Author Topic: PP Movie Review Thread.  (Read 245 times)

Zetaspeak

• KDWN
Re: PP Movie Review Thread.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »
I want to start keeping better track of the films I watch and my feelings on them. I will rate movies here on a scale of 1-10 and give a few thoughts. My scale is heavily weighted towards the middle, meaning a 5 is a perfectly acceptable but probably forgettable movie experience.

To start off I will say my favorite movie going experience of the year has been Ari Aster's Midsommar. It's a slow burn folk horror, film in the vein of the original Wicker Man only much better in my opinion.  The cinematography and directing were beyond impressive. There were several shots that on a technical level made my jaw drop.  Equally beautiful and disturbing, I give it an 8 out of 10.

This is the last movie I saw in the theaters, I would call it a total mindfck. I kind of few it as a horror movie for people who hate horror movie (someone I went with is not a fan of current horror but loved this one) It breaks a lot of the current horror cliché (heck the whole movie is done in bright sunshine) A slow burn is right, you just feel a discomfort growing throughout and the end is pretty unsettling. I think it certainly is memorable and will stay with you for a little bit.

Thanks for the Scary Stories to tell in  the dark review. I see it on the listings, it catches my interest but I have not heard much about it. But it seems to be doing well with making a total of 40M in two weeks surpassing there 25M budget with a 81% RT critics and 72% audience. It might be a fun throwaway movie

Pizzapunch

• Ellightened
Re: PP Movie Review Thread.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
This is the last movie I saw in the theaters, I would call it a total mindfck. I kind of few it as a horror movie for people who hate horror movie (someone I went with is not a fan of current horror but loved this one) It breaks a lot of the current horror cliché (heck the whole movie is done in bright sunshine) A slow burn is right, you just feel a discomfort growing throughout and the end is pretty unsettling. I think it certainly is memorable and will stay with you for a little bit.

Thanks for the Scary Stories to tell in  the dark review. I see it on the listings, it catches my interest but I have not heard much about it. But it seems to be doing well with making a total of 40M in two weeks surpassing there 25M budget with a 81% RT critics and 72% audience. It might be a fun throwaway movie
It is a fun popcorn flick that will push a few nostalgia buttons. A nice warmup for It chapter 2 next month.
    If you enjoy Midsommar and Hereditary, I recommend checking out Ari Asters short films as well especially The strange thing about the Johnsons. The guy knows how to make a viewer feel uneasy for sure. https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3570679/looking-ari-asters-obsession-familial-horror-disturbing-short-films/