Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 39146 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2020, 07:57:11 AM »
A Jimmy Johns opened on my island a couple of weeks ago. I’d never had one of their sandwiches, so I tried one a couple of days ago. Not bad is about as good as I can say for it. Maybe a little better than Subway, though more expensive. Not as good as Larry’s Giant Subs. We’ll see if it lasts. Chain restaurants, other than McDonald’s, Chic-Fil-A and Waffle House don’t do well here. The small, locally owned restaurants thrive.
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
Well, I went out to lunch yesterday. I ordered a turkey club, GS's image still fresh in my mind. The advanced soup was good, but the actual sand was sub par. It did not look like the image GS posted. Though toasted, the bread was not fresh and my poor teeth were not able to win the war with the crust. The sandwhich was dry and ill proportioned. My lunchmate had requested extra mayo for her sand, had some left over and I was able to try to combat the dryness. The mayo was thin and slightly oily, there just was no way to rescue the poor thing.
One star, and it is just for the soup.
Oh, so sorry for sub par club @anniem . :'(
I went out with for lunch yesterday. I ordered the Jumbo Lump Crab Cake,  coleslaw w/ fresh cut fries…+1.
My 2 friends ordered "Sunrise Burger" with a fried egg, bacon, cheddar w/ fresh cut fries.…+1.
The Crème brûlée and coffee was outstandingly wonderful.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »
During World War I, Italian immigrants who worked at the Hog Island shipyard began making sandwiches. They were originally called “hoggies” before the name hoagie took hold.

@FISH   Interesting. I did not know that.  I'm originally from Pittsburgh and there was a variation of every sandwich imaginable from so many different establishments.  Every neighborhood had their own.  Each neighborhood had it's own ethnic flavor.  Plenty of places downtown, and in a section called The Strip District.  Alas, like a lot of cities, these neighborhood joints have gone by the way side and there are too many "trendy" places popping up.  Oh well.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
I went out with for lunch yesterday. I ordered the Jumbo Lump Crab Cake,  coleslaw w/ fresh cut fries…+1.
My 2 friends ordered "Sunrise Burger" with a fried egg, bacon, cheddar w/ fresh cut fries.…+1.

@FISH   ???  That seems like stuff hipsters would eat.  ;)  ;D

I'm just kidding!  :D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
A Jimmy Johns opened on my island a couple of weeks ago. I’d never had one of their sandwiches, so I tried one a couple of days ago. Not bad is about as good as I can say for it. Maybe a little better than Subway, though more expensive.

I never tried Jimmy Johns.  There are a few around here.  I will say that I think Subway is garbage.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2020, 08:11:17 AM »
They both have served me well.

Don't confuse the two
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »
A Jimmy Johns opened on my island a couple of weeks ago. I’d never had one of their sandwiches, so I tried one a couple of days ago. Not bad is about as good as I can say for it. Maybe a little better than Subway, though more expensive. Not as good as Larry’s Giant Subs. We’ll see if it lasts. Chain restaurants, other than McDonald’s, Chic-Fil-A and Waffle House don’t do well here. The small, locally owned restaurants thrive.
I still think of a sandwich as type of lunch food. You should take it to work or school  A sandwich is to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. If it is raining hard, you may call and asked to have your hoagie delivered to your home.  It is perfectly normal to eat a BLT in a restaurant. But expect to be disappointed.
I would be laughed out of the store If I asked for a "Submarine sandwich."
 Subway sucks.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2020, 08:13:48 AM »
Well, I went out to lunch yesterday. I ordered a turkey club, GS's image still fresh in my mind. The advanced soup was good, but the actual sand was sub par. It did not look like the image GS posted. Though toasted, the bread was not fresh and my poor teeth were not able to win the war with the crust. The sandwhich was dry and ill proportioned. My lunchmate had requested extra mayo for her sand, had some left over and I was able to try to combat the dryness. The mayo was thin and slightly oily, there just was no way to rescue the poor thing.
One star, and it is just for the soup.

@anniem  You should've sent it back and given them the "what for!"  ;D  It is truly a bummer to sit down with the hopes of enjoying a nice lunch and then it's crap.  :P

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
@FISH   ???  That seems like stuff hipsters would eat.  ;)  ;D

I'm just kidding!  :D
I have a friend who will order a "meatloaf sandwich" with a fried egg on top of the meat loaf.
She is not a hipster, just weird.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2020, 08:24:26 AM »
I used to get consistent ones at a long ago truck stop.  Except I had to put up with the waitress's same, monotonous joke.  She would come to the table and show me a rounded chunk of highly varnished wood and say, "Here's your club."

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

I obviously went to the wrong restaurant!

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
@anniem  You should've sent it back and given them the "what for!"  ;D  It is truly a bummer to sit down with the hopes of enjoying a nice lunch and then it's crap.  :P

A friend of mine had a brother who was a chef for a famous musician. He warned us to never ever return food. Plus, a switcharoo after delivery would through off the timing of the visit.

There is a very important function served by such a meal. It can serve as a comparison to other meals and allowing me to appreciate anything not a nasty club all the more.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Funny, and I don't know why!

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2020, 08:36:23 AM »
Funny, and I don't know why!
We both like funny.
I don't know why these two are so funny.