Author Topic: The Kingdom of Nyet with Heather Wade  (Read 13124649 times)

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
Re: The Kingdom of Drama without Heather Wade
« Reply #58005 on: December 02, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
Sorry I saw this late.  It needs a good analysis.  Any input is appreciated.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Couple of things that I have noticed with this picture.  I believe the smaller glass would have been replaced with the larger one, the bigger one blocked her view of the rolls for the photo.  Another one is the pile of extra silverware on the table for whatever reason.  Last one is that the knife on the left place setting faces another direction.  If someone knows Art’s favorite way to have his silverware laid out, we might have a winner.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #58006 on: December 02, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
Geez, thanks for the warning!  I might have overflowed my roasting pan, with disastrous results.

Interesting about the wild geese.  AFAIK liver tastes the way it does mostly because it retains blood.  Adding blood to stew, as in Filipino dinuguan,, produces a liverish flavor.

When I got married while I was in the air force my wife and I tried to cook a goose for our first thanksgiving since it was just the two of us. We did in fact overflow the roasting pan and the goose was about half the size when it was cooked (although my memory might be tainted since it was quite the disaster).

I have never bought a store bought goose or duck since. I hunted ducks and geese for years. I can eat some ducks like mallards and teal but any of the fish feeders like mergansers or spoonbills I give away. Much too gamy for my tastes. After the first year I gave away all my geese as well.
Are we having fun yet?

K_Dubb

• Elluminati
« Reply #58007 on: December 02, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Couple of things that I have noticed with this picture.  I believe the smaller glass would have been replaced with the larger one, the bigger one blocked her view of the rolls for the photo.  Another one is the pile of extra silverware on the table for whatever reason.  Last one is that the knife on the left place setting faces another direction.  If someone knows Art’s favorite way to have his silverware laid out, we might have a winner.

I supposed those to be serving spoons for the dishes that don't have them.

Upon further examination the marks on the duck breast are probably scoring, since they extend around to the sides.  The balance swings back to home-cooked!

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #58008 on: December 02, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
They look larger to start but once you cook them you get about a half gallon of fat in the pan. I was shocked the first time I tried to cook a store bought one how much fat oozed out. When I have gone goose hunting we always just breasted them out. The wild geese don’t have near the fat. As least the snows and speckled bellies that are common down here. The breasts are really dark. Almost like liver.  I don’t care for them. My brother loves them. He soaks them in milk like liver. Of course he likes liver and I don’t.

I had a Christmas goose with chestnut stuffing a couple X-mases ago. (Kind of a bucket list thing.) It was fairly good, but not memorable as compared to some of the hams and roasts of years past.

I don't care for liver much either, but I do like braunschweiger on toasted rye.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #58009 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
A dieter's Thanksgiving? The duck would not provide sufficient meat for two people having a holiday feast unless the side dishes were heavily relied upon for fill. (The duck would still have a hollow space, cartilage and bones in a ratio to any other fowl) The lack of cranberries and yams is also notable. This is indeed, a rebel's dinner (although the pie could be a sweet potato pie.) The honeydew melon is the most out of place of all, even as an incorporated Chinese tradition wouldn't make sense as it was cultivated in Lanzhou area from the 1940s afterward (at the same time her father had came to America). The stuffing quantity, while low, is in an equitable proportion to the duck.

It is also strange that she would be using Land O Lakes spread almost as an afterthought (or deliberate dieting?) as real butter would be called for to prepare a quality meal, and it can't be for monetary reasons as a whole duck in Pahrump would be likely had through a costly special order from Albertsons or even more expensive through a Pahrump Chinese Restaurant.  Most of the leftovers would be likely of the cornbread, mashed potatoes and melon. The party nut mix was likely not touched at all at meal time and seems placed to make this look like a more bountiful feast than it really is.

The wineglass issue could be overlooked as there is no wine present, only mead, but it does reveal she does not have one more of either style of glass as she normally would be OCD enough to make sure they did match. (The smaller one could be a type of wine glass used with sweet wines, or possibly a type of whiskey or brandy glass (snifter).

As for the place settings, it is also notable that the napkins are on the right (wrong) side of the plate and at an odd 45 degree angle (perhaps to simulate the look of a proper folded napkin, or make the table look more full - or probably for both reasons) The guest may indeed be a ghost as this plate and utensils could easily be simply put back at the end of the ritual.

An additional tidbit: The planned dining music was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

The silverware is not set right either.

K_Dubb

• Elluminati
« Reply #58010 on: December 02, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »

The silverware is not set right either.

I have seen that setting quite a bit.  I think it is borrowed from the kind of restaurants that bundle everything.

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #58011 on: December 02, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »
I supposed those to be serving spoons for the dishes that don't have them.

Upon further examination the marks on the duck breast are probably scoring, since they extend around to the sides.  The balance swings back to home-cooked!
That was my thought but the dishes all have them except for the broccoli and the pie.  Perhaps forgotten in the haste of getting the photo out there.  Her photos have this lay of the land quality to them when she shows stuff off. 

AngiefromNJ

• Filthy Animal
  • Elluminati
  • I AM THE NEW HALLIE
« Reply #58012 on: December 02, 2018, 12:35:11 PM »
I dont like the sound of my own voice...Eek!
I love your voice!!!!!!

K_Dubb

• Elluminati
« Reply #58013 on: December 02, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
That was my thought but the dishes all have them except for the broccoli and the pie.  Perhaps forgotten in the haste of getting the photo out there.  Her photos have this lay of the land quality to them when she shows stuff off.

The potatoes?  That would account for the three visible, plus the serving fork thing for the duck?

AngiefromNJ

• Filthy Animal
  • Elluminati
  • I AM THE NEW HALLIE
« Reply #58014 on: December 02, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
Angie, I pray for your health and just consider the source. Whiskey Sour Vara is just a troglodyte; a mean, nasty and unintelligent, no, make that stupid little man with his stupid little radio network!
I honestly find it funny that a simple mom from NJ is on big bad Vera's radar....He is a tool

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #58015 on: December 02, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
I honestly find it funny that a simple mom from NJ is on big bad Vera's radar....He is a tool

Skankfest

Dwindling Stacks

• Elluminati
« Reply #58016 on: December 02, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
The potatoes?  That would account for the three visible, plus the serving fork thing for the duck?
That would be weird way to serve the potato’s with larger utensils present.  You never know with this one.

Ms. C

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #58017 on: December 02, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »

And not the sharpest tool in the shed either!!

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #58018 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
That would be weird way to serve the potato’s with larger utensils present.  You never know with this one.

We might need to vote.

Is it creamed corn or applesauce?

K_Dubb

• Elluminati
« Reply #58019 on: December 02, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »

Good point; also your point about the glass size.  Can the photo really be that staged?  The rolls, however delicious they may be, are hardly things of beauty.