Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 513537 times)

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2018, 03:36:53 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
You're a great artist, Tootsie!
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Wayne Clark
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Here is an advertising postcard for Oakite, a cleanser that came in a box.  Powder form, I'm guessing, like baking soda or that Bon Ami stuff.

Interestingly, Oakite is still in use today, but I think it is more for industrial use and it now comes in liquid form.  Don't quote me but I think it is unavailable for home use.  The box of Oakite shown above was being advertised back on November 1, 1948.  http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/show-picture?id=1181274595 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
I was on ebay for a postcard auction last Sunday.  Here are some cards that I wanted but didn't get.

Ad 1971 Mercury Cougar Convertible.

Florida Famous Restaurant Lake Worth.

Florida Fort Myers Beach Edison Cafeteria Lamplighter Restaurant Lounge.

Nevada Golden Nugget Reno.

New York Bath M&R Restaurant.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:49 PM »
I was on ebay for a postcard auction last Sunday.  Here are some cards that I wanted but didn't get...

How much do these things go for?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
How much do these things go for?

All of the seller's postcards have opening bids of 50 cents.  I'd say there are about 2,000 postcards listed on the Lightfoot auction.  You can bid on the postcards for a full week until the bids start to expire on Sunday.  As soon as that auction is over, another one starts right in, and I honestly don't understand where the guy finds the time to list all the cards plus describe each and every one and also take photos of them.  I'd say a good half of the postcards that I bid on go for 50 cents, meaning that nobody else bid on them.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »

Here is a look at the Bronze Room from inside the Hotel Cleveland.  The building is still there but I'm not too sure about the Bronze Room.  There have been a number of renovations throughout the years and also some changes of ownership.  It is now called the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel.

The back of the card says Famous for Dining and Dancing.  There is some truth to that because.....
Eliot Ness and his wife Evaline frequently danced in the hotel's famous Bronze Room during his time in Cleveland.
Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Cleveland_Hotel

Here is another postcard that shows the Cleveland Hotel.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »

Here we have a postcard showing a restaurant at the Chicago Zoo.  I doubt that this very restaurant is still there, but you can still get lots of lunchtime eats at the zoo.  https://www.czs.org/Home.aspx  You can choose just about anything, from hamburgers, to taco salads.  Speaking of hamburgers, there are a lot of fancy burger dishes served there.

Daddy sent the postcard on July 23, 1945.  After visiting the zoo, he could have taken in a movie, namely The Shanghai Cobra.  Lucky Dad.   The Shanghai Cobra was a Charlie Chan film starring the great Sidney Toler and Mantan Moreland.  It was a Monogram Pictures release and it doesn't have quite the production qualities of earlier Chan movies but it does have lots of fun, somewhat quirky scenes in it.  For instance, the movie starts out in a greasy spoon restaurant where the cook has made a glorious pot of beef stew and yet everybody that comes in wants coffee instead.  There is a jukebox there that you walk up to and a voice comes out of it, asking what you want to hear.  A lady, situated in another building, has voice and video connection via the jukebox and she can see and hear what goes on in the restaurant.  Anyway, if she has the record requested, she will play it for you, for a nickel.     

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »

Here we have a postcard showing a restaurant at the Chicago Zoo.  I doubt that this very restaurant is still there, but you can still get lots of lunchtime eats at the zoo.  https://www.czs.org/Home.aspx  You can choose just about anything, from hamburgers, to taco salads.  Speaking of hamburgers, there are a lot of fancy burger dishes served there.

Daddy sent the postcard on July 23, 1945.  After visiting the zoo, he could have taken in a movie, namely The Shanghai Cobra.  Lucky Dad.   The Shanghai Cobra was a Charlie Chan film starring the great Sidney Toler and Mantan Moreland.  It was a Monogram Pictures release and it doesn't have quite the production qualities of earlier Chan movies but it does have lots of fun, somewhat quirky scenes in it.  For instance, the movie starts out in a greasy spoon restaurant where the cook has made a glorious pot of beef stew and yet everybody that comes in wants coffee instead.  There is a jukebox there that you walk up to and a voice comes out of it, asking what you want to hear.  A lady, situated in another building, has voice and video connection via the jukebox and she can see and hear what goes on in the restaurant.  Anyway, if she has the record requested, she will play it for you, for a nickel.   

Nice cards and reference to Chan movie. In bad spot for cells and no online but managed a low bar n check ellgab and needed to credit a Charlie Chan, and Moreland, reference. Btw I sent some postcards today.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened