Author Topic: Dream Stuff  (Read 91633 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: Dream Stuff
« Reply #465 on: October 06, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »
My late friend Charlie noted that my dreams often involved cartoon characters -- sometimes established ones, other times characters original to me.  Last night I had Superman and Batman in one dream, and Woody Woodpecker in another.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2020, 05:54:05 AM »
Last night a dream that followed a pattern I frequently have of being both first- and third-person, in this case a TV show or the making of one.  I was experiencing it as both a viewer and an actor.  Clay Pigeon of WFMU explained to me (as part of the show, I think) that the show was spun off from radio characters he'd created, and that of course he (who did not appear in scenes I was in) was the star.  I was a 7th grade student whose dwelling (in an elevator building) was also his school, befitting the times, and he also worked at a Baskin-Robbins, and was commuting to and from somewhere else unspecified by train.  He/I carried around a carton packed with at least 5 flavors of ice cream, and ate from it with a Baskin-Robbins spoon all day.  This is another example of how all my senses can be in play in a dream, as I both saw the colors of and tasted the different ice creams as I spooned them out; one of them even had chocolate syrup swirls.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »
Last night I dreamed I had cable TV hooked up, but one channel, which had Donald Trump on it, was coming in with a variable diagonal "tear" in it as if horizontal hold was off kilter.  The other channels were coming in normally.  The screwed-up channel, however, had a good picture when I put in a longer cable in place of the coax that'd been there.  Then I dreamed I had awakened and was explaining it here: that just that one channel's content, albeit starting digitally, was converted to NTSC for distribution by cable, but that the "blacker than black" signal was suppressed but flyback could be synchronized by the right length of cable.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #468 on: December 12, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »
Usually when I dream lucidly I don't think about it too deeply during the dream, but the night before last I did.

I was in a largish lobby of a building on the Moon, where someone who looked like Carl Sagan was explaining what we were doing there.  He was referring to a video on a wall screen, but not many of those present paid attention to him, and I was bored by it too.  Being aware I was dreaming, I decided to walk around the loose crowd and talk to people.  I tried jumping to see if I'd go high, but the first time didn't work.  The second time I willed that my dream be a little more accurate to being on the Moon, so I got much higher.  That was enough.  Realizing that all the faces I saw were ones my own mind had created, I started to wonder why I made them the way they were.  Then I went into a corner near a couple of elevators and some couches and noted that the crowd was racially segregated.  Most of the black people in the room were on a particular couple of couches that were facing each other.  Then I looked at the next couch and noticed that the people were segregated by age too.  I figured out that I must have been "painting" the people sequentially, and that the simplest thing to do was to do so by category, so that ones close to each other as I encountered them would look similar to each other.

Then I got bored and struck up a conversation with a young lady, explaining to her that as a figure in my dream she was in my control, which she didn't seem to mind but found interesting.  We went out the nearest exit -- no need for the building to be on the Moon any longer if I didn't want it to be -- and onto a plaza.  The lady complimented me on my architectural taste as she looked around at the buildings I'd populated the area with.  That was it.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #469 on: December 30, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
Night before last I dreamed that I was teaching as an adjunct at Columbia U. and had been tapped to teach a math course whose material I didn't know, and had, like, 2 hours to get there and get ready.  I wound up begging off, as I explained to a colleague over some drinks.  I knew just enough to bluff my way part way thru an intro lecture.  This branch of math had been introduced to solve a problem about 60 years ago of predicting the range of ordnance fired in rain.  Apparently the simple model was based on the average density of raindrops, but it'd been discovered that their distribution made a difference.  The mathematic discipline used to solve this was the calculus of variations.

In waking life I've no idea whether this problem exists nor whether the calculus of variations would be at all useful to address it.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #470 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
Last night I dreamed my father showed me a particular address -- either a store front or an entrance to stairs -- on Metropolitan Avenue near Wood Road in Parkchester (close to where his office was) that he was convinced was confusingly numbered.  I didn't understand this, since it was numbered in what seemed to be the normal sequence to me.

Then I woke up, went to the bathroom, and went back to sleep.  I then dreamed I was explaining that dream to radio personality Glen Jones, and that he then went to meet me at the location in question along with his friend and on-air pal, X. Ray Burns.  Sure enough, I saw Dream Daddy had been right -- that two adjacent doors had been labeled with hyphenated numbers, indicating coverage of more than one adjacent parcel, but that the low number in each case was odd, and the high number even, implying that each address covered both sides of the street.  X and I went into the store to see what the story was, while Jonesy went across the street to talk to a cop who was giving him a ticket for parking his motorcycle across a parking meter, thus occupying two spaces.

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #471 on: January 04, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »
Last night I dreamed my father showed me a particular address -- either a store front or an entrance to stairs -- on Metropolitan Avenue near Wood Road in Parkchester (close to where his office was) that he was convinced was confusingly numbered.  I didn't understand this, since it was numbered in what seemed to be the normal sequence to me.

Then I woke up, went to the bathroom, and went back to sleep.  I then dreamed I was explaining that dream to radio personality Glen Jones, and that he then went to meet me at the location in question along with his friend and on-air pal, X. Ray Burns.  Sure enough, I saw Dream Daddy had been right -- that two adjacent doors had been labeled with hyphenated numbers, indicating coverage of more than one adjacent parcel, but that the low number in each case was odd, and the high number even, implying that each address covered both sides of the street.  X and I went into the store to see what the story was, while Jonesy went across the street to talk to a cop who was giving him a ticket for parking his motorcycle across a parking meter, thus occupying two spaces.

Solve for X neow?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #472 on: January 10, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »
Today I was listening to the Stork Club on WFMU's Give The Drummer stream, and the mention of dancing at the beginning set off a recent recollection of mine, within the past few days, of dancing -- holding hands, I think with a lady, doing a spin -- and it occurred to me: Where could that have been?  These days who's holding hands with anyone in a crowd?  Hell, who's even in a crowd?

Then I realized it must've been in a dream.

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »
Today I was listening to the Stork Club on WFMU's Give The Drummer stream, and the mention of dancing at the beginning set off a recent recollection of mine, within the past few days, of dancing -- holding hands, I think with a lady, doing a spin -- and it occurred to me: Where could that have been?  These days who's holding hands with anyone in a crowd?  Hell, who's even in a crowd?

Then I realized it must've been in a dream.
Same night, a friend dreamed he'd seen a lady in man's clothing introduce herself as Bob Zoller -- a prominent recently dead astrologer and friend of my friend -- yet she looked nothing like him.  We tried to figure if our dreams had anything in common.  I mentioned that artifice is sometimes symbolized, or referred to metaphorically, as a dance.  So he thought what the dreams had in common was the concept of untruth or insincerity.  We were trying to relate it to current affairs in the world.  maybe we're experiencing a time of inauthenticity.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #474 on: January 12, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
Maybe?
Merry Christmas

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #475 on: January 27, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »
Night before last, I dreamed I was at some mish-mosh of a team sport when I was called aside to deal with a cat with diarrhea.  I got some of it on my right sleeve.  Feh.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »
Night before last, I dreamed I was at some mish-mosh of a team sport when I was called aside to deal with a cat with diarrhea.  I got some of it on my right sleeve.  Feh.

Nice that you tried to help it.
How have you been?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #477 on: January 29, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
Nice that you tried to help it.
How have you been?
OK, both waking and in my dreams.  You?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #478 on: January 29, 2021, 07:53:40 PM »
OK, both waking and in my dreams.  You?

Ok two too.  Happy!

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2021, 05:37:13 AM »
Last night I dreamed of a version of Tora, Tora, Tora! taking place on Guam.