Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511021 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A nice, nighttime view of a river front in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The card was mailed on August 18, 1949.  Nothing earthshaking happened on that day.  Yours truly was celebrating his first full week of life and a bandleader and his orchestra recorded the following song:

Oswego was named after an Iroquois word for “pouring out place”   
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »

A nice, nighttime view of a river front in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

C'mon man.  This is cruel.   Did Fritz get the gig at Price Waterhouse?  What happened to Jean?  Was she okay?

I gots to know!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »
C'mon man.  This is cruel.   Did Fritz get the gig at Price Waterhouse?  What happened to Jean?  Was she okay?

I gots to know!

Poor practice to quote your own posts but it would seem that all would be well with Fritz and Jean for many decades.

Fritz was a lucky guy - Jean was beautiful!

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=jean-w-wolfert&pid=16209831&fhid=4506

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Poor practice to quote your own posts but it would seem that all would be well with Fritz and Jean for many decades.

Fritz was a lucky guy - Jean was beautiful!

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=jean-w-wolfert&pid=16209831&fhid=4506

Good researching there, Walks.  I looked them up and couldn't find anything on Fritz and Jean, but I did see that the dad, C.K. Wolfert was an architect and attic ventilation expert, who supplied information for the handbook "Fundamentals of Residential Attic Ventilation: A Basic Reference Handbook Covering Attic Ventilation Requirements, Available Equipment, Research Data, and Recommendations."  I made up a bunch of crap about Fritz and Jean but I pulled the post once I saw that you got Jean's obit.  Yes, a very pretty lady.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »

Here is a nice Shady Rest looking motel to stay at in case we are out and about in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I wonder if it is in Shay P's neck of the woods?  Is Williamsburg close to Richmond?  I think the place is still there, although some online reviews were only as recent as 2007.  The postcard has the address, so I looked it up on Google Earth and there it is, looking pretty much the same.  It should be noted that those Google Earth pics can be a number of years old, though.

Also, there really was a Colonel Waller.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Oswego was named after an Iroquois word for “pouring out place”

Interesting, Gravity.  Thank you.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2018, 05:14:08 AM »
Here is a nice Shady Rest looking motel to stay at in case we are out and about in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I wonder if it is in Shay P's neck of the woods?  Is Williamsburg close to Richmond?  I think the place is still there, although some online reviews were only as recent as 2007.  The postcard has the address, so I looked it up on Google Earth and there it is, looking pretty much the same.  It should be noted that those Google Earth pics can be a number of years old, though.

I have been by there quite a few times when I'd go to Colonial Williamsburg.  It's about an hour from where I live. 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
I have been by there quite a few times when I'd go to Colonial Williamsburg.  It's about an hour from where I live.

Nice, Shay.  I always like it when EllGabbers can offer a personal touch to these postcards.  I confess though, I was hoping that you would respond to my question, and I do thank you.  ;D

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »

I have a feeling that this is a very old postcard but I have no way of telling.  I couldn't find anything on the present status of the Hotel Moreau either, though I found some interesting info on the guy who once owned it.  The more cultured members of EllGab might know the guy's name; Louis Moreau Gottschalk.  (I didn't know who he was.)  He was a famous American composer and pianist back in the 1800's.  He used to go down to Rio, as in de Janeiro, on occasion, and I guess it was during one of those trips that he purchased the hotel, or had it built, I'm not sure which.  The hotel itself played a major part in Louis' life.  He was giving a concert in Rio when he was felled by an attack of Yellow Fever.  They took him to the hotel where he died (overdosed on quinine) three weeks later.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Moreau_Gottschalk

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »

Well I found  this

At the beginning of the 1880's the Hotel Villa Moreau was inaugurated, located in a farmhouse in the forest, in the street Conde de Bonfim, future neighborhood of the Plant.

Villa Moreau was known as a "French hotel" and considered an example of a hotel that has become semi-calming, according to Gilberto Freyre.

The owner Alexis Jean Moreau, who arrived in Rio de Janeiro before 1870, sold the Moreau Hotel for 120.00 contos to Mother Francisca Xavier Cabrini of the Congregation of Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

The deed of sale of the hotel was signed on November 25, 1908. On February 6, 1909, classes began at Regina Coeli College.

https://de-de.facebook.com/atijucadeantigamente/photos/hotel-villa-moreauusina-1887no-in%C3%ADcio-da-d%C3%A9cada-de-1880-era-inaugurado-o-hotel-v/605891586136292/

Nice looking school

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
Thanks, Walks.  A different Moreau!  I did see Jean's name while searching but I didn't make the connection plus this sentence threw me off track: 
Three weeks later, on December 18, 1869, at the age of 40, he died at his hotel in Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
Thanks, Walks.  A different Moreau!  I did see Jean's name while searching but I didn't make the connection plus this sentence threw me off track:

Well at least he didn't have an Island, eh?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
Well at least he didn't have an Island, eh?

Right, haha.  I came across a wierd site by searching the name Hotel Moreau.  It was full of anime drawings of animal headed people who worked at, (where else?) the Hotel Moreau.  I'd have dropped a link for it but the guy who runs it sounds like a real snob, so I didn't do so.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
Stupid question-- Are they actually that big?

There are no stupid questions in the postcard thread, Spook.  I happen to know that Jackalopes are as big as horses.  Sadly, they are nearly extinct but a few of them still live on...in postcards.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »

Interested in Capital Airlines?  Here is a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Airlines