Author Topic: NFL Football  (Read 125512 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: NFL Football
« Reply #420 on: December 31, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
I remember no one liking GM Matt Millen

True.  Other than drafting Jeff Backus and Calvin Johnson the guy sucked at his job.  Plus he manned the worst stretch, win-wise, in Lions history (correct me if I'm wrong @Walks_At_Night)  Then he gets an extension from Bill Ford Sr midway through?

And who the hell drafts WR's in the 1st round three years in a row? Oh, wait, I know. Matt Millen.  All of his coaching hires were awful too.

Yikes!  I'm starting to sound like an impassioned Lions fan.  :o

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2021, 09:39:47 AM »
In case no one heard the Giants suck.

What are they going to do at QB?  Stick with Daniel Jones?  There's talk they won't but I think they should.  Get that O-line straight and the secondary.  Saquon Barkley is a beast if he can stay healthy.  Maybe fire Judge?

AvDaBr

• KDWN
Re: NFL Footballu
« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
Hope I'm wrong on this, but Barkley just seems like one of those snakebit players who's always going to struggle with the injury bug.  He's a super talent, however.

As a Bengals fan I recall another elite Penn State RB whose career was derailed by injury.  Ki-Jana Carter is the last RB to be drafted #1 overall (1995).  What a marvelous talent he was- one of the biggest "what ifs" in franchise history.

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: NFL Footballu
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2022, 08:05:27 AM »
Hope I'm wrong on this, but Barkley just seems like one of those snakebit players who's always going to struggle with the injury bug.  He's a super talent, however.

As a Bengals fan I recall another elite Penn State RB whose career was derailed by injury.  Ki-Jana Carter is the last RB to be drafted #1 overall (1995).  What a marvelous talent he was- one of the biggest "what ifs" in franchise history.

Barkley does seem snake bitten.  He's a beast when healthy.  I remember Ki-Jana Carter.  He never fully recovered from any of his numerous injuries.

As a Steelers fan it pains me to say that I think the Bengals will be the cream of the crop in the AFC North for several years.  Burrow will be a star and this past draft has a lot of potential with each player.  I think the Bengals had the best overall draft.

I'm resigned to the probability that the Steelers will stink for the next few years.

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Dan Reeves
« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2022, 08:10:41 AM »
Dan Reeves, who won a Super Bowl as a player with the Dallas Cowboys but was best known for a long coaching career highlighted by four more appearances in the title game with the Denver Broncos and the Atlanta Falcons, all losses, died Saturday. He was 77.

A statement released by his family through former Falcons media relations director Aaron Salkin said Mr. Reeves died of complications from dementia.

MAX

• Elluminati
« Reply #425 on: January 01, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
What are they going to do at QB?  Stick with Daniel Jones?  There's talk they won't but I think they should.  Get that O-line straight and the secondary.  Saquon Barkley is a beast if he can stay healthy.  Maybe fire Judge?

I believe the GM is gone next year, hear they are going to keep Jones and Judge. They have 2 first round picks, the new GM they get needs to finally fix the O line.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Re: Dan Reeves
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2022, 10:53:59 AM »
Dan Reeves, who won a Super Bowl as a player with the Dallas Cowboys but was best known for a long coaching career highlighted by four more appearances in the title game with the Denver Broncos and the Atlanta Falcons, all losses, died Saturday. He was 77.

A statement released by his family through former Falcons media relations director Aaron Salkin said Mr. Reeves died of complications from dementia.

In 1966, Tom Landry, looking for more speed at running back, shifted All-Pro safety Mel Renfro to offense. Renfro was hurt in the opening game against the New York Giants, and Reeves took advantage of his opportunity by having a breakout season, leading the team in rushing with 757 yards and scoring with 96 points, while finishing second in receiving with 557 yards. His performance helped the Cowboys take some of the running load from fullback Don Perkins and reach their first championship game. Reeves set a franchise record with sixteen touchdowns (eight rushing and eight receiving), had over 1,300 all-purpose yards, was sixth in the NFL in rushing, first in touchdowns, and sixth in scoring. He was also voted to The Sporting News All-Pro team at the end of the year.

In 1967, he posted back-to-back seasons with more than 600 rushing yards, ranking second on the team in rushing with 603 yards and third in receiving with 490 yards. In the week 8 game against the Atlanta Falcons, he set a franchise record after scoring four touchdowns. In the week 13 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, he scored touchdowns running, receiving, and passing in the same game.

During the first half of his NFL career, he became a multi-talented running back and displayed the ability to consistently make big plays. He remained a starter until Week 4 of the 1968 season, when he tore ligaments in his right knee and was lost for the season.

The injury ended up hampering him for the remainder of his career and limiting his abilities. Head coach Tom Landry started playing him in spots and asked him to become a player-coach, while being passed on the depth chart by Calvin Hill and Duane Thomas. He remained in that role for three years until he retired as an active player to become a full-time assistant coach on February 22, 1972.

Reeves played eight seasons with the Dallas Cowboys, collected 1,990 rushing yards, 1,693 receiving yards, and 42 touchdowns. The Cowboys made the playoffs every year, reaching the Super Bowl twice and culminating in a 24–3 victory over the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VI following the 1971 season. In Super Bowl V with the Cowboys and Colts tied at 13 in the last 2 minutes, he let a pass go through his hands that was intercepted, setting up the Colts in Dallas territory. The Colts won the game on a 32-yard field goal from Jim O'Brien with five seconds left. He threw a touchdown pass in the Cowboys' losing effort in the legendary subzero Ice Bowl against the Green Bay Packers for the 1967 NFL title.

In 2010, he was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »
 Former RB, Coach Dan Reeves Passes Away
Jan 01, 2022 at 11:30 AM
dal-hs.jpg
DallasCowboys.com

Dallas Cowboys Staff Writers

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/past-present-blog

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2022, 11:24:44 PM »

Hey @ShayP (and any other Steelers fans). Big Ben says he's retiring after Monday's game. How do you feel about that?
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #429 on: January 02, 2022, 06:30:42 AM »
Hey @ShayP (and any other Steelers fans). Big Ben says he's retiring after Monday's game. How do you feel about that?

I fine with it. @TigerLily  However, that's just his last home game.  I believe he'll finish the season.  There's a very, VERY, slim chance they make the playoffs as a Wild Card if they beat the Browns and Ravens, and get a little help from another team's loss.  If so, that'll be his last dance.

But, if he walks away after the Browns game I'm fine with that too.  I just can't see him not finishing out the season.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #430 on: January 02, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
One of the Jaguars’ beat writers was on the radio pre-game show.  He said he’d run out of things to say about how awful the team is.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #431 on: January 02, 2022, 09:54:55 AM »
One of the Jaguars’ beat writers was on the radio pre-game show.  He said he’d run out of things to say about how awful the team is.

The Jaguars are a curiosity.  They had a playoff run in the late 90's.  One in the mid 2000's and again in 2017.  In between has been abysmal.  I am still scarred by them beating the Steelers twice in the playoffs, in Pittsburgh.

They are really bad right now.  I didn't realize how devoid of talent they are.  Even teams with some legitimate talent can have terrible seasons on occasion, but wow.

What does the future hold for them @JUAN?

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2022, 09:56:58 AM »
I fine with it. @TigerLily  However, that's just his last home game.  I believe he'll finish the season.  There's a very, VERY, slim chance they make the playoffs as a Wild Card if they beat the Browns and Ravens, and get a little help from another team's loss.  If so, that'll be his last dance.

But, if he walks away after the Browns game I'm fine with that too.  I just can't see him not finishing out the season.

Oh yeah. He'll finish out the season. And he was Superbowl Champ twice but it's time he hung up the spurs
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #433 on: January 02, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »

Why Juan. WHY???

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
What are they going to do at QB?  Stick with Daniel Jones?  There's talk they won't but I think they should...

Sounds like Jimmy G will be available.  Maybe even Aaron Rodgers or the guy in Seattle.  How tight is Crab-leg's hold on the Saint's job?...