Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 25386 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
It's extremely difficult to recover from the twin disasters of the Bush administration and the Obama administration. Those two calamities lasted for sixteen long years! The former brought us endless war, and the latter brought us endless strife. Hillary would have been the coup de grace.
I still can't wrap my head around how easily they did it either, nothing like having a friendly swamp to gas our liberties in. :(

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »
1940’s - Big Band music, fashion, old Hollywood
1950’s - Hollywood movies, mid-century modern homes, style, Tiki culture.
1960’s - MUSIC!!!
1970’s - Best decade for rock, also some of the best TV shows, comedy, drama, variety shows
1980’s - Themed restaurants were interesting,  some good music as well, but the introduction of electric drums, synth-everything was a bit excessive and off-putting.
1990’s - Grunge made me miss the 80’s sound!  Went back to listening to 60’s - 80’s music.
2000’s - Indie pop music, especially from SoCal.

My guess is that you're older or retro. We definitely are shaped by the culture of our youth. Many Boomers were harsh critics of Generation X (my generation) in the '80s and the '90s. I promised myself that I would never be like that when I got older, but Millennials make it very hard to keep my promise.  ;)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Not so many folks remember Journey started as a 70s band. Greg Rollie used to be Santana's keyboardist and singer too, iirc.

Pepperidge Farm remembers. I do too because I took my 'member berries.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »
I still can't wrap my head around how easily they did it either, nothing like having a friendly swamp to gas our liberties in. :(

It helps to have a gaslighting media. Most news anchors sound like gang stalkers.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
My guess is that you're older or retro. We definitely are shaped by the culture of our youth. Many Boomers were harsh critics of Generation X (my generation) in the '80s and the '90s. I promised myself that I would never be like that when I got older, but Millennials make it very hard to keep my promise.  ;)
Gen-Xrs got a bad rap based upon their entirely reasonable cynicism at the world they were handed.

Millennials got ponies and extended basement privileges...you do the math... ::)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »
It helps to have a gaslighting media. Most news anchors sound like gang stalkers.
+1

We're back to the days of "Rosebud"...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2019, 05:41:53 PM »
Gen-Xrs got a bad rap based upon their entirely reasonable cynicism at the world they were handed.

Millennials got ponies and extended basement privileges...you do the math... ::)

We were the Jan Brady generation. It was always Boomers, Boomers, Boomers.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
+1

We're back to the days of "Rosebud"...

Some people claimed that Kane was based on William Randolph Hearst. He would be based on Jeff Bezos in the remake.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
Some people claimed that Kane was based on William Randolph Hearst. He would be based on Jeff Bezos in the remake.
I think more Murdoch. Even Orson couldnt have foreseen Bezos. Though others like Fritz Lang might have. Haha.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
I think more Murdoch. Even Orson couldnt have foreseen Bezos. Though others like Fritz Lang might have. Haha.

I was talking about yellow journalism. The Washington Post has more stains than all of the newspapers in all of the pup mills.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 07:44:35 AM »
1940’s - Big Band music, fashion, old Hollywood
1950’s - Hollywood movies, mid-century modern homes, style, Tiki culture.
1960’s - MUSIC!!!
1970’s - Best decade for rock, also some of the best TV shows, comedy, drama, variety shows
1980’s - Themed restaurants were interesting,  some good music as well, but the introduction of electric drums, synth-everything was a bit excessive and off-putting.
1990’s - Grunge made me miss the 80’s sound!  Went back to listening to 60’s - 80’s music.
2000’s - Indie pop music, especially from SoCal.
You Pick The Decade. You comment on the generation that raised you.
1940’s - Big Band music, fashion, old Hollywood. @Bluejay
Both my parent grew up during The Great Depression.  My mom was one of 8 children. My dad one of 10 children. My mom’s brother served in WWII. My dad and 2 of his brothers severed in WWII. Two of my mom’s brothers died during their childhood. This is also true for my dad’s family. Two of his brothers died before adulthood.
My dad served in US Army Air Corps. He was the flight engineer in the B-24D Liberator in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. He was released from the “army” 19 Oct 1945.
My parents married in 1946.  My brothers and I were born in the 1950’s. My parents enjoyed Big Band music. Mom was a huge Frank Sinatra fan. It took many years for my dad to become a Sinatra fan. Mom loved her Bette Davis movies. Dad had his John Wayne movies. Dad never talked about WWII. Not only did dad love cowboy, gangster but also WWII movies. The first drive in movie I saw was “The Longest Day” with my dad and my brothers. Mom did not want to see this movie.
I was raised with the music from the 40’s-Big Bands and singers from the 50’s. As for “fashion”, our family did not have fashion. My mom had a few aprons. However, mom always had great hair styles. Growing up, I believed that we had money. However, that was not the reality. There were times, my mom would cry if the song “God Bless America” was played on the radio.  As a child I did not understand why mom would cry. Now I understand.
Shortly before my dad’s passing over he talked to one of my brothers about his experience as a flight engineer during WWII.  About 5 years ago, I took a “ride” in a Consolidated B-24J Liberator (Collings Foundation). A B-24 is huge on the outside, narrow on the inside, hardly any room for humans. The sound of those 4 engines starting up was powerful. The fumes and the wind assaulted your senses. I never appreciated my dad’s bravery, until after my flight in the Liberator. I never knew when dad said “we are riding on fumes” to us as kids, that he actually experienced riding on fumes.
I appreciate the music from the 40’s and 50’s and female hair styles from the 40’s. I love movies from old Hollywood. To say that I had a great childhood would be an understatement.
Photo of one my dad’s technical drawing of the B-24D.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
@FISH
My father also flew in a B-24. A few years before he passed on we went to the 8th Air Force museum in Savannah where they have a setup that simulates a bombing run. They various video screens, a huge fan to blow wind, and speakers to simulate the noise. My father said it was fairly realistic.  If you’re ever down this way, you might want to pop in.
Merry Christmas

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
Funny old thing how history prefers rhymes over actual repeats, innit?

Bezos' Rosebud ain't all that spiffy, imo.

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
You Pick The Decade. You comment on the generation that raised you.
1940’s - Big Band music, fashion, old Hollywood. @Bluejay
Both my parent grew up during The Great Depression.  My mom was one of 8 children. My dad one of 10 children. My mom’s brother served in WWII. My dad and 2 of his brothers severed in WWII. Two of my mom’s brothers died during their childhood. This is also true for my dad’s family. Two of his brothers died before adulthood.
My dad served in US Army Air Corps. He was the flight engineer in the B-24D Liberator in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. He was released from the “army” 19 Oct 1945.
My parents married in 1946.  My brothers and I were born in the 1950’s. My parents enjoyed Big Band music. Mom was a huge Frank Sinatra fan. It took many years for my dad to become a Sinatra fan. Mom loved her Bette Davis movies. Dad had his John Wayne movies. Dad never talked about WWII. Not only did dad love cowboy, gangster but also WWII movies. The first drive in movie I saw was “The Longest Day” with my dad and my brothers. Mom did not want to see this movie.
I was raised with the music from the 40’s-Big Bands and singers from the 50’s. As for “fashion”, our family did not have fashion. My mom had a few aprons. However, mom always had great hair styles. Growing up, I believed that we had money. However, that was not the reality. There were times, my mom would cry if the song “God Bless America” was played on the radio.  As a child I did not understand why mom would cry. Now I understand.
Shortly before my dad’s passing over he talked to one of my brothers about his experience as a flight engineer during WWII.  About 5 years ago, I took a “ride” in a Consolidated B-24J Liberator (Collings Foundation). A B-24 is huge on the outside, narrow on the inside, hardly any room for humans. The sound of those 4 engines starting up was powerful. The fumes and the wind assaulted your senses. I never appreciated my dad’s bravery, until after my flight in the Liberator. I never knew when dad said “we are riding on fumes” to us as kids, that he actually experienced riding on fumes.
I appreciate the music from the 40’s and 50’s and female hair styles from the 40’s. I love movies from old Hollywood. To say that I had a great childhood would be an understatement.
Photo of one my dad’s technical drawing of the B-24D.
Wonderful memories.  Thanks for sharing with us!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
I was talking about yellow journalism. The Washington Post has more stains than all of the newspapers in all of the pup mills.
Amen.