Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 62848 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
The AL rallied and the NL called in Don Drysdale in relief. He got the side out, and then was pinch hit for. The next inning, Sandy Koufax pitched and Bob Gibson was warming up. I wondered who started and found it was Juan Marichal and Milt Pappas for the AL.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
Yesterday, I was flipping around the tv and ran across a channel showing the 1965 All Star game. The thing that struck me was how much faster the game was. The pitcher got the ball back from the catcher, stayed on the mound, got his sign, and pitched. The batter stayed in the box, or maybe took one step out to get some dirt, and was ready to hit. I started timing the pitches. They were between 15 and 20 seconds apart.

I think they are 15-20 minutes apart now.

I used to love baseball.  Especially going to the park, smelling the freshly mowed grass on a sunny afternoon, watching the players warm up and take BP, sitting in the bleachers with the knowledgeable fans.  The game was about 2 hours and 20 minutes. 

When scores are 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-2, every batter, every base, every pitch matters and you're on the edge of your seat.  When it's 13-2 after 5 hours in, and it's only the 5th inning, it's unbearable.  I hate baseball now, it's awful - I haven't watched in years, not even the 2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series when ''my'' team won. 

It's a shame they thought they needed juiced balls - and then juiced players - to draw fans back after that grotesque strike in '93 and a lot of true fans turned their backs on it, so they thought they had to lure in new fans with more ''action''.  I guess it worked, but to me this is more like watching slo-pitch, where half the batters get hits and everyone scores - fun to play, completely unwatchable.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2020, 06:20:52 AM »

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2020, 06:47:42 AM »
The is a red E and a blue B and the whole thing is M

Montreal
Expos
Baseball

If you use a mirror, you get a Paul McCartney death clue.

The conspiratorial late 60s!
Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
The AL rallied and the NL called in Don Drysdale in relief. He got the side out, and then was pinch hit for. The next inning, Sandy Koufax pitched and Bob Gibson was warming up. I wondered who started and found it was Juan Marichal and Milt Pappas for the AL.
Drysdale hit better than most pinch hitters do nowadays.  I recently read in a story about this short season DH rule that he had consecutive 7 home run seasons...

Is this old channel on Pluto tv?  I'm disenchanted with the news and have been binging Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Maybe baseball will soothe my soul...
Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »
It was on a regular cable channel.  Maybe FS1.
Merry Christmas

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »
Drysdale hit better than most pinch hitters do nowadays.  I recently read in a story about this short season DH rule that he had consecutive 7 home run seasons...

Is this old channel on Pluto tv?  I'm disenchanted with the news and have been binging Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Maybe baseball will soothe my soul...
There's a lot of classic baseball on youtube. Including the old timer games from the 80s or so. I've been living off classic baseball and classic boxing for the last couple of months.  As far as hitting pitchers go, my favorite was Carlos Zambrano for the cubs. Ridiculous power.  Also the Ken Burns Baseball documentary series is a great re-watch if your soul needs baseball healing.

I also think we've seen the last of pitchers hitting. I think with the proposal of both leagues using the DH in a shortened season, once that genie is out of the bottle it isn't going back in. The MLBPA will look at it as creating 15 jobs and they are not going to give that back up in 2021.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »
I used to love baseball.  Especially going to the park, smelling the freshly mowed grass on a sunny afternoon, watching the players warm up and take BP, sitting in the bleachers with the knowledgeable fans.  The game was about 2 hours and 20 minutes. 

When scores are 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-2, every batter, every base, every pitch matters and you're on the edge of your seat.  When it's 13-2 after 5 hours in, and it's only the 5th inning, it's unbearable.  I hate baseball now, it's awful - I haven't watched in years, not even the 2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series when ''my'' team won. 

It's a shame they thought they needed juiced balls - and then juiced players - to draw fans back after that grotesque strike in '93 and a lot of true fans turned their backs on it, so they thought they had to lure in new fans with more ''action''.  I guess it worked, but to me this is more like watching slo-pitch, where half the batters get hits and everyone scores - fun to play, completely unwatchable.

I could not agree more.  The worst thing for me is the pitching changes.  You'll see a starter on super cruise through 7 innings - in complete command of the game.  Pitching say a 2 hit shutout.   Since he threw 100 pitches or for some other reason they will hook him at the start of the 8th. 
They will bring in a right hander who will get the first batter out but since the next guy hits lefty, they'll hook the right hand pitcher and bring in a left hander.   So on and so forth.  Some where in the pattern they will hit one of the relievers all over the ball park and the game will slip away. 

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »

I could not agree more.  The worst thing for me is the pitching changes.  You'll see a starter on super cruise through 7 innings - in complete command of the game.  Pitching say a 2 hit shutout.   Since he threw 100 pitches or for some other reason they will hook him at the start of the 8th. 
They will bring in a right hander who will get the first batter out but since the next guy hits lefty, they'll hook the right hand pitcher and bring in a left hander.   So on and so forth.  Some where in the pattern they will hit one of the relievers all over the ball park and the game will slip away.
This year there is a new 3 batter minimum or end of inning rule for pitching changes. So the left handed only guys should not be used as obnoxiously as before.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
This year there is a new 3 batter minimum or end of inning rule for pitching changes. So the left handed only guys should not be used as obnoxiously as before.

Somewhere out there, Jesse Orosco gently weeps.   :'(

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
OMG, the commissioner just ordered baseball players to stop spitting during games.  How can we have baseball without spitting?  Wuhan be damned, it’s an American institution.
Merry Christmas

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
https://www.fox4news.com/news/former-angels-employee-charged-in-tyler-skaggs-fatal-fentanyl-overdose-at-north-texas-hotel

Eric Prescott Kay, who was the communications director for the Angels, was charged with conspiracy to distribute a mixture containing detectable amounts of fentanyl, and was arrested in Fort Worth.

Court documents show that a number of pills were found in Skaggs’ room, including a single blue pill with the markings M/30.

It closely resembled a 30-milligram oxycodone tablet, but an analysis of the pill revealed it had been laced with fentanyl.

Kay, 45, was interviewed by authorities, and reportedly said he didn’t know whether Skaggs was a drug user, and he hadn’t seen Skaggs since he checked into the hotel.

But investigators found text messages on Skaggs’ phone that showed he had asked Kay to stop by his room with pills.

It was later learned by investigators that Kay had lied to them, and told another Angels employee that he visited Skaggs’ room the night of his death.

The Drug Enforcement Administration determined that Kay would regularly give the blue M/30 pills – dubbed “blue boys” – to Skaggs and others.

The Angels put out a statement that investigation found no one in management was aware an employee was giving players, including Skaggs, opioids.

Kay made his first court appearance Friday morning, and faces up to 20 years in federal prison if he’s found guilty.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
Well the Pirates play the Tigers today and just out of boredom I checked in on the game.  Still no outs in the first, the Pirates are down 5-0, and our starter Derek Holland gave up 4 home runs so far.  Seems like everything is status quo.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
Well the Pirates play the Tigers today and just out of boredom I checked in on the game.  Still no outs in the first, the Pirates are down 5-0, and our starter Derek Holland gave up 4 home runs so far.  Seems like everything is status quo.

Seem righteous to me.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »