks for the links, I will check them out. It would be interesting to hear about your Father's and Uncle's WWII experiences. Post some of the details when you can.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the links, I will check them out. It would be interesting to hear about your Father's and Uncle's WWII experiences. Post some of the details when you can.

I definitely will. 

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
This is a map of German prison camps my father had in his papers. I think he got it at one of the WWII POW reunions: