Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1428008 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #615 on: April 09, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, @FISH.  You are always welcome here at the 100 Years Ago thread.  My sample of cursive is kind of remarkable when you consider that I'm a lefty.  (That horrible over-hook was nearly impossible to overcome.)  The nuns would surely have run screaming if they had seen my cursive writing from the age of eight.  Thankfully, we didn't write anything down during the Sunday class.  We read from a nice, pastel colored booklet that I gradually chewed to a pulp out of sheer boredom.  When a pretty nun saw what I had done she was shocked and bewildered but there was no ruler to the knuckles.  I was kicked out of the church, though.  The priest told Mom that my older brothers could continue attending church, but that I was a hopeless case.  I'm OK with that.     

Well that doesn't see like a very priestly thing for him to say!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2019, 12:55:34 AM »
Well that doesn't see like a very priestly thing for him to say!

No, it wasn't, but I think that there was an ulterior motive for him to have said that, beyond my chewing up the book.  After the passing of so many years, I'm pretty sure that I can join up again, anytime that I want.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2019, 01:04:49 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., April 10, 1919.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »
Thanks for the info, @FISH.  You are always welcome here at the 100 Years Ago thread.  My sample of cursive is kind of remarkable when you consider that I'm a lefty.  (That horrible over-hook was nearly impossible to overcome.)  The nuns would surely have run screaming if they had seen my cursive writing from the age of eight.  Thankfully, we didn't write anything down during the Sunday class.  We read from a nice, pastel colored booklet that I gradually chewed to a pulp out of sheer boredom.  When a pretty nun saw what I had done she was shocked and bewildered but there was no ruler to the knuckles.  I was kicked out of the church, though.  The priest told Mom that my older brothers could continue attending church, but that I was a hopeless case.  I'm OK with that.     
@Rikki Gins , thanks for giving me a good morning laugh. I always said "you can not trust a lefty".  My brother is a lefty. He is an incredible musician. He would tell me that most musical instruments are for left handed dominance. The best musicians are left handed, according to my brother.  He may be "right" ::)  Being left handed is a gift. Also I want to note his penmanship is horrible.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #619 on: April 10, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
@Rikki Gins , thanks for giving me a good morning laugh. I always said "you can not trust a lefty".  My brother is a lefty. He is an incredible musician. He would tell me that most musical instruments are for left handed dominance. The best musicians are left handed, according to my brother.  He may be "right" ::)  Being left handed is a gift. Also I want to note his penmanship is horrible.

Are you left handed @FISH ?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Are you left handed @FISH ?
@anniem , right handed for the most part. However, I learned how to how to hold a plaster trowel with both hands. Are you a lefty?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #621 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
From Wiki:https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/remembering-when-the-nhl-canceled-the-1919-cup-final-due-to-flu-pandemic/
really, who gets mumps in 2014 2019?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #622 on: April 10, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
@anniem , right handed for the most part. However, I learned how to how to hold a plaster trowel with both hands. Are you a lefty?

Ambidextrous. I can learn either way. In kindergarden they let you do what you wanted, it felt the same in either so I just wrote lefty. Scissors I did righty.

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #623 on: April 11, 2019, 04:38:15 AM »
@Rikki Gins  , if the good nuns saw that "u", you would have been sent to the cloakroom. Greetings, I am pulling up my roots in the HW thread. @Bart Ell  suggested I should take a stroll over and take a look at your postings.  I wonder if cursive penmanship will become obsolete. I was taught the Palmer Method of penmanship by the good nuns. 
I am thankful that I learned how to read and write cursive writing. I am a family tree nerd. One must be able to read cursive writing if you are reading old records. The first Federal Population Census was taken in 1790. On Ancestry, 1940 is the last Federal Census that is available. All Federal Census records are written in cursive writing.

Reading it is fine. I think most of us old timers were taught how to write in cursive.  Now understanding what I write might be a chore because my writing is horrible.

:(
Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #624 on: April 11, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »
Reading it is fine. I think most of us old timers were taught how to write in cursive.  Now understanding what I write might be a chore because my writing is horrible.
:(

Mine is too   ???

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #625 on: April 12, 2019, 12:43:52 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., April 12, 1919.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #626 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram., April 12, 1919.

In the 100 years since the Spanish flu outbreak, there have been four influenza pandemics: 1957-1958, 1968-1969, 1977-1978, and 2009-2010. None were as lethal as the 1918 outbreak.
I sign up for the flu shot every year.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2019, 01:01:12 AM »
In the 100 years since the Spanish flu outbreak, there have been four influenza pandemics: 1957-1958, 1968-1969, 1977-1978, and 2009-2010. None were as lethal as the 1918 outbreak.
I sign up for the flu shot every year.

I think I had the 2009 one.  I was at work and made the mistake of talking with a guy that was going home due to being sick.  I started working and got so sick that I could hardly stand up.  I told two guys that I was going home and they both got sick as dogs later that night.  This was the only flu I ever had that resulted in me getting bronchitis and I had to use inhalers etc.  Since then, I get the flu shot every year too.  Besides, it's the only thing I can get for free on Medicare. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #628 on: April 14, 2019, 01:09:54 AM »
An Image from page 267 of "Lansdowne School and the World War" (1919)

Joseph Ryan entered the service June 27, 1918. He was sent to Camp Greenleaf for training and was placed in Evacuation Ambulance Company No. 15. He sailed for overseas August23, 1918. While on his way to the front he was attacked by the flu and was taken to Base Hospital 101, September 30th, and died on the morning of October 1st. He was buried in the American Cemetery at St. Nazaire. Everyone who knew Private Ryan remembers him as a kind friend and a genial companion. His loss will be keenly felt.
No known copyright restrictions  https://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #629 on: April 14, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »
Working on the family tree, I discover a long lost great uncle served in WWI. As I researched his military history, I learned that he served with Co L, 109 INF, 28th Div.  "The 28th received its baptism of fire on July 15, 1918, during the German Army's Champagne-Marne Offensive. Four companies from the 28th were attached to a French division on the front line, while the rest of the division took up second-line defense positions. Two of the companies, L and M, were from the 109th Infantry Regiment made of the old 1st and 13th Pennsylvania Regiments. In the early hours of July 15, the German 36th Division crossed the Marne River and attacked the Allied front. When the adjacent French units fell back, L and M Companies were surrounded. Wave after wave of Germans attacked the Pennsylvanians. Despite the overwhelming odds, the two companies stubbornly held their position and inflicted heavy casualties. At 0800 the remnants of L and M Companies withdrew and fought their way back to the front line of the 109th, five kilometers away. Of the 500 assigned officers and men only 150 remained. The brunt of the German offensive now fell on the 109 Infantry and the other units of the 28th Division. For three days, the 109th held its positions while under heavy attack. Fighting in ravines, woods and trenches, the doughboys fought like veterans. A German after-action report described the battle as "the most severe defeat of the war." For its staunch defense the 109th was nicknamed "Men of Iron" and the 28th was later dubbed the "Iron Division"."
 http://www.bloodybucket.be/109thIRengl.htm

There was no photo of this long lost great uncle who was 1 of the 150 men who survived. He was a man who was made from IRON.
On Ebay, I purchased a 5 volume history on the 28th Division from WW1. Amazing history and photographs in this publication. A photo was published of every soldier who served in the 28th. I found great uncle’s photo. His photo is part of the Family Tree. (Photo of 2 of the volumes I purchased. I purchased all 5 volumes).

[attachment[/attachment]