Author Topic: The Great North American 2024 Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024  (Read 416 times)

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2024-april-8

For the Dallas area:

Weather permitting, of course, Dallas area residents will be able to view a Total Solar Eclipse of the sun by the moon on Monday, April 8th, 2024, with total eclipse, that lasts about 4 minutes, beginning at 1:40pm CDT.

The beginning of the eclipse (not the total eclipse) begins at 12:23pm, and the end of the eclipse (not the total eclipse) is at 3:02pm.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/dallas?iso=20240408

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
Re: The Great North American 2024 Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 12:29:26 PM »
The Phillips Solar Eclipse Glasses 55 – Welding Glass Lenses Shade 14 are welding glasses designed for solar eclipse observation. These glasses have exceptionally dark lenses intended solely for solar eclipse observation or welding. In addition, the Solar Eclipse Glasses 55 Shade 14 block over 99% of UV light and 97% of IR Radiation. ($54.99)  ;D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 01:54:56 PM »
Read about glasses for use before and after the totality...

https://www.space.com/36941-solar-eclipse-eye-protection-guide.html

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 06:41:39 AM »
https://apnews.com/article/total-solar-eclipse-april-2024-83164668ee08b0a0c92e1d2ac41e91aa

WHY IS TOTALITY LONGER?

By a cosmic stroke of luck, the moon will make the month’s closest approach to Earth the day before the total solar eclipse. That puts the moon just 223,000 miles (360,000 kilometers) away on eclipse day.

The moon will appear slightly bigger in the sky thanks to that proximity, resulting in an especially long period of sun-blocked darkness.

What’s more, the Earth and moon will be 93 million miles (150 million kilometers) from the sun that day, the average distance.

When a closer moon pairs up with a more distant sun, totality can last as long as an astounding 7 1/2 minutes. The last time the world saw more than seven minutes of totality was in 1973 over Africa. That won’t happen again until 2150 over the Pacific.

HOW DO I SAFELY WATCH THE ECLIPSE?

Sunglasses won’t cut it. Special eclipse glasses are crucial for safely observing the sun as the moon marches across the late morning and afternoon sky, covering more and more and then less and less of our star.

During totality when the sun is completely shrouded, it’s fine to remove your glasses and look with your naked eyes. But before and after, certified eclipse glasses are essential to avoid eye damage. Just make sure they’re not scratched or torn.

Cameras, binoculars and telescopes must be outfitted with special solar filters for safe viewing. Bottom line: Never look at an exposed sun without proper protection any day of the year.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 08:03:13 AM »
See What the Solar Eclipse Will Look Like across Most of the U.S.

Even if you’re not in the path of totality, the solar eclipse on April 8 will offer a show to nearly everyone across North and Central America

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/see-what-the-solar-eclipse-will-look-like-across-most-of-the-u-s/

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 03:56:19 PM »
We will be loading up our "Have Rig and Will Travel" for a road trip to view the eclipse in the totality band.

My unofficial survey indicates that Hotel vacancies are limited and room prices are higher than normal in cities that in or near the totality band.

We did the same for the last eclipse. It was a very entertaining and enlightening experience.

I would encourage everyone to go see it in "totality"  if possible.

YOU WON'T REGRET IT !!! 

(Smiley "all knowing" Face, Crap)
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 10:20:55 AM »
We will be loading up our "Have Rig and Will Travel" for a road trip to view the eclipse in the totality band.

My unofficial survey indicates that Hotel vacancies are limited and room prices are higher than normal in cities that in or near the totality band.

We did the same for the last eclipse. It was a very entertaining and enlightening experience.

I would encourage everyone to go see it in "totality"  if possible.

YOU WON'T REGRET IT !!! 

(Smiley "all knowing" Face, Crap)

Hey @WhiteCrow glad to see you are still with us!

I was too ill back in 2017 to meet up with you in Illinois for the eclipse. Didn’t feel safe driving all that way by myself.

This year I don’t have to drive at all. Been waiting for this eclipse since at least April 2019. I have some good friends and relatives traveling here to feast on good Texas barbecue, homemade tamales, and a crawfish and shrimp boil.

Can’t control the weather but I can make sure everyone is well fed.

Safe travels.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 07:05:56 PM »
Hey @WhiteCrow glad to see you are still with us!

I was too ill back in 2017 to meet up with you in Illinois for the eclipse. Didn’t feel safe driving all that way by myself.

This year I don’t have to drive at all. Been waiting for this eclipse since at least April 2019. I have some good friends and relatives traveling here to feast on good Texas barbecue, homemade tamales, and a crawfish and shrimp boil.

Can’t control the weather but I can make sure everyone is well fed.

Safe travels.

Sure hope it is crystal clear that day!