Author Topic: The Heather Song  (Read 3775 times)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Re: The Heather Song
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
10 mins ? Wow it sounded more like 5.
Now, now...
Eh, nevermind...

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
work in progress!

Soap box put aside...

Welcome...

You will find Sean is one of EG's finest.  There are a few other like Rix who I believe are genuinely good people.  You will also find a few who may "trigger" you (paging Mr. Groyper.)  I get along with him fine- but my advice to you would be to not engage.  My feeling is that you will end up a wreck while he continues smiling.

Anyhow, +1 for the effort and actually stopping to see what the place is like.  You will undoubtedly find a lot of posts not to your liking- but such is the nature of a (relatively) unmoderated board.

Stick around awhile.  But be warned that the inescapable destination for all posters on this board is that they slowly become...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

***While I'm here, Sean.  Is there any software that easily strips a voice out of a recording leaving just the music? I have considered recording my own Heather song...  :)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
Welcome...

You will find Sean is one of EG's finest.  There are a few other like Rix who I believe are genuinely good people.  You will also find a few who may "trigger" you (paging Mr. Groyper.)  I get along with him fine- but my advice to you would be to not engage.  My feeling is that you will end up a wreck while he continues smiling.

***While I'm here, Sean.  Is there any software that easily strips a voice out of a recording leaving just the music? I have considered recording my own Heather song...  :)

Thanks, you're too kind. I used to want to save the world until I figured out most people should be shot in the back of their head and fed to fish.

As for vocal removal, I have successfully used "VocalZap." It is a VST plugin that I'm pretty sure is free.  There are others too. Audacity, a free audio program for Windows, supposedly takes plugins easily nowadays.  There's tons of great free VST effects here:
http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?m=VSTfx

The only time that VocalZap didn't work for me was for The Flirtations "Nothing But a Heartache." British music production in the day used a lot of phase and stereo recording techniques because that's what the Fabs, Zombies, Stones, etc. were doing in Abbey Road.  There's actually a point in the song where you can hear where they turned a knob if you have VocalZap..  Argh!

It's probably good that I couldn't get that to work on NbaH. Other than my horrible singing voice, my parody lyrics included references to Art's kids. Not in great taste - MV wanted to keep the kids out of it in every way possible.

@Jedimiller , this is part of the advice I was going to give to you too. 

Audacity + VST effects = a step up from plain ol' singing into a tape recorder 😀.

Eh, nevermind...

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
Thanks, you're too kind. I used to want to save the world until I figured out most people should be shot in the back of their head and fed to fish.

As for vocal removal, I have successfully used "VocalZap." It is a VST plugin that I'm pretty sure is free.  There are others too. Audacity, a free audio program for Windows, supposedly takes plugins easily nowadays.  There's tons of great free VST effects here:
http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?m=VSTfx

The only time that VocalZap didn't work for me was for The Flirtations "Nothing But a Heartache." British music production in the day used a lot of phase and stereo recording techniques because that's what the Fabs, Zombies, Stones, etc. were doing in Abbey Road.  There's actually a point in the song where you can hear where they turned a knob if you have VocalZap..  Argh!

It's probably good that I couldn't get that to work on NbaH. Other than my horrible singing voice, my parody lyrics included references to Art's kids. Not in great taste - MV wanted to keep the kids out of it in every way possible.

@Jedimiller , this is part of the advice I was going to give to you too. 

Audacity + VST effects = a step up from plain ol' singing into a tape recorder 😀.

Thanks Sean.  I am still not convinced that I will actually do it.

When I attend funerals I mouth the words and do not sing out of respect to the dead.  When I attend weddings, I mouth the words and do not sing out of respect to the living.  And when I attend church I mouth the words and don't sing out of fear that I will deservedly be struck dead where I stand.

But somehow, I want to record the tribute that has been stuck in my head for the last week or two.  :-\

***I actually already have audactiy.  I think that I was using it to find why so many new songs sounded "flat."  Not flat as in flat and sharp.  Just boring.  (Was it something called dynamic range?  Suddenly I am drawing a blank.)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Thanks Sean.  I am still not convinced that I will actually do it.

When I attend funerals I mouth the words and do not sing out of respect to the dead.  When I attend weddings, I mouth the words and do not sing out of respect to the living.  And when I attend church I mouth the words and don't sing out of fear that I will deservedly be struck dead where I stand.

But somehow, I want to record the tribute that has been stuck in my head for the last week or two.  :-\

***I actually already have audactiy.  I think that I was using it to find why so many new songs sounded "flat."  Not flat as in flat and sharp.  Just boring.  (Was it something called dynamic range?  Suddenly I am drawing a blank.)

If I ever enter a church again, I'm risking my life 😀

Over-compressing will kill the dynamic range. Too much EQ will too (think of tone controls and equalizer sliders as little volume controls specific to those frequencies). When I wanted something to sound garage 1965, I used massive amounts of compression and miniscule amounts of frequency-dependent distortion too.

Look for a free VST called "Broadcast" compressor (something with broadcast in it).  It splits the frequencies into three different compression ratios.  It's great for podcasting too.  The 2009 Beatle and Apple Records reissues of the era were run through a magic box, as we jokingly called it, it is similar to the broadcast compressor. There was a little more to it but...

If you get to doing a podcast or wanting to lay some tunes down, Acoustica Mixcraft is a really powerful tool without breaking the bank.
Eh, nevermind...

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 11:24:48 PM »
Sold out in minutes! Timebandit bought all the CD’s.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 11:29:41 PM »

If I ever were to gig again.  I'd want this looping during a song or two on my projection screens.
Eh, nevermind...

Tibbar

• KIDD
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »
That has to be the absolute worst, most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.   Seriously, do you have no shame at all?
The older you get, the more it hurts, the good times come in shorter spurts.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
That has to be the absolute worst, most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.   Seriously, do you have no shame at all?

To be fair he did say it was a "work in progress". And I said that with a straight face.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
To be fair he did say it was a "work in progress". And I said that with a straight face.

No, I totally busted up.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »
He ran to Garrett asking him to help come up with comebacks.  Garrett will help him as soon as he stops laughing.
Eh, nevermind...

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »
work in progress!

Heather is just the weather?  Does that mean unpredictable and torrent, I was waiting for the money shot at the end to top off how weird and creepy this is. 

brig

• PUT OUT TO PASTURE
  • Ellightened
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
work in progress!

MOAR !!!!

This is one of my favorites so far:

brig

• PUT OUT TO PASTURE
  • Ellightened
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
You even did your very own Art Tribute.  Nice!

brig

• PUT OUT TO PASTURE
  • Ellightened
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
I'm a little late, but I'm watching this with my morning coffee.