Moosie

• Dickhead
  • Elluminati
  • Founding member: Bart's Bitchen Babes
Re: linux
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
Bwaaaahh - ha - ha - ha - ha !
+1    That really made me laugh.  ;D

Thank you, I've been enjoying your posts too! It's only funny because it's true!
Praise BE

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2018, 02:38:05 AM »
Thank you, I've been enjoying your posts too! It's only funny because it's true!
You've got a point.  ;)

Hey, this article is from almost a year ago, but...
https://www.networkworld.com/article/3238034/data-center/how-did-linux-come-to-dominate-supercomputing.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2018, 05:02:34 AM »
Whoa !
Check this out...
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
I want to backup my Linux computer - everything, not just data - and don’t want to learn 55 terminal commands to do it. I want quick and easy, like Acronis on Windows. What software do I need?
Merry Christmas

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
clonezilla.
its a bootable flashdrive that lets you clone a existing drive to another.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
clonezilla.
its a bootable flashdrive that lets you clone a existing drive to another.
Yep thats what I use to backup Linux Mint.
However its not as easy as Acronis in Windows is, since clonezilla is a text app.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2018, 06:29:21 AM »
Yep thats what I use to backup Linux Mint.
However its not as easy as Acronis in Windows is, since clonezilla is a text app.
i think its easier, everything is well explained as you do them.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
I want to backup my Linux computer - everything, not just data - and don’t want to learn 55 terminal commands to do it. I want quick and easy, like Acronis on Windows. What software do I need?
if your not interested in a actual disk clone (partition tables, MFT,  boot record etc) then grsync may be up your alley.
it should be available in most repos.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
I want something so that if the drive blows up, I can quickly get going again. So, I suppose a disc image would be easiest.
Merry Christmas

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
@juan

Take a look here to see if it's worth it for you to even try to install QB under wine.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=120

I'm looking into a couple of different applications for accounting software under Linux for you.
I've written off xTuple for the plain and simple fact that the PosgreSQL server has to be configured prior to use. I have a couple more that I'm looking into.
Some of the requirements I'm following are:
1. Freeware, or reasonable price.
2. Minimum requirements met to accomplish the solution.
3. Ease of installation.
4. Avoidance of Wine and Java if possible.
5. Ease of use and good, supporting documentation.

I need some info from you though...
1. Do you require a personal accounting solution or an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) solution ?
2. If personal, what dot -3 file format do you send it to the tax man in. (*.csv, *.aif, *.qbb, *.qxf, *.mny, ...etc.)
     And also, what format does the accountant prefer so he can automatically import it instead of entering it by hand ?
     Or, is this just for your personal use ?
3. Pretty much, I need to know all the functionality that you require to be happy with the solution and to have it satisfactorily
    meet all your requirements.
     (I'm assuming you are looking for a personal accounting software Pkg to make things easier for yourself come April)
3.  Do you require budgeting, and / or vehicle (for business write-off),  functionality ?
4. Do you need to export the files from QB and use them for this years' filing ?
5. Will you ever be going online with the computer this will be installed on, and do you need real-time access to your bank accounts to   
     automatically update (pull into your book-keeping software),  or need to access your accounting software from a mobile device - or will
     this be a 'thick-client' (runs stand-alone on the machine with no cloud or network interaction.) ?
6. How much RAM and what cpu are you using ?  (This will make a difference for the Basic Minimum Requirements needed to run QB.)
     Run '  inxi -CMfSxI  '  sans quotes.  <-- Do NOT Post This Info To This Forum ! ! !
                 visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Pm it to me instead.  (You'll see why when you run the command.  ;) )
     (To install inxi if it's not extant on your system -->  https://www.tecmint.com/inxi-command-to-find-linux-system-information/ )

Note: to copy and paste from the terminal, Highlight the text to be copied > RIGHT click > select copy, and paste it into the PM.
Ctrl + C won't copy from the terminal, but it will terminate any processes that are running in that terminal.  :o    ;)

(If you want to decode the CPU flags, a good listing is here. )

Those are just some of the basics I'll need to know.

If you can live with the limitations for your version of QB (running on Linux), and you won't be going online (NOTE: the data in that webpage is old), then I'd recommend just installing wine and loading QB. That way you can import all your old records and have the functionality you are used to.
If your version of QB is 'garbage' on wine, but you want to try it anyway (old webpage - functionality may have improved,) I'd suggest you write down all the dependencies that wine pulls in with it when it installs, that way, if it doesn't work, you can remove them too, when you remove wine. No need to leave all that cruft on the system.

Play On Linux doesn't officially support Quickbooks, probably because it's such a P.I.T.A.  to get it working acceptably.

If we can't get QB running under Linux, what I'd like you to do is grab a pen and paper, fire up QB (from Doze,) and go through the program - marking down all the functions you regularly use (reports, export, graphing, budgeting, etc.,) and the ones you use occasionally, in two separate lists. Plus, add all the functionality you'd like to incorporate that QB doesn't offer - stuff that'd be nice to have - in a 3rd list. Then send them to me, either posting them here, or PM me - if you would prefer not to air that on a public forum.   
This will make it much easier for me to tailor the solution to your needs.    ;)

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:51 PM »
@juan

I almost forgot to add; If you want to know what all those terminal switches are doing, just '  man inxi  ' in the terminal.   ;)

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
Hi, Logan.  Hey got a silly tech question.  Check PM.  Thanks. ;)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2019, 05:09:08 AM »
@Whistler thanks for your info. I just don’t think it’s worth the trouble of getting QB to work on Linux. I’ve got an old version of Quicken working, so that takes care of my bank accounts. What I liked about QB was the convenience of keeping customer accounts, invoicing, and business checking accounts and outputting financial reports. It looks like there are now some Linux programs that will do that. My business is a one man operation, so I have rather simple needs.
Merry Christmas

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »
@Whistler thanks for your info. I just don’t think it’s worth the trouble of getting QB to work on Linux. I’ve got an old version of Quicken working, so that takes care of my bank accounts. What I liked about QB was the convenience of keeping customer accounts, invoicing, and business checking accounts and outputting financial reports. It looks like there are now some Linux programs that will do that. My business is a one man operation, so I have rather simple needs.
@Hey Big Guy  ;)
If you're happy with the solution you're using, more power to you.  :)
HomeBank was one of the solutions I was looking at for you, and it runs natively on the *nixes.
It has some nice Features worth checking out.   ;)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »
I found manager. It seems to have everything QB does, is more configurable, and is free. GNUCash is pretty good, but the interface looks like 1995.
Merry Christmas