Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 25401 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
@FISH
My father also flew in a B-24. A few years before he passed on we went to the 8th Air Force museum in Savannah where they have a setup that simulates a bombing run. They various video screens, a huge fan to blow wind, and speakers to simulate the noise. My father said it was fairly realistic.  If you’re ever down this way, you might want to pop in.
Greetings @juan . I thank your father for his Service. While in New Orleans, my son took his family to visit The National WWII Museum. He "looked up" the history of his grandfather. My father served in the 307th Bomb Group of the 13th Air Force. I have been to Savannah a few times for it's St Patrick Day celebration/parade. Haunting City. I was not aware of the 8th Air Force museum. I can only imagine how this experience was for you and your father.  Did this experience capture the noise, the fumes, the wind, no real seating, the flooring, the cat walk, no bathroom (LOL) and the vulnerability for you? It took real courage to fly in a B-24. Our Veterans make so many sacrifices during a war. If I ever return to Savannah, I will stop over to the museum. 
photo of my seat on a B-24.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »
I was talking about yellow journalism. The Washington Post has more stains than all of the newspapers in all of the pup mills.

Under Graham family it was connected and would cover-up stuff, I mean he was the head of the Federal friggin Reserve prior! His dad was a friggin Meyer and PRESIDENT of Lazard Frères & Co!!! I just figure the Bezos era is taking it to the inevitable conclusion of total melding of private enterprise and banking, news, and government. Wonder where one has seen that before? Wonder why Nixon ranted against certain "elements" back in the day?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
Funny old thing how history prefers rhymes over actual repeats, innit?

Bezos' Rosebud ain't all that spiffy, imo.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:-X

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/25/citizen-kane-rosebud
It circles back to Rosebud: the anti-riddle of the anti-Sphinx. Welles himself playfully claimed that the word was Hearst’s own term for his wife’s genitalia, and so naturally the mogul was annoyed. Another false trail. The murmuring of “Rosebud” is in one way the film’s teasing offer of synecdoche: the part for the whole, the one jigsaw piece that is in fact the whole puzzle. But it isn’t.

Rosebud is more probably Welles’s intuition of the illusory flashback effect of memory that will affect all of us, particularly at the very end of our lives: the awful conviction that childhood memories are better, simpler, more real than adult memories – that childhood memories are the only things which are real. The remembered details of early existence – moments, sensations and images – have an arbitrary poetic authenticity which is a by-product of being detached from the prosaic context and perspective which encumbers adult minds, the rational understanding which would rob them of their mysterious force. We all have around two or three radioactive Rosebud fragments of childhood memory in our minds, which will return on our deathbeds to mock the insubstantial dream of our lives.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
As decades go, I'm not picking this one because:

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 03:57:56 PM »
Funny old thing how history prefers rhymes over actual repeats, innit?

Bezos' Rosebud ain't all that spiffy, imo.

We live in weird times when history won't rhyme. It's more like garbled words from mumble raps.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
Amen.

The New York Times would never print that racist cartoon now. Yet, they're cool with that racist Yellow kid, Sarah Jeong.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
Under Graham family it was connected and would cover-up stuff, I mean he was the head of the Federal friggin Reserve prior! His dad was a friggin Meyer and PRESIDENT of Lazard Frères & Co!!! I just figure the Bezos era is taking it to the inevitable conclusion of total melding of private enterprise and banking, news, and government. Wonder where one has seen that before? Wonder why Nixon ranted against certain "elements" back in the day?

There's no doubt about it. The Grahams were Bilderbergers when the Bilderbergers weren't cool (or known). They definitely were propagandists, but they were at a "5". Jeff turned up the Washington Post to an "11".

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
As decades go, I'm not picking this one because:

A picture is worth a thousand words. I like the dude with the beer-gut in the background cringing as he calls the loony bin and trying to describe whatever those people are in front.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
There's no doubt about it. The Grahams were Bilderbergers when the Bilderbergers weren't cool (or known). They definitely were propagandists, but they were at a "5". Jeff turned up the Washington Post to an "11".

AWS hosts our secret and non-secret data now for the government, in addition to many other websites private and public. Lots of info to data-mine and exploit.

https://www.nextgov.com/it-modernization/2017/11/amazon-web-services-announces-secret-cloud-region-cia/142662/

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »
AWS hosts our secret and non-secret data now for the government, in addition to many other websites private and public. Lots of info to data-mine and exploit.

https://www.nextgov.com/it-modernization/2017/11/amazon-web-services-announces-secret-cloud-region-cia/142662/

This is why I'm a semi-Luddite. I'm the new version of the old Amish, and I shun technology made after 9/11.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »
The New York Times would never print that racist cartoon now. Yet, they're cool with that racist Yellow kid, Sarah Jeong.

Nice catch there! :)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
Nice catch there! :)

That one was even before *my* time. Notice that no PC leftists are bothered by the caricatures and stereotypes of mountain people in Lil' Abner.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
Being a horror movie fanatic and after watching literally decades worth of offerings I will say that hands down the most original story laden best of the best horror films come out of the 70's.  I will add that The Shining was released in 1980 but written and filmed in the 70's so that counts ;)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »
Being a horror movie fanatic and after watching literally decades worth of offerings I will say that hands down the most original story laden best of the best horror films come out of the 70's.  I will add that The Shining was released in 1980 but written and filmed in the 70's so that counts ;)

That was the decade when drama and suspense were stressed more than blood and gore. It also was the time when there were many "devil movies", some of which featured creepy cults that threatened new people in small towns. That seemed to be the plot of more than a few TV movies that featured a roster of where-are-they-now actors. Well, we know where some of them are, thanks to Father Time.