Author Topic: The Workout and Weight Loss Thread  (Read 19050 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: The Workout and Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »
I think this is great! You have to start somewhere and everyone has an obstacle. It might be an injury, disease, obesity, or chocolate.  ;)

The workout I've fallen in love with is Pilates. I love apparatus because it's so versatile and fun but mat work can be done anywhere so comes in handy when traveling. I do this 4 or 5 days a week. I LOVE being outside so walking every weekday morning is my meditation/quiet time just for myself. I keep it short - 2 or 3 miles then hiking on the weekends with the fam for fun. I occasionally throw in TRX to mix things up a bit and challenge myself though I haven't been doing it as much the last couple of months and still do some Yoga practice but have slowly been letting that go....just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

I agree with what others have said- you've got to find something you love doing and @KSM32 said something to the affect of you have to enjoy the space you have to do it in too.

Great Point @PolkaDot   Wanting to be in the workout space/home gym is monumental. If said room or area is thought of as a torture chamber that ain't good.

I absolutely LOVE my new digs where I've compiled all my best equipment from two home gyms. It's a 16 - 18 room with a 55" mounted TV and the place is literally wired for sound so whatever I got pumping through the C-Crane FM Transmitter is everywhere. Oh, and of course it has a speed bag station as well as a heavy bag :)  I want to be in there all the time.

..I wonder if She would let Me mount HER in that room to complete my vision.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »

Great Point @PolkaDot   Wanting to be in the workout space/home gym is monumental. If said room or area is thought of as a torture chamber that ain't good.

I absolutely LOVE my new digs where I've compiled all my best equipment from two home gyms. It's a 16 - 18 room with a 55" mounted TV and the place is literally wired for sound so whatever I got pumping through the C-Crane FM Transmitter is everywhere. Oh, and of course it has a speed bag station as well as a heavy bag :)  I want to be in there all the time.

..I wonder if She would let Me mount HER in that room to complete my vision.

Where do you keep your fan bike?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
P90X with George Norway.  I wonder what happened to that.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »
Where do you keep your fan bike?
@Ciardelo  Honestly I really don't know what a "fan bike" is.  My wife has a kickass stationary bike in her aerobic/cardio room but the only fan in there is on the ceiling.  Stop trying to trade shots with me (You'll lose every time) and get busy on yourself. I've got yer fitness back!  :)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2020, 04:04:17 AM »
A fan bike is a stationary bike where the resistance comes from a big fan in front - like the old Schwinn Airdynes.  The faster you go, the more resistance.  Many include levers for the arms, too. They are excellent for HIIT.
Merry Christmas

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »
A fan bike is a stationary bike where the resistance comes from a big fan in front - like the old Schwinn Airdynes.  The faster you go, the more resistance.  Many include levers for the arms, too. They are excellent for HIIT.

I've heard it said "Nobody ever wins against a fan bike."

Looks like @KSM32's avatar could use a few minutes on one.  8)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »

Hmm   Sounds kinda cheap and so 60's but thank you for the clarification.

Whatta ya know @Ciardelo   this thread grew some legs.  Good on you  :D  now let's not shit it up with a bunch of my crap. I'll leave y'all to solve your own issues.

But just remember: An egg is not a horse nor is it a highway. It's just, an egg!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I always wondered if that was photoshopped. 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
The very idea that a man over 60 could do P90X was absurd to begin with. 
Merry Christmas

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
I lost 45 pounds last year and have managed to keep it off.  Clean up your eating, exercise everyday and keep Arnold top of mind.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »
EATING

Along with moving more, eating has to be right up there in importance for my on-going weight loss. How about some hard numbers huh? I have a hospital-documented high weight of 350# at 5'7" tall. Yikes, right? I weighed myself a couple of days ago and I'm currently at 280#. Better, but still...I've got a weighs to go...heh. I've just been counting since starting a program in earnest, so I'm calling my starting weight 320#. 40 pounds down in a couple of months! Now I don't expect to lose 20# a month forever, but when you start out as high as I was, it's easier in the beginning.

Anyway, I'm also a winner in the diabetes lottery. How did this happen??? lol (just kidding)

I've been reading up on "reversing" Type 2 diabetes and what "they" say is to avoid all the shit that makes your blood sugar go up. For me, that means all the things I really, really love. Like the potato chip, cheez-its, corn chips all that stuff. No white bread (actually, no bread at all for me--they sneak in sugar A LOT) macaroni, pastas, and on. I don't have a sweet tooth, but cookies and such don't live long at my house.

I've been basically doing "Atkins Induction" for these past weeks. That means limiting my carbs to about 20 grams a day. I'll leave the decision on what YOU want to eat to YOU. I'm just telling what I'm doing. If you up the fat content, it's satiating. I can fix a couple of eggs in 1T of butter, have some bacon or sausage and I'm good for hours. I'll eat salads and vegetables too. It's not ALL bacon and steaks LOL.

I use my blood sugar meter as my guide when trying to add in things. So, for me, rice makes my blood sugar SOAR, while re-fried beans do not. There's reasons for this concerning fiber and whatnot but if you're going to do this, you need to read up and don't count on internet strangers to give you a map :) My fasting blood sugar has been averaging 105. I can say things like that because I'm DOCUMENTING. It's a pain, but I document what I eat, my blood pressure, blood sugar, what I weigh (sparingly on that--usually once a week) Apps can really help out. I've tried the biggies you'll hear about, MyFitnessPal, LoseIt! and FitDay. I ended up liking LoseIt! the most, but MyFitnessPal & FitDay gets mention. 

I want to give Doctor Now a nod here. I've been a fan of his show "My 600-lb Life" and looked into what Dr. Nowzaradan advises for his patients. Frequently he puts them on a low-carb 1200 calorie-a-day diet. I'll leave it up to you if you want to go that extreme, but it is "doable" For me, I've been closer to 1800 to 2000 a day (thanks tracking apps!)

I've joined a couple of Diabetes Facebook groups and there's some online forums too. Again, I don't believe everything I read because the "classic" dietician-recommended diabetes diet has way too many carbs for me. Corn is a grain, not a vegetable ok? They put sugar in almost everything nowadays. You have to be a hawk when buying food, especially "diet" food. Most of that shit has tons of added sugar and they try to take the satiating fat out. It's like the opposite of what I'm doing.

You're better off shopping the perimeter of the grocery store for fresh food and leaving all the boxed and canned "food" alone.

That's all for now. :)

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
I went nearly vegetarian (meat 1-2x) a week.  Indian cuisine is a great way to live on veggies and beans.  https://www.spiceupthecurry.com/. I am now eating meat regularly but exercise and cut way down on sweets,  I had my first spoonful of ice cream in over a year today, at my most rigorous I was eating 10 grams of fat a day.  Requires thought but doable,  I learned to use cheese as a spice.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
EATING

Along with moving more, eating has to be right up there in importance for my on-going weight loss. How about some hard numbers huh...

Exercising does little compared to eating less.  It takes quite a bit of exercise to work off, say, 500 calories, but 500 calories of food is a very small amount.

Exercising is great for helping to keep the weight off, and for general health, but controlling what we eat is the key to losing weight.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »
Exercising does little compared to eating less.  It takes quite a bit of exercise to work off, say, 500 calories, but 500 calories of food is a very small amount.

Exercising is great for helping to keep the weight off, and for general health, but controlling what we eat is the key to losing weight.

NICE!!!

And also - establishing healthy workout and eating habits at a reasonably early age is a HUUUGE advantage in later years. The odds are very much stacked against those deciding to start making healthy choices after 30 - 40, depending on ones God Given via lineage genetic toolkit.

That said, anybody can do it at any time or age.    results may vary

@Ciardelo The Atkins guy died due to ATKINS.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
I always wondered if that was photoshopped.
@ShayP  what, to make his head look too big for his body?