Author Topic: Dive Boat Conception Fire off Santa Cruz Island - Many Missing  (Read 51 times)

Up All Night

• Drone Pilot
  • I remember when
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Dive Boat Conception Fire off Santa Cruz Island - Many Missing
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
At least 33 feared dead as 75ft dive boat bursts into flames off the coast of California: Coast Guard launches huge rescue operation after vessel caught fire while the passengers were asleep

The vessel caught fire near Santa Cruz Island off the coast of Southern California at around 3.30am Monday 
    Five crew members were rescued and 33 people who were sleeping below deck are currently missing 
    Recovery efforts were still underway as of 8am amid reports that the boat had 'burned down to the water line'
    The Coast Guard said rescuers were unable to go onboard because the boat continued to reignite
    The dive boat, called Conception, is operated by Truth Aquatics and based at Santa Barbara Harbor 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7419423/Many-feared-dead-boat-bursts-flames-California-30-people-rescued.html

BartEllProducer

• Ellightened
  • It’s my show and I can cry if I want to!
    • The Bartcast
Re: Dive Boat Conception Fire off Santa Cruz Island - Many Missing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:10 AM »
My first thought would be exploding oxygen tanks.

KSM

• Senior Moderator
  • Elluminati
  • Check Here
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
@BartEllProducer Or they had a bad connection to the propane tank and when it came time to light the BBQ, kaboom! That's why I'm a charcoal grill guy, and I stay on land. Nothing good happens out there on the ocean and we don't need to be swooshing all over the damn planet. Water's a stupidhead fartface! :P
YOU'RE NOT A GIRAFFE!

.L-L/R.....R-R/L......L-R.....L......R-L
S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' SSP ' RDP

(SSP) ' (RDP) '' (FSP) '' (RSP)? ( split fist combo )

(RDP)''(FR-F-Roll)'''Random-Set-3.

Evil Twin Of Zen

• KNYE
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »

;)

Oxygen becomes rapidly toxic at depth – prolonged exposure to pure oxygen below a few metres can kill you. It is not an appropriate scuba tank gas mixture. Technical divers use pure oxygen on carefully-calculated decompression dives, but this is beyond the scope of recreational diving and should not be attempted. Oxygen is also highly reactive and can make other substances flammable. Safety training is necessary to work with pure oxygen.

What Scuba Tank Gas Mixture do Divers use?
http://www.elitedivingagency.com/articles/scuba-tank-gas-mixture-divers-use/

BartEllProducer

• Ellightened
  • It’s my show and I can cry if I want to!
    • The Bartcast
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:34:24 AM »
@BartEllProducer Or they had a bad connection to the propane tank and when it came time to light the BBQ, kaboom! That's why I'm a charcoal grill guy, and I stay on land. Nothing good happens out there on the ocean and we don't need to be swooshing all over the damn planet. Water's a stupidhead fartface! :P

Could be the source of the ignition. It will be interesting what they find.