Author Topic: Bastards  (Read 678 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Bastards
« on: November 24, 2021, 05:41:30 AM »
Qualcomm decided to end the Recivia server - that's the server that operates many Internet radios.  When the service is completely shut down, these radios are worthless.  Both @Lonevoice and I ordered these radios to listen to Art's Sirius show. 

I began to look for a radio that would still work and wound up at CCrane as the only place that had any in stock.  In checking out, I was asked how I learned about the company and presented with a long list.  Scrolling down, I found Art Bell and checked it.  I wonder how many Arts they get every year.
Merry Christmas

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
Re: Bastards
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 07:06:27 PM »
Qualcomm decided to end the Recivia server - that's the server that operates many Internet radios.  When the service is completely shut down, these radios are worthless.  Both @Lonevoice and I ordered these radios to listen to Art's Sirius show. 

I began to look for a radio that would still work and wound up at CCrane as the only place that had any in stock.  In checking out, I was asked how I learned about the company and presented with a long list.  Scrolling down, I found Art Bell and checked it.  I wonder how many Arts they get every year.

Hey Little Juan,  what happened with this situation.  Did it go down like you posted or was there a reprieve?

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 07:30:33 PM »
CCrane… hadn’t thought about them in awhile. On their site,

“We are sorry, but Reciva's software is 15 years old and will soon not work anymore. There is no path to upgrade due to the age of the code and the incompatibility with new hardware. In addition, there are no longer people who fundamentally understand the ins-and-outs of this proprietary code and programming. We have exhausted all possibilities along these lines. This is the nature of all software and hardware, at some point it reaches End-Of-Life and is obsolete.

We know how important Internet radio is to our customers. We have completed a new radio called the CC WiFi-3. It uses a new third-party stream provider called Skytune. We have already received the first small production run and a larger shipment is on the way. Existing owners of our CC WiFi must be served first. Our next shipment is due to arrive late September 2021. Additional shipments will be placed as demand is determined.“

https://ccrane.com/

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 07:38:59 PM »
What I don't understand is why they couldn't put an Android operating system on the stupid thing and just upload updates for all the channels. What is preventing them from doing that? I would love to have a box with a decent sized speaker that had a way to do a search for a subject matter or channel and be able to listen to it without worrying about draining my cell phone battery...

Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 04:03:43 AM »
I understood that the old servers were gen3, which are all being shut down, but what do I know.  I got the C. Crane radio mentioned above and it works fine.  It works well, boots up in seconds, has a decent speaker, and doesn’t require computer access or occupying your phone.
Merry Christmas

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 07:09:54 AM »
I understood that the old servers were gen3, which are all being shut down, but what do I know.  I got the C. Crane radio mentioned above and it works fine.  It works well, boots up in seconds, has a decent speaker, and doesn’t require computer access or occupying your phone.

If they just wanted to point things to different servers, they could just take the old, last, update and fiddle with a few things to point it somewhere else. I think CCrane is fibbing or isn't creative enough to make a workaround.  I wonder how many will just revert to their phones...and how many will buy a new one from them...

Wonder what Amazon sells them for?

Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:15 AM »
It’s not CCrane that had the problem.  The non-working radio was made by Grace Digital.search for problems caused by shutting down generation 3 servers, and you’ll see the problem was wide spread.
Merry Christmas