Author Topic: Fave Horror Films 💀  (Read 24120 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Fave Horror Films 💀
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2022, 10:11:26 AM »
I check every year. And EVERY year I am reminded of the law of diminishing returns. Sometimes great cinematography and a seemingly good representation in the trailer sucks me in. But sure enough, within 10 or-so minutes I/you know exactly how things are going to unfold. Sometimes it is quite apparent that they have borrowed/lifted from two or three other successful movies, and it makes it even more of a cringe experience as they fumble and fuck themselves in what turns out to be a big damn waste of time for ME!

I JUST WANT TO SETTLE IN FOR A GENUINE NEW IDEA and enjoy an original cinematic experience.

I'm with ya man.  There have been many times where after 15 minutes I thought "I should just leave."  However, I paid $14 for a ticket and I'll never get it back, so I just sit there in misery.

And that's another thing. At least 75% of "horror" movies now are aimed at teens and those in their 20's. And of course the scantily clad chick or two is going to get sawed in half and you know it an hour before it happens. I won't even get started on the whole 'found footage' scourge that sprang from Blair Witch in 2000.

..I'm bitter and soured on the whole movie experience these days.

One of my buddies thinks that Blair Witch is one of the best horror films ever.  He talked me into seeing it with him when it came out.  (It was his third time watching it)  All that went through my mind was that I wanted to slap him in the face for wasting my time.  The movie would've been better if I could somehow get into the actual film as a character and kill them all.  I hated it.  Thank goodness he purchased my ticket.

bateman

• Ellightened
  • 위대한 수령 김일성동지는 항상 우리와 함께 계시리라
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2022, 10:28:07 AM »
I'm with ya man.  There have been many times where after 15 minutes I thought "I should just leave."  However, I paid $14 for a ticket and I'll never get it back, so I just sit there in misery.

I walked out 90% of the way through The Menu last night. Hated every minute of it and couldn't take it any more.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is what the critics thought of it.  ::)

bateman

• Ellightened
  • 위대한 수령 김일성동지는 항상 우리와 함께 계시리라
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2022, 10:39:27 AM »
I check every year. And EVERY year I am reminded of the law of diminishing returns. Sometimes great cinematography and a seemingly good representation in the trailer sucks me in. But sure enough, within 10 or-so minutes I/you know exactly how things are going to unfold. Sometimes it is quite apparent that they have borrowed/lifted from two or three other successful movies, and it makes it even more of a cringe experience as they fumble and fuck themselves in what turns out to be a big damn waste of time for ME!

Totally this.

I JUST WANT TO SETTLE IN FOR A GENUINE NEW IDEA and enjoy an original cinematic experience.

The only really inventive new horror/thriller concepts I've seen in recent years are a handful of Black Mirror episodes.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »
I walked out 90% of the way through The Menu last night. Hated every minute of it and couldn't take it any more.

This is what the critics thought of it.  ::)

I don't know much about that movie and had no interest in seeing it.  Please tell me that they were eating people.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2022, 11:06:16 AM »
This clearly is the Fave Horror Films thread but we've been critical of some things.  I'm not sure a Worst Horror Films thread is needed but I know what the worst one is.

House of the Dead  Uwe Boll directed it and he is known for shitty movies.

It came out in 2003 and was based on a 1996 Sega video game.  The movie was terrible.  What made it worse is that at random times during the film the Sega Video game would appear on the screen.

Here are a few reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and I concur.

One of the most astonishingly idiotic pieces of entertainment I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

House of the Dead is a very entertaining film, but only because it's made in a such inept and unprofessional way that it's almost impossible to believe that it was shown in cinemas.

Atrociously Bad Horror/Acton Movie. The acting is clueless (Sadly it looks like they are trying), horrific dialogue, no chemistry, no charm, generic and no likeable characters. At its best the acting is ok (10% of the time) and the rest just beyond bad. The cinematography is.....bad is putting it lightly.

This is the first live-action horror movie based on a video game that I've ever seen in which the game's animation is actually used as a repeated special effect. This is not a good thing.

It was me, a friend, and five other people in the theater.  That's it.  Within 20 minutes it turned into each of us making fun of the movie.  It all started when my friend exclaimed "God! This is awful!"  Everybody laughed and agreed.  We stayed through the whole thing because of the joy of making fun of it.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »
The horror films that freaked me out the most the first time I saw them.

1) Night of the Living Dead - First saw it as a kid at a Saturday matinee.

2) The Last Man on Earth - The Vincent Price one. Again as a wee child at a matinee. That damn front door scene, with his wife coming back from the dead. Don’t open the door, Vincent!

3) Alien - Holy Hell.

4) The Thing - John Carpenter. One of the best, if not the best, of the remakes.

Probably a few more, but I definitely haven’t forgotten the ones above. For some reason, The Exorcist and The Shining didn’t do much for me.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2022, 11:33:34 AM »
This clearly is the Fave Horror Films thread but we've been critical of some things.  I'm not sure a Worst Horror Films thread is needed but I know what the worst one is.

House of the Dead  Uwe Boll directed it and he is known for shitty movies.

It came out in 2003 and was based on a 1996 Sega video game.  The movie was terrible.  What made it worse is that at random times during the film the Sega Video game would appear on the screen.

Here are a few reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and I concur.

One of the most astonishingly idiotic pieces of entertainment I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

House of the Dead is a very entertaining film, but only because it's made in a such inept and unprofessional way that it's almost impossible to believe that it was shown in cinemas.

Atrociously Bad Horror/Acton Movie. The acting is clueless (Sadly it looks like they are trying), horrific dialogue, no chemistry, no charm, generic and no likeable characters. At its best the acting is ok (10% of the time) and the rest just beyond bad. The cinematography is.....bad is putting it lightly.

This is the first live-action horror movie based on a video game that I've ever seen in which the game's animation is actually used as a repeated special effect. This is not a good thing.

It was me, a friend, and five other people in the theater.  That's it.  Within 20 minutes it turned into each of us making fun of the movie.  It all started when my friend exclaimed "God! This is awful!"  Everybody laughed and agreed.  We stayed through the whole thing because of the joy of making fun of it.
Heh, heh, heh… MST3K is calling. :)

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2022, 01:19:15 PM »
The horror films that freaked me out the most the first time I saw them.

1) Night of the Living Dead - First saw it as a kid at a Saturday matinee.

2) The Last Man on Earth - The Vincent Price one. Again as a wee child at a matinee. That damn front door scene, with his wife coming back from the dead. Don’t open the door, Vincent!

3) Alien - Holy Hell.

4) The Thing - John Carpenter. One of the best, if not the best, of the remakes.

Probably a few more, but I definitely haven’t forgotten the ones above. For some reason, The Exorcist and The Shining didn’t do much for me.

I am with you on Night of the Living Dead, The Last Man on Earth, Alien, and The Thing.  The Shining didn't do much for me either, but The Exorcist did.

Add a few of the Halloween movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and of course what I mentioned in an earlier post...Salem's Lot.  The vampire in Salem's Lot and that window scene wit the brother freaked me out.

I also have an appreciation for John Carpenter's, Prince of Darkness.  I thought it was very underrated.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2022, 01:32:53 PM »
Heh, heh, heh… MST3K is calling. :)

LOL!  That's pretty much how it went down.  Me, a friend, along with 5 strangers just taking their turns bashing the film.  It was great.  Those who were sitting in the lower rows moved up the aisle to the point where we were all together just talking smack to a movie screen.   ;D

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
Does watching both Elvira starring films count as horror  ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
Does watching both Elvira starring films count as horror  ;D

I find them to be something else.  :D  Unless this is horrific...  ;)

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2022, 03:53:52 PM »
I am with you on Night of the Living Dead, The Last Man on Earth, Alien, and The Thing.  The Shining didn't do much for me either, but The Exorcist did.

Add a few of the Halloween movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and of course what I mentioned in an earlier post...Salem's Lot.  The vampire in Salem's Lot and that window scene wit the brother freaked me out.

I also have an appreciation for John Carpenter's, Prince of Darkness.  I thought it was very underrated.
Oh, yeah. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The original. Man, was that gruesome.

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2022, 09:19:09 AM »
Just finished Terrifier.  Moral: Don’t fuck with clowns.  If the blonde had just left Art alone this would have been a rom-com.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2022, 10:18:31 AM »
Sometimes there are particular scenes from an otherwise half-assed movie that fuck you up and give 7 year old me nightmares! I don't know what the hell the weird troll dwarf has to do with anything. The movie is about a couple whose young daughters' life is cut short when she drowns in a pond near the family home. So what do they do? Take a trip to Venice to clear their heads but eventually they start seeing a small figure disappearing around corners and such wearing a little red coat identical to their daughters. You never really see what or who is in the coat until the end after Donald Sutherlands character chases it? down.  When she/it turned around seven-year-old me almost shit his pants in surprised and unexpected fight.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2022, 02:36:33 PM »
Sometimes there are particular scenes from an otherwise half-assed movie that fuck you up and give 7 year old me nightmares! I don't know what the hell the weird troll dwarf has to do with anything. The movie is about a couple whose young daughters' life is cut short when she drowns in a pond near the family home. So what do they do? Take a trip to Venice to clear their heads but eventually they start seeing a small figure disappearing around corners and such wearing a little red coat identical to their daughters. You never really see what or who is in the coat until the end after Donald Sutherlands character chases it? down.  When she/it turned around seven-year-old me almost shit his pants in surprised and unexpected fight.

I didn't like that movie.  I couldn't grasp it when I was young.  I was maybe 10 or 11.  Anyway, wasn't there a mention that the dwarf was a serial killer, and it was implied that Donald Sutherland's character was still in a bad state of mind and imagined that was his daughter?

I attempted to watch it again several years ago, with an adult mind, but as it started my gut said 'nope.'