Author Topic: The Kingdom of Nyet with Heather Wade  (Read 13121766 times)

GROYPN4LIFE

• KIDD
  • want 2 pet my puddy cat
Re: The Kingdom of Drama without Heather Wade
« Reply #53550 on: November 20, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
Definitely not posh. It was originally very much a West Country accent so quite rural, and then I lived in London for over 20 years and it faded a bit. It’s not posh, not particularly London, but not as broad as the accent I had when I was growing up. It’s not dead common, but also definitely not upper class.

I think Heather has potentially not had much contact (apart from her interviews with people) from different countries and probably still associates say a British accent with the archetypal baddie in a film or maybe even the cliche of a posh person from say Downton Abbey.

I was renting a car in Albequeque (is that the right spelling its after 1am!) and the ladies behind the desk were aghast that I had an English accent, obviously not many people rent from Dollar there who are from the UK. They kept asking me to say things and I was grumpy and tired and still had 125 odd miles to go to get to my destination.

was it the accent or the fact you were trying to fit yourself in the cheap go cart size clown car. I can see shock awe either way

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #53551 on: November 20, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Hi Spook! Talk to you later, when everyone else is in bed!
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

GROYPN4LIFE

• KIDD
« Reply #53552 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Think she mad cause she cant spunk some more -1

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #53553 on: November 20, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
Definitely not posh. It was originally very much a West Country accent so quite rural, and then I lived in London for over 20 years and it faded a bit. It’s not posh, not particularly London, but not as broad as the accent I had when I was growing up. It’s not dead common, but also definitely not upper class.

I think Heather has potentially not had much contact (apart from her interviews with people) from different countries and probably still associates say a British accent with the archetypal baddie in a film or maybe even the cliche of a posh person from say Downton Abbey.

I was renting a car in Albequeque (is that the right spelling its after 1am!) and the ladies behind the desk were aghast that I had an English accent, obviously not many people rent from Dollar there who are from the UK. They kept asking me to say things and I was grumpy and tired and still had 125 odd miles to go to get to my destination.
Interesting. Definitely not RP and I was a bit taken aback how Heather seemed intimidated. It was weird. I find it amazing how many accents can exist in what is a relatively small area and I imagine to some degree there is blending or changing as economics, migrants, and class-structure changes. One notes how the BBC seems to be hell-bent on using regional, and even foreign, accents as opposed to before using "BBC English."   I also enjoy how some people can "turn them off" or "resort back" depending on area. I think this mainly is more educated people? But Idk. Also learn to switch and also study how to "get over" an accent?  You can be in meetings with Scots, for example but then go down to a factory line with them and not understand a word of them talking Glaswegian with the workers. Or how Pakistani/Indians can put on the "Indian accent" or talk normal, or even revert- still using English- to the heavily accented English when talking with their parents etc.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #53554 on: November 20, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
I think the English are the most guilty of the speaking loudly to make people understand. We are very lazy with languages. We barely see the point - everyone speaks our language.

My sister’s partner is from Belgium. He speaks 4 European languages fluently. We never had to try and are payin the price for it now.
I, for one, hope the English and the Americans never give up their chauvinism and sense of cultural superiority!!

timebandit

• Elluminati
« Reply #53555 on: November 20, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Right, that was why DH called her, to intimidate her with her accent.  Whaaa?  That doesn't even make sense!  Her brain (whatever of that there might be) shuts down pretty fast when she gets a good spin going.
I was thinking "Huh? how does it do that?"

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #53556 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
Hi Spook! Talk to you later, when everyone else is in bed!

Yes! Sleep well!
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #53557 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
Interesting. Definitely not RP and I was a bit taken aback how Heather seemed intimidated. It was weird. I find it amazing how many accents can exist in what is a relatively small area and I imagine to some degree there is blending or changing as economics, migrants, and class-structure changes. One notes how the BBC seems to be hell-bent on using regional, and even foreign, accents as opposed to before using "BBC English."   I also enjoy how some people can "turn them off" or "resort back" depending on area. I think this mainly is more educated people? But Idk. Also learn to switch and also study how to "get over" an accent?  You can be in meetings with Scots, for example but then go down to a factory line with them and not understand a word of them talking Glaswegian with the workers. Or how Pakistani/Indians can put on the "Indian accent" or talk normal, or even revert- still using English- to the heavily accented English when talking with their parents etc.

Have some fun with this https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/Survey-of-English-dialects
I am from rural West Berkshire - so you can hear how I would have sounded as a kid :)
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #53558 on: November 20, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
Hi @Spookcat !

I love seeing your avatar, @PolkaDot HBC is amazing.  :)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #53559 on: November 20, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
KFC is a Christmas staple in Japan.
Good morning, afternoon and evening everyone.

Meow
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #53560 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I once saw a documentary about KFC in Japan. It actually was sort of interesting.

GROYPN4LIFE

• KIDD
« Reply #53561 on: November 20, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
hopefully the nacho bell grande will soothe it to sleep.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #53562 on: November 20, 2018, 05:37:33 PM »
Apparently they love KFC in the Orient. The reason sometimes McDs in a foreign land is good is not because it is a good burger but it is fun to see regionalisms and you can be assured you will get a consistent product that will taste the same (if ordering standard product,) whether bought in Europe, Japan, or Iowa. English tourists are often even more boorish than Americans- but mainly because they drink more, often go shirtless, and travel more since a small country.  And like Americans, when in doubt you can make a foreigner understand your English if you SPEAK LOUDER!

You can get rice and saimin at McDonald's in Hawaii. At least you used to.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #53563 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:13 PM »
Meow

Meow! >^~.~^<
How are you doing, Gravity? Are you feeling any better?

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #53564 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Chicken or ice cream?