Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 25383 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
A very good list coming from an Official List. I forgot about the movie Ghost Story. Very creepy story. The movie had some great actors-John Houseman, Patricia Neal, Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and Melvyn Douglas. The novel written by Peter Straub was an excellent read.

And Houseman was the intro to The Fog. Maybe it is me but, somehow, certain movies are better at the beginnings. If only the directors could keep that mood going but tend to go to effects or such. The Mist is another example.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
Lots of good made-for-tv movies on the youtube. Funny that some of them are actually "edgy," to use an awful term, to this day, I doubt subjects would be done now due to political correctness, snowflakes, and etc. Obvious quality is lacking but, personally, I don't like perfection in film because seems fake. Funny that now some makers actually try to recreate 'griity' or real film using modern technology.
I wish Hollywood would be done with 'A Star Is Born'.  Lady Gaga's version of the movie A Star Is Born is the fourth adaption of the film. I am taking a guess, no one in Hollywood can find/read a great novel to make a film? How many remakes do we have to endure in our life time?
Back to your comment. Tell me the name of a good movie on YouTube. I am not always fond of perfection in people, movies or music. I enjoy live music because it is not perfect.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
I wish Hollywood would be done with 'A Star Is Born'.  Lady Gaga's version of the movie A Star Is Born is the fourth adaption of the film. I am taking a guess, no one in Hollywood can find/read a great novel to make a film? How many remakes do we have to endure in our life time?
Back to your comment. Tell me the name of a good movie on YouTube. I am not always fond of perfection in people, movies or music. I enjoy live music because it is not perfect.

I can't because it is a matter of taste. But if you do the youtube and search around you will find some of the good old "movies of the week" etc made-for-tv stuff. Some good, some bad. Here is one that is C2C style, sorta.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
I can't because it is a matter of taste. But if you do the youtube and search around you will find some of the good old "movies of the week" etc made-for-tv stuff. Some good, some bad. Here is one that is C2C style, sorta.

OK, thanks. I watch YouTube for documentaries. I never search for movies. Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago, I remember Art Bell saying that airplanes could be haunted. Art Bell had heard many stories about haunted airplanes. He would not share the stories due to possible trouble from airplane manufacturers.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »
OK, thanks. I watch YouTube for documentaries. I never search for movies. Thanks for the suggestion. Years ago, I remember Art Bell saying that airplanes could be haunted. Art Bell had heard many stories about haunted airplanes. He would not share the stories due to possible trouble from airplane manufacturers.

If you look around it was a "thing." And parts of old planes being recycled, even post accident, and apparent haunting or bad luck.  Of course also hampered by "fake" parts which is also an issue, or was, hopefully.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
Top Ten Ghost Movies:
.The Haunting
.The Innocents
.Poltergeist
.The Shining
.The Changeling
.Ghost Story
.The Others
.The Ring
.The Fog
.The Legend Of Hell House

This is the official list from the Department Of Official Lists in Washington, so it's not just my personal, subjective opinion.

I would attach a rider to that playbill:

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »
I would attach a rider to that playbill:

I thought about that one when I made my list. "The Legend Of Hell House" could be replaced by it since I wasn't definitely sure about that choice. I thought about "The Haunting Of Hull House" and "The Uninvited" too. Ditto for some Generation Z flicks that those darn kids, on my lawn, like.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »
A very good list coming from an Official List. I forgot about the movie Ghost Story. Very creepy story. The movie had some great actors-John Houseman, Patricia Neal, Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and Melvyn Douglas. The novel written by Peter Straub was an excellent read.

Even the books were better back then. I thought that the movie and TV adaptations of "The Shining" and "The Stand", respectively, weren't as thrilling as the book versions, but they were great just the same. It's almost impossible to include all of the things in books without doing "War And Peace". The chilling Casper, The Friendly Ghost film series show this as the screen versions weren't as horrifying as the original cartoons, as well as the Harvey comic books, works that are in the horror canon along with Poe, Shelley, Stoker, etc..

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »
Even the books were better back then. I thought that the movie and TV adaptations of "The Shining" and "The Stand", respectively, weren't as thrilling as the book versions, but they were great just the same. It's almost impossible to include all of the things in books without doing "War And Peace". The chilling Casper, The Friendly Ghost film series show this as the screen versions weren't as horrifying as the original cartoons, as well as the Harvey comic books, works that are in the horror canon along with Poe, Shelley, Stoker, etc..

I swear a cheap paperback copy of Shirley's work had this on cover. And also a good movie but, unrelated. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
I swear a cheap paperback copy of Shirley's work had this on cover. And also a good movie but, unrelated. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ah, she's showing just one eye. My Illuminati detector just beeped.  ;)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2019, 06:06:54 PM »
Not a great film, but FF Coppola cred:

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »
Ah, she's showing just one eye. My Illuminati detector just beeped.  ;)

They tell what they do. Good eye. And one eye peeled. Out for now, said Oscar party. Excuse for booze.....maybe mayhem if I can rile neighbors to such.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2019, 06:10:38 PM »
They tell what they do. Good eye. And one eye peeled. Out for now, said Oscar party. Excuse for booze.....maybe mayhem if I can rile neighbors to such.

I'm watching it because I'm in a masochistic mood. It's more SJW than "Eyes Wide Shut" so far.

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »

After having read the book, The Godfather is the only novel adapted for film that I didn't find disappointing.  While some interesting characters and their stories were left out or given short shrift the film was true to the novel in terms of the basic storyline, it's portrayal of the central characters and it's description of the criminal activities of La Cosa Nostra, it's organization and its methods.  Some of what was left out of God Father I was included in God Father II which also did justice to Mario Puzo's novel and is the best sequel that I have seen. Godfather III did not measure up to I and II IMHO.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »
If you look around it was a "thing." And parts of old planes being recycled, even post accident, and apparent haunting or bad luck.  Of course also hampered by "fake" parts which is also an issue, or was, hopefully.
Last night I watched The Ghost of The Ghost of Flight 401 (TV 1978) and some of the documentaries on Flight 401. I enjoyed this little movie. Perhaps flight 401 haunting is the most extraordinary and credible research ever documented.  By chance, a friend who has a home in Florida stopped over. He was very interested in this ghost phenomenon. He noted that there are several mysterious incidents in the swamps of Florida. Thank you for sharing this story not only for my interest but also my Floridian friend's interest.