Author Topic: Why the Moon ?? The Artemis Base Camp on the Moon  (Read 1471 times)

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Why the Moon ?? The Artemis Base Camp on the Moon
« on: August 26, 2021, 12:58:12 AM »
The Artemis missions will build a community on the Moon, driving a new lunar economy and inspiring a new generation.  NASA team members explain why returning to the Moon is the natural next step in human exploration, and how the lessons learned from Artemis will pave the way to Mars and beyond. As NASA prepares to launch the Orion spacecraft and Space Launch System rocket on the uncrewed Artemis I mission around the Moon, we’ve already begun to take the next step.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
Re: Why the Moon ?? The Artemis Base Camp on the Moon
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 11:51:50 PM »

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 06:27:48 PM »

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »
 Orion Heatshield Aftermath Following Lunar Return | Artemis I

Views from USS Portland's well deck of the Artemis I Orion capsule after its arrival at Naval Base San Diego on December 13.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 11:45:24 PM »
Was this whole thing super anti-climatic. I can't even call it that as I didn't feel any buzz going into this at all. We became such a instant visual society I think the description of it and a stationary visual of the control room isn't really going to grab the imagination. CNN coverage was just weird with William Shatner as an expert guest.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Arnt
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 01:02:40 AM »
Was this whole thing super anti-climatic. I can't even call it that as I didn't feel any buzz going into this at all. We became such a instant visual society I think the description of it and a stationary visual of the control room isn't really going to grab the imagination. CNN coverage was just weird with William Shatner as an expert guest.

The coverage I saw showed silhouetted people in a control room standing about looking at monitors, etc.  When the landing occurred, we were warned of a two minute grace period before a verification-of-landing signal was to be received.  Five plus minutes later a single, weak signal was received from the lander, leading many of us to believe that there had been a problem with the landing.  The two commentators I was watching mentioned the signal and a company bigwig's voice came on, congratulating all the workers for a job well done.  There was much clapping and shoulder slapping and then the coverage was rapidly ended.  The whole thing seemed kind of phony to me, but, the last info I read says that the first picture on the moon is being transmitted to earth, so I guess it was a successful landing after all. 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 05:28:15 AM »
This didn't help matters much either.  "Awaiting first image" - like forever..........

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Arnt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 10:44:39 AM »
This didn't help matters much either.  "Awaiting first image" - like forever..........

19 hours plus and counting...

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Arnt
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 02:48:15 PM »
The company mouthpieces are admitting that the lander didn't land upright.  It appears to have tipped over.  They think that the onboard experiments will still function. They are still waiting on the pictures, to be able to ascertain how far the lander tipped over.

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 07:46:22 PM »
The company mouthpieces are admitting that the lander didn't land upright.  It appears to have tipped over.  They think that the onboard experiments will still function. They are still waiting on the pictures, to be able to ascertain how far the lander tipped over.

I Knew It ! ! !

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 07:20:19 AM »
NASA explained that this was a relativity low cost mission by design. NASA said they could fund 10 of these low cost mission for the price one major mission, like one of the ones to Mars for example.

What led to the current lander having a bad landing was simple human error on this relatively low cost mission. The safety covers on the laser navigation devices were not removed before sending the lander for launch.

Oooooops

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Arnt
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 11:04:18 AM »
I think the thing crashed worse than they (Intuitive Machines Co.) are saying.  Look how tall and narrow that lander is. And now they say that Odysseus was moving sideways as it landed & caught a rock, causing it to fall over.  Well what would one expect?  Especially on such rocky, dusty terrain?  Sorry, but I'm labelling this as a failed mission.  I see the lander falling over and slamming onto to the moon so hard that it was only able to transmit a weak signal.  Hope I'm wrong, but as far as any pictures go, well... “We wait. We are bored. No, don’t protest, we are bored to death, there’s no denying it."  Samuel Beckett

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »
Remember when Art said the Martians shot down one of the early rovers?  They tried to tell us there was some confusion between the metric system and real measurement s.
Merry Christmas