Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 231354 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #825 on: September 16, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
I decided to try some fall tomatoes. The summer ones didn’t do that well but they were planted where they didn’t really get enough sun.  Companion planting with marigolds to try and keep the bugs away.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[attachment[/attachment]
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #826 on: September 16, 2020, 05:23:15 PM »
I planted lemongrass in pots so it wouldn’t spread too much. Going to harvest some soon.

[attachment[/attachment]
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #827 on: September 16, 2020, 05:30:45 PM »
I believe I could be a successful basil rancher.  I have been harvesting basil all summer. I’ve supplied cloned plants to everyone that would take them.  I have 5 different types of basil growing now.  I planted a bunch of Thai bird chilies but they are taking their time. Hope I get some.  I have had one plant that I bought in June that is in the pot. Just picked all the peppers that were on it but it has a bunch of new flowers. 

The rest of this planter is filled with different types of flowering plants.  I usually get one when I see something I like and have been adding them one at a time to reduce the urge to plant more basil. 

[attachment[/attachment]
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #828 on: September 16, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
I was introduced to the Native American Church tipi ceremonies beginning in August 2018. Some of the traditional plants (non-psychoactive) used in the ceremonies are hard to find here, so I bought a bunch of seeds from ebay. 

During the next 4 years it is my intention to hold tipi ceremonies on the land that I have up in Central Texas and I wish to have these plants available up there to use in the ceremonies.

I don’t have pictures yet because I just planted the first batch of seeds today.  These include Sweetgrass, White Sage and Incense Cedar.  I planted 60 of the Sage seeds and 50 of the Sweetgrass seeds in some seed starter containers. They traditionally have low germination rates so I over planted.  If they take root, I will post pictures of their progress.

The incense cedar seeds require more steps.  They have to be soaked in water and then placed in the refrigerator in moist medium for at least 60 days to scarify them.  I began soaking the 20 seeds I bought tonight and will pop them into the fridge tomorrow.

This is the same process I had to use on the acorns I collected last November in Maryland.  Most of the oak trees that started growing this spring are still hanging in there, but just barely.  I think I burned them with fertilizer I used. Seems like fertilizer that is good for basil is not necessarily good for oak trees.  I hope they make it. I have dreams about having majestic white oaks to plant among the 4 or 5 different varieties of oaks that I already have in my woods. 

The other batch of seeds I bought were an impulse buy.  It was 10 seeds for Dwarf Red Japanese Lacy Maples.  I really liked the color in the pictures that I saw.  These seeds need to soak and winter like the cedar seeds so I started them today.  I have to be careful where I plant these in my woods.  They can’t really tolerate the full day Texas sun.  Morning sun then shade is perfect so I will be scouting out locations. 

I’ve tried cloning other species that I have here to be able to plant some up in my woods.  We had a Bottlebrush tree lose a limb in a storm back in July. I took some cuttings and it looks like 7 out of 10 of them might actually make it.

I have other cuttings in sand right now. Some seem to be doing ok. Esperanza leaves are all still green and vibrant. My two different crepe myrtles don’t seem happy. My two different oleander batches are pretty much a goner.  I might try again in the spring when they have new growth. 

I have some other seeds that haven’t been delivered yet. A really big blackberry that I am going to try, a thornless variety of the pea eggplant and two different types of basil.  I might have to order more seed starter packs.  I bought an LED indoor plant light because our windows block most of the UV rays.  I may have to buy a second one now or a bigger one with a timer. 

I hope we have a mild winter down here but since this is 2020, my gut tells me we will have snow before the end of November.  The first cold front that came through last week dropped the temperature from the mid 90’s down to 57 over night.

I love the smell of basil.  We have cuttings in small vases in several rooms of the house. The different colors from the different types of flowers are really nice. 
Are we having fun yet?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2020, 10:25:38 PM »
@ShayP  No.  I was up all that night listening to the fire and police scanner plus waiting for an automated phone call to evacuate.  But the fire rolled over some hills to the east and beyond.  Lots of houses and businesses destroyed in neighboring towns.  I was up all night last night because winds were supposed to crop up and fan more fires, but there was no wind.  Still lots of smoke out there.  Everyone is crying climate change.  I can't speak for all the fires but the ones around EllGab Garden West were started by arsonists.
I hope you stay safe Rikki.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
I believe I could be a successful basil rancher.  I have been harvesting basil all summer. I’ve supplied cloned plants to everyone that would take them.  I have 5 different types of basil growing now.  I planted a bunch of Thai bird chilies but they are taking their time. Hope I get some.  I have had one plant that I bought in June that is in the pot. Just picked all the peppers that were on it but it has a bunch of new flowers. 

The rest of this planter is filled with different types of flowering plants.  I usually get one when I see something I like and have been adding them one at a time to reduce the urge to plant more basil. 

Beautiful!!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #831 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:47 PM »
I was introduced to the Native American Church tipi ceremonies beginning in August 2018. Some of the traditional plants (non-psychoactive) used in the ceremonies are hard to find here, so I bought a bunch of seeds from ebay. 

During the next 4 years it is my intention to hold tipi ceremonies on the land that I have up in Central Texas and I wish to have these plants available up there to use in the ceremonies.

I don’t have pictures yet because I just planted the first batch of seeds today.  These include Sweetgrass, White Sage and Incense Cedar.  I planted 60 of the Sage seeds and 50 of the Sweetgrass seeds in some seed starter containers. They traditionally have low germination rates so I over planted.  If they take root, I will post pictures of their progress.

The incense cedar seeds require more steps.  They have to be soaked in water and then placed in the refrigerator in moist medium for at least 60 days to scarify them.  I began soaking the 20 seeds I bought tonight and will pop them into the fridge tomorrow.

This is the same process I had to use on the acorns I collected last November in Maryland.  Most of the oak trees that started growing this spring are still hanging in there, but just barely.  I think I burned them with fertilizer I used. Seems like fertilizer that is good for basil is not necessarily good for oak trees.  I hope they make it. I have dreams about having majestic white oaks to plant among the 4 or 5 different varieties of oaks that I already have in my woods. 

The other batch of seeds I bought were an impulse buy.  It was 10 seeds for Dwarf Red Japanese Lacy Maples.  I really liked the color in the pictures that I saw.  These seeds need to soak and winter like the cedar seeds so I started them today.  I have to be careful where I plant these in my woods.  They can’t really tolerate the full day Texas sun.  Morning sun then shade is perfect so I will be scouting out locations. 

I’ve tried cloning other species that I have here to be able to plant some up in my woods.  We had a Bottlebrush tree lose a limb in a storm back in July. I took some cuttings and it looks like 7 out of 10 of them might actually make it.

I have other cuttings in sand right now. Some seem to be doing ok. Esperanza leaves are all still green and vibrant. My two different crepe myrtles don’t seem happy. My two different oleander batches are pretty much a goner.  I might try again in the spring when they have new growth. 

I have some other seeds that haven’t been delivered yet. A really big blackberry that I am going to try, a thornless variety of the pea eggplant and two different types of basil.  I might have to order more seed starter packs.  I bought an LED indoor plant light because our windows block most of the UV rays.  I may have to buy a second one now or a bigger one with a timer. 

I hope we have a mild winter down here but since this is 2020, my gut tells me we will have snow before the end of November.  The first cold front that came through last week dropped the temperature from the mid 90’s down to 57 over night.

I love the smell of basil.  We have cuttings in small vases in several rooms of the house. The different colors from the different types of flowers are really nice.
I LOVE the Japanese Lace leafed Maples. So beautiful! Good luck!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #832 on: September 16, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
I hope you stay safe Rikki.

Thanks, Dot.  Everything has settled down nicely fire wise but still smoky out there causing the air to be very unhealthy. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The air is slowly getting better.  It was all the way up to the 300 mark earlier this week.  It is supposed to get even better by Friday.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #833 on: September 17, 2020, 05:33:06 AM »
I planted lemongrass in pots so it wouldn’t spread too much. Going to harvest some soon.

Grow American stuff!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #834 on: September 17, 2020, 06:32:30 AM »
Grow American stuff!
Boo.  I just planted a bed of Japanese Turnips.
Merry Christmas

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #835 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:20 AM »
Boo.  I just planted a bed of Japanese Turnips.

THAT'S RACIST!

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
Grow American stuff!

[attachment[/attachment]
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #838 on: September 17, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »
What's a really good plant for hanging out on an inside window ledge?
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #839 on: September 17, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
My Thai friend saw my picture of my pea eggplant and told me I should prune it. I removed several of the lower leaves and discovered the beginnings of flowers which will eventually turn in to pea eggplants.  I am so excited.

Are we having fun yet?