Author Topic: Class Action Settlements  (Read 424 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Class Action Settlements
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
Have you ever actually anything worthwhile from them (question to non-lawyers?) I got a small credit on a cell phone bill once and once got a check for a minuscule amount over some small engine problem. But not worth anything, even the time.
Today I got this email that linked to this site. Basically, Domestic Airlines have been accused of colluding to limit flights.
https://domesticairclass.com/FAQ

American and Southwest have settled with negotiations pending on some others. Supposedly you should sign up and get some unspecified relief.  At first my email kicked out as SPAM but these stories make it seem to be true and the Court and Lawfirms mentioned appear to be real entities.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-antitrust-airlines-lawsuit-20180618-story.html 
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southwest-settlement/southwest-airlines-to-pay-15-million-to-settle-price-collusion-lawsuit-idUSKBN1EU02F

Wondering if I should submit claim, just ignore and await news of future settlements, or opt-out and go it alone (but really I'm not going to retain a lawyer to sue so this option is not likely. Though I could probably get a friend to write a letter, I guess.

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
Re: Class Action Settlements
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Class action law suits are just a way for law firms to make a shit ton of money suing.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
Have you ever actually anything worthwhile from them (question to non-lawyers?)
One class action settlement for an Acura car purchase was around $800. I also got around $300 in the Blue Buffalo pet food class action settlement. This amount was a nice surprise and was due to fewer than expected number of people submitting claims. Many other smaller amounts over the years also.

Rikki Gins

• Ellightened
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
I was supposed to get a case load of canned tuna fish because the company wasn't putting enough tuna in their cans & pouches.  It's been over three years now and nothing.  The tuna company must have wrangled their way out of the suit or something.  It was proven that they weren't putting the required amount of tuna in the containers.  Bastards.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
I was supposed to get a case load of canned tuna fish because the company wasn't putting enough tuna in their cans & pouches.  It's been over three years now and nothing.  The tuna company must have wrangled their way out of the suit or something.  It was proven that they weren't putting the required amount of tuna in the containers.  Bastards.
That is why you should've bought sardines for your omegas, protein, or storage prepping needs!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
One class action settlement for an Acura car purchase was around $800. I also got around $300 in the Blue Buffalo pet food class action settlement. This amount was a nice surprise and was due to fewer than expected number of people submitting claims. Many other smaller amounts over the years also.
Nice! I was getting some of those letters about the airbag mess a while back but I no longer owned the car and wasn't sure if I could still get in. My thinking was "I did own it and drive it with bad airbags which COULD"VE caused me damages" but I don't think the lawyers would reckon it that way.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellightened
  • Morg!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 04:33:16 PM »

It could be worse Rix. Harry Caray never did get that toy Cracker Jack owed him:

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
i got $25 for a class action against a bank. the bank was re-arranging withdrawals (checks , atm, etc) each day with the largest  posted 1st then the 2nd largest, and so on. this was to maximize the number of overdraft fees they could charge.
that in no way covered the overdraft fees they charged me. i quit banking with them when i realized that was what they were doing.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellightened
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
Nice! I was getting some of those letters about the airbag mess a while back but I no longer owned the car and wasn't sure if I could still get in. My thinking was "I did own it and drive it with bad airbags which COULD"VE caused me damages" but I don't think the lawyers would reckon it that way.

A lawyer could argue that you drove that high risk car, unknowingly, and could have died.  You were defrauded.  they fucking owe you.

KSM

• Senior Moderator
  • Elluminati
  • FlapJacks
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »
It's perhaps another thread but my DAD and his wife sued me and mine in 2016 to buy them out of a building we co-owned for 17 years that had been mortgage free since 2014. My guess is that as soon as things were paid off the wheels in his old broads head started turing…$-$-$$$$   

We, (my wife and I) fought it and lost, but since then have turned things around and made wonderful lemonade out of those metaphorical lemons based on a  healthy housing market.  Even with family, get it in writing. Seriously, no matter how good things are at the tiiiiime  folks get nuts and change their minds.. ;)
YOU'RE NOT A GIRAFFE!

.L-L/R.....R-R/L......L-R.....L......R-L
S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' SSP ' RDP

(SSP) ' (RDP) '' (FSP) '' (RSP)? ( split fist combo )

(RDP)''(FR-F-Roll)'''Random-Set-3.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »
It's perhaps another thread but my DAD and his wife sued me and mine in 2016 to buy them out of a building we co-owned for 17 years that had been mortgage free since 2014. My guess is that as soon as things were paid off the wheels in his old broads head started turing…$-$-$$$$   

We, (my wife and I) fought it and lost, but since then have turned things around and made wonderful lemonade out of those metaphorical lemons based on a  healthy housing market.  Even with family, get it in writing. Seriously, no matter how good things are at the tiiiiime  folks get nuts and change their minds.. ;)
THIS. On all accounts. It is fun to make fun on lawyers. But THIS, on all accounts. Real Estate, health and your plans in an event wealth, insurances, tc. Get it right, and in writing, and legal. And prepare to YOUR wishes and also account for YOUR family. Family estates can get bad. And shame because family should be tight, help avoid by planning. This no dig against anyone. We all been there.  Shit happens also. I say this, because I'm not, not as a lawyer, insurance, or investment advisor. But as had a call from friend the other night said a co-worker, with young kids and wife at home, killed driving home in accident. Idk details but remember when you drive; you are guiding a missile And also face "incoming" possible at all times.