Author Topic: Toddbrook Reservoir Dam near Whaley Bridge, UK in danger of collapse  (Read 92 times)

Up All Night

• Drone Pilot
  • I remember when
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
The Toddbrook Reservoir Dam is in danger of collapsing in Derbyshire, UK, putting the town of Whaley Bridge at risk of catastrophic flooding. Get the latest details in our LIVE COVERAGE.

An evacuation has been ordered for all 6,500 residents of Whaley Bridge. A wall of the dam has partially collapsed after heavy rains, and water is being pumped from the reservoir to lower the water level. Hundreds of homes and businesses sit below the dam, which contains 1.3 million tons of water.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Toddbrook Reservoir Dam near Whaley Bridge, UK in danger of collapse
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:26:56 AM »
The Toddbrook Reservoir Dam is in danger of collapsing in Derbyshire, UK, putting the town of Whaley Bridge at risk of catastrophic flooding. Get the latest details in our LIVE COVERAGE.

An evacuation has been ordered for all 6,500 residents of Whaley Bridge. A wall of the dam has partially collapsed after heavy rains, and water is being pumped from the reservoir to lower the water level. Hundreds of homes and businesses sit below the dam, which contains 1.3 million tons of water.

Dam
I am a rocket scientist. Please do not embarrass yourself by asking me to help configure your laptop.

Evil Twin Of Zen

• KNYE
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
Re: Toddbrook Reservoir Dam near Whaley Bridge, UK in danger of collapse
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:48:39 AM »
Hire better engineers?

High rainfall levels resulted in damage to the dam’s spillway in December 1964. The damage was repaired in 1965, but flood studies judged the spillway to be inadequate. As a result in 1971 a new concrete spillway was added to the centre of the dam.

In the 1980s, British Waterways carried out significant repair works to the dam to deal with leaks involving the mining shafts located around the dam. This resulted in a culvert being constructed under the current beach/launching area for the reservoir. A stone marker could be seen on the main beach showing the location of this for many years, but was relocated to the footpath opposite Toddbrook Lodge during access work for the 2009 draining.

It was known that the local coal mining industry had been a challenge for the dam's integrity for many years. The original builders were forced to purchase a block of coal below the dam in situ in order to ensure its mining did not cause structural issues.

The reservoir was also partially drained in 2009 for re-alignment works on the dam, and again in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toddbrook_Reservoir