Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511064 times)

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 21, 2019, 07:48:38 AM »
How do you store your collection, @Rikki Gins ?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
How do you store your collection, @Rikki Gins ?

Hi @Bart Ell, thanks for the nice question.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Once a vintage postcard with a message on the back is posted, I put it in the above photo album made up of transparent pockets that show the front of the card, and then by turning the page, you can read the message that had been written on the back of the card.  (Each page holds four postcards.)  An unused postcard (without message or stamp) that has been posted is stored in that special container to the right.  Also in the postcard box, are postcards waiting to be posted in this thread.  There is a section of unposted miscellaneous postcards in the box plus another section of vintage restaurant postcards that haven't been posted yet.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #692 on: January 23, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »

This postcard will go in the photo/see thru album.

This interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:
October 12, 1912.  Former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt was shot and wounded by a .38 caliber bullet fired by John Schrank, a New York City saloonkeeper, who was standing at a distance of only 30 feet. The bullet was slowed when it passed through Roosevelt's metal eyeglasses case and the folded, fifty-page manuscript of Roosevelt's prepared speech, but still penetrated three inches into his chest, too close to the heart to be safely removed by surgery. Schrank was tackled by bystanders before he could fire a second shot, and Roosevelt went on to deliver his speech before getting medical treatment. Schrank would be found insane and would spend the rest of his life at a mental hospital in Waupun, Wisconsin, where he would die on September 15, 1943.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2019, 11:57:34 PM »

The Claxton Fruit Cake Company is still around. (https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/)  I was actually going to order a fruit cake from them last Christmas but it skipped my mind.  Maybe next year.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #694 on: January 25, 2019, 01:24:57 AM »

The Claxton Fruit Cake Company is still around. (https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/)  I was actually going to order a fruit cake from them last Christmas but it skipped my mind.  Maybe next year.

This is my go to for fruit cakes.

https://www.collinstreet.com
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #695 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:22 AM »

I can see why.  That is one yummy looking fruitcake.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #696 on: January 25, 2019, 03:18:13 AM »

A Geisha and her cat - Postcard - Japan - 1926

"According to “Things Japanese” by Basil Hall Chamberlain, first published in 1890, a cat (neko) is a nickname colloquially applied to the youngest and most attractive singing-girls (geisha), the reason being that they bewitch men with their artful ways, like magic cats with several long tails (nekomata), while young courtesans (oiran) are called foxes (kitsune) for much the same reason."
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #697 on: January 25, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »

Thanks for this @GravitySucks !
My grandparents used to order fruitcakes from some place in Texas. I couldn't remember the name of the place but I think this is it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #698 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »

There appears to be at least one Collin Street Bakery postcard out there somewhere.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #699 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:19 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Kid

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #700 on: January 26, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »

This postcard will go in the photo/see thru album.

This interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:

Hi Rik, awhile back we were talking about condition for older cards.  Given this card is over 100 years old, what would the condition for this card be considered (poor, fair, good, very good, etc), and would it be of interest to collectors?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #701 on: January 26, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
Here is one of the ones I have from the collection.  It appears to be a photo that's been turned into a post card - as Rik has mentioned being somewhat common in years past.  I'm hoping someone can provide some information on the ship - type of ship, country, era, etc.

One clue may be the ''17 - '' in the lower left on the front side.  There are sailors crowded on the left side, and a few others in other parts of the ship.  The flag on the far right looks like the US flag

As two thirds of these cards are preWWI, and the others are mostly pre WWII, is this a WWI battleship?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
Here is another.  I mentioned quite a few post cards in the collection have holiday themes and are whimsical.  A certain number are of cats (heh).

This one has real pussy willow buds glued to the front, although the one on the far left is half gone and the one next to that is completely gone.  I enhanced the image of the back in order to bring out a bit of writing that I hadn't even noticed before.

Since both of these have prices penciled on the back, the person who had them must have purchased a few from shops in addition to keeping the ones people sent her.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #703 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:57 AM »
Here is one of the ones I have from the collection.  It appears to be a photo that's been turned into a post card - as Rik has mentioned being somewhat common in years past.  I'm hoping someone can provide some information on the ship - type of ship, country, era, etc.

One clue may be the ''17 - '' in the lower left on the front side.  There are sailors crowded on the left side, and a few others in other parts of the ship.  The flag on the far right looks like the US flag

As two thirds of these cards are preWWI, and the others are mostly pre WWII, is this a WWI battleship?

It’s not big enough to be a battleship and it doesn’t have large turrets that I can see. I would rule out a destroyer and cruiser for the same reason.  I searched for “WW I Oiler ship and found a single stack Ship that may be similar.

but this oiler doesn’t have a large stern like the postcard. It might be some type of Navy supply ship? The ship in the background seems to resemble it.
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #704 on: January 27, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »
Hi @Bart Ell, thanks for the nice question.

Once a vintage postcard with a message on the back is posted, I put it in the above photo album made up of transparent pockets that show the front of the card, and then by turning the page, you can read the message that had been written on the back of the card.  (Each page holds four postcards.)  An unused postcard (without message or stamp) that has been posted is stored in that special container to the right.  Also in the postcard box, are postcards waiting to be posted in this thread.  There is a section of unposted miscellaneous postcards in the box plus another section of vintage restaurant postcards that haven't been posted yet.

Almost exactly how I imagined it!
One day I will get a postcard into that photo album!