Author Topic: You Pick The Decade(s)  (Read 25388 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: You Pick The Decade(s)
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2019, 06:28:53 AM »
I would attach a rider to that playbill:

William Castle's "Emergo".
A skeleton with red lighted eye sockets attached to wire floated over the audience in the final moments of some showings of the film.
A good read.
http://morbidlybeautiful.com/eerie-essentials-house-on-haunted-hill/

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2019, 07:13:11 AM »
Even the books were better back then. I thought that the movie and TV adaptations of "The Shining" and "The Stand", respectively, weren't as thrilling as the book versions, but they were great just the same. It's almost impossible to include all of the things in books without doing "War And Peace". The chilling Casper, The Friendly Ghost film series show this as the screen versions weren't as horrifying as the original cartoons, as well as the Harvey comic books, works that are in the horror canon along with Poe, Shelley, Stoker, etc..
As I age, I read less novels. Yet, a scary novel was great fun but very time consuming. What can I say about Stephen King that has not been said?
I never read Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby (1967). Levin also wrote The Boys from Brazil (1976).
William Castle had crossed the producer/director's "Rubicon” with Rosemary's Baby (1968). They say William Castle became  sick with worry from the hate mail he received constantly regarding this film, Rosemary's Baby. Strange how so many horror movies end up with a "curse". Truth or Trash?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tingler
William Castle was famous for his movie gimmicks, and The Tingler featured one of his best: "Percepto!". Previously, he had offered a $1,000 life insurance policy against "Death by Fright" for Macabre (1958) and sent a skeleton flying above the audiences' heads in the auditorium in House on Haunted Hill (1959).

Percepto: "Scream for your lives!"[edit]
"Percepto!" was a gimmick where Castle attached electrical "buzzers" to the underside of some seats in theaters where The Tingler was screened.[8] The buzzers were small surplus airplane wing deicing motors left from World War II. The cost of this equipment added $250,000 to the film's budget. It was used predominantly in larger theaters.

During the climax of the film, The Tingler was unleashed in the movie theater, while the audience watched Tol'able David (1921), in which a young woman escapes the unwanted advances of her boyfriend and is targeted. In the real-life theater, a woman screamed and then pretended to faint; she was then taken away in a stretcher, all part of the show arranged by Castle.[6] From the screen, the voice of Price mentioned the fainted lady and asked the rest of the audience to remain seated. The film-within-a-film resumed and was interrupted again. The projected film appeared to break as the silhouette of the tingler moved across the projection beam. The image of the film went dark, all lights in the auditorium (except fire exit signs) went off, and Price's voice warned the audience, "Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But scream! Scream for your lives! The tingler is loose in this theater!"[9] This cued the theater projectionist to activate the Percepto! buzzers, giving some audience members an unexpected jolt, followed by a highly visible physical reaction. The voices of scared patrons were heard from the screen, replaced by the voice of Price, who explained that the tingler was paralyzed and the danger was over. At this point, the film resumed its normal format, which was used for its epilogue.[6]

An alternate warning was recorded for drive-in theaters; this warning advised the audience the tingler was loose in the drive-in. Castle's voice was substituted for Price's in this version.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »
After having read the book, The Godfather is the only novel adapted for film that I didn't find disappointing.  While some interesting characters and their stories were left out or given short shrift the film was true to the novel in terms of the basic storyline, it's portrayal of the central characters and it's description of the criminal activities of La Cosa Nostra, it's organization and its methods.  Some of what was left out of God Father I was included in God Father II which also did justice to Mario Puzo's novel and is the best sequel that I have seen. Godfather III did not measure up to I and II IMHO.

"The Godfather" and "Star Wars" are my favorite films. "The Godfather II" is right up there. "The Godfather III" may be the most important one. I say that because it features references to one of the biggest conspiracy theories, as well as one of the biggest papal scandals. Some people believe that Pope John Paul I was murdered. It's a fact that Italian Freemasons and the Vatican Bank committed crimes. The third installment deals with all of that, and some individuals speculate that the third prophecy of the miracle of Fatima does too. Here comes Albrecht in one, two, three,....  ;)

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2019, 04:06:07 PM »
As I age, I read less novels. Yet, a scary novel was great fun but very time consuming. What can I say about Stephen King that has not been said?
I never read Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby (1967). Levin also wrote The Boys from Brazil (1976).
William Castle had crossed the producer/director's "Rubicon” with Rosemary's Baby (1968). They say William Castle became  sick with worry from the hate mail he received constantly regarding this film, Rosemary's Baby. Strange how so many horror movies end up with a "curse". Truth or Trash?

I didn't know that Levin wrote "The Boys From Brazil". In any event, I think that there's some truth to the trash. There may or may not be a curse, but Polanski directed the film. We all know what happened to his wife at the time, Sharon Tate. Then, there's the story that Anton Lavey played the devil in the movie. The Manson cult and the Process Church Of The Final Judgment have links. The latter is "linked to Satan". Kevin Bacon might be in there somewhere too.  ;)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2019, 04:37:46 PM »
"The Godfather" and "Star Wars" are my favorite films. "The Godfather II" is right up there. "The Godfather III" may be the most important one. I say that because it features references to one of the biggest conspiracy theories, as well as one of the biggest papal scandals. Some people believe that Pope John Paul I was murdered. It's a fact that Italian Freemasons and the Vatican Bank committed crimes. The third installment deals with all of that, and some individuals speculate that the third prophecy of the miracle of Fatima does too. Here comes Albrecht in one, two, three,....  ;)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »
Last night I watched The Ghost of The Ghost of Flight 401 (TV 1978) and some of the documentaries on Flight 401. I enjoyed this little movie. Perhaps flight 401 haunting is the most extraordinary and credible research ever documented.  By chance, a friend who has a home in Florida stopped over. He was very interested in this ghost phenomenon. He noted that there are several mysterious incidents in the swamps of Florida. Thank you for sharing this story not only for my interest but also my Floridian friend's interest.

Glad you liked it. The crash is still controversial aside from the rumors of haunted parts.

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »

I knew that I could count on you. Let's remember the "Illuminati" Agnelli family too.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »
Music of each decade ranked in order, best to worst:

1970s
1960s
1950s
1940s
1930s
1920s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »

1970s
1960s
1950s
1940s
1930s
1920s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s

I will tread lightly around you. It's just a matter of time before you tell me to get off your lawn.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »

1970s
1960s
1950s
1940s
1930s
1920s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s

I'd have to demur on your ranking of the 80s and 90s - but the 00s and 10s deserve the cellar.

1970s
1960s
1980s
1990s
1950s
1940s
1930s
1920s
2000s
2010s

Nucky Nolan

• Ellevated
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »
I'd have to demur on your ranking of the 80s and 90s - but the 00s and 10s deserve the cellar.

1970s
1960s
1980s
1990s
1950s
1940s
1930s
1920s
2000s
2010s

The '60s are first in fashion (the "Mad Men" era). The '70s are first in films. The '80s are first in music (combination of all genres), and the '90s are first in network TV shows. The 2010s are first in insanity and nervous breakdowns.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
I'd have to demur on your ranking of the 80s and 90s - but the 00s and 10s deserve the cellar...

It's funny that people growing up in the 80s are stunned to find out the rest of us think the music of that era was inferior.

Let's face it, A LOT of it was boring, derivative, schmaltzy, or just plain terrible.  One difference is music used to be meaningful, or at least interesting and fun to listen to - from the 80s on for the most part it's just something to have on in the background.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:27 AM »
I have to give the 80s rock its due - not that it was all the prior decades' creative outburst was, but it was darned good - this from a creaky old boomer, so onward! ;)