Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 39142 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2020, 05:41:37 PM »
This recipe is for "myeongdong" (명동) which is a type of street food sold in Korea.  There are many variations, some quite elaborate.  The one that I am presenting here is a good starter recipe.  It can be cooked very quickly (within a couple of minutes), it's tasty, and very filling.  Good breakfast sandwich, drunk food, or something when you want to impress the wife/gf but don't want to put that much effort into it.

If you make it on a grill, you can assembly-line it and bang out food for the group within minutes.  However, a large skillet will also work.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Heat up your pan to medium-high.  Melt some butter and toast one side of two pieces of bread.  Set aside.

Melt some more butter.  Beat one egg with some roughly-chopped cabbage and pour out onto the pan.

Cover the egg mixture with cheese.  I prefer cheddar, because it compliments the taste of the Spam that I use for the meat.

Now top with meat, sliced as shown.  I prefer Spam, though one could use ham or mystery meat.  Whatever suits you.  I use about 1/4 of a can of Spam, to give you some idea about the quantity.  Slicing it that way allows it to cook faster.

When the agg is browned to your satisfaction, pick up the assembly with a spatula, melt a little more butter, and flip.

While cooking the meat side, you will want to press down with the spatula a few times to compress everything and ensure that the middle is well-cooked.

Flip again and put on the condiments.  The guy in this picture uses mustard and ketchup.  I prefer gochujang, which you can find in the Asian section of your supermarket, or an Asian market; and Sriracha mayo (I make my own by mixing a 1:1 ratio of each).  Whatever you use, if you are applying it with a knife, put it on the bread slices.

Set up your bread slices, untoasted side up.  Pick up the assembly and slide it onto one slice, then cover with the other.

Grasp it firmly in your hand (the sandwich you pervert).  Your nipples should be able to cut glass at this point.  Enjoy.

That looks quite great! Thanks for posting.

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
This recipe is for "myeongdong" (명동) which is a type of street food sold in Korea.  There are many variations, some quite elaborate.  The one that I am presenting here is a good starter recipe.  It can be cooked very quickly (within a couple of minutes), it's tasty, and very filling.  Good breakfast sandwich, drunk food, or something when you want to impress the wife/gf but don't want to put that much effort into it.

If you make it on a grill, you can assembly-line it and bang out food for the group within minutes.  However, a large skillet will also work.

Heat up your pan to medium-high.  Melt some butter and toast one side of two pieces of bread.  Set aside.

Melt some more butter.  Beat one egg with some roughly-chopped cabbage and pour out onto the pan.

Cover the egg mixture with cheese.  I prefer cheddar, because it compliments the taste of the Spam that I use for the meat.

Now top with meat, sliced as shown.  I prefer Spam, though one could use ham or mystery meat.  Whatever suits you.  I use about 1/4 of a can of Spam, to give you some idea about the quantity.  Slicing it that way allows it to cook faster.

When the agg is browned to your satisfaction, pick up the assembly with a spatula, melt a little more butter, and flip.

While cooking the meat side, you will want to press down with the spatula a few times to compress everything and ensure that the middle is well-cooked.

Flip again and put on the condiments.  The guy in this picture uses mustard and ketchup.  I prefer gochujang, which you can find in the Asian section of your supermarket, or an Asian market; and Sriracha mayo (I make my own by mixing a 1:1 ratio of each).  Whatever you use, if you are applying it with a knife, put it on the bread slices.

Set up your bread slices, untoasted side up.  Pick up the assembly and slide it onto one slice, then cover with the other.

Grasp it firmly in your hand (the sandwich you pervert).  Your nipples should be able to cut glass at this point.  Enjoy.

Shit Howdy!  Imma gonna make this soon.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. @HamsterMuscle   I will give that a try one day.  I'll go with the Sriracha mayo as the condiment (always have Huy Fong brand Sriracha on hand) and substitute the Spam because....

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. @HamsterMuscle   I will give that a try one day.  I'll go with the Sriracha mayo as the condiment (always have Huy Fong brand Sriracha on hand) and substitute the Spam because....

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
    • The George Senda Music Video
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »

I've used Prem, ham, and various canned mystery-meats.  All have their charms.  I also tried Spam turkey and that worked well; that is another option.  I suppose that cooked chicken might work as well.

I'll post another one when I have time.

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients

2 slices bacon
2 slices sourdough bread
1 tablespoon butter, room temp
1/2 cup jack pepper and cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons guacamole, room temp
1 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled (optional)

Directions

1.  Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.

2.  Butter one side of each slice of bread.

3.  Sprinkle half of the cheese onto the non-buttered side of one slice of bread, followed by the guacamole, bacon, tortilla chips if desired, the remaining cheese, and finally top with the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.

4.  Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients

1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken, warm (I use roasted chicken like you get at Costco)
1 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank's Chicken Wing sauce is ideal)
1/2 tablespoon mayo (optional)
1 tablespoon carrot, grated
1 tablespoon celery, sliced
1 tablespoon green or red onion, sliced or diced
1 tablespoon blue cheese, room temperature, crumbled
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, room temperature, grated
2 slices bread
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature

Directions

1.  Mix the chicken, hot sauce, mayo, carrot, celery and onion in a small bowl.

2.  Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheeses on the inside (non-buttered side) of one slice of bread, top with the buffalo chicken salad, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread, butter side out.

3.  Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.

4.  Add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.

nooryisawesome

• Elluminati
  • dont like it, watch another channel and go to hell
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
I saw a video the other day of a guy using mayo instead of butter to make his grilled cheese.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2020, 01:43:48 PM »
I saw a video the other day of a guy using mayo instead of butter to make his grilled cheese.

I've seen that being done too.  Not sure how I feel about it.  I think I'll stick with butter.

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »

I've seen some online conversations between grilled cheese sandwich "purists" and others who are more casual.  The purists really get worked up if someone deviates from the Holy Formula of bread and cheese. 

For me, it's kind of like saying that you can only have sex in the missionary position in bed at night with a certain range of pump cycles.  If that's your thing, fine, but I'm inclined to do what pleases me.  Same thing goes for sandwiches.  Both of the recipes above are labeled "grilled cheese" because I find that phrase to have some descriptive value.  But if a purist saw it, I would be burned at the stake.

As to butter or mayo, I feel about mayo like I do about ketchup: if you overdo it, then you mask the taste of the underlying food.  Someone that uses ketchup in place of butter probably just wants to taste mayo, and the sandwich serves as a water cracker for it.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2020, 05:27:17 PM »
Someone that uses ketchup in place of butter probably just wants to taste mayo, and the sandwich serves as a water cracker for it.

This confuses me.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
This confuses me.

This won't help, but what the heck.

HamsterMuscle

• Ellightened
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
This confuses me.

Hahahahaha oopsie daisy!

Someone who uses mayo in place of butter probably just wants to taste mayo etc.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2020, 04:53:22 AM »
Mayo is interesting. One of the charter fishing captains in Jacksonville is a CIA graduate chef.  He ran restaurant and hotel kitchens until he decided he’d rather be outside on a boat.  Anyway, he frequently uses a thin film of mayo on fish and meats as a way to get the natural oils of the meat to combine with  spices and sauces.  I wonder if mayo would have a similar effect with cheese.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »

For me, it's kind of like saying that you can only have sex in the missionary position in bed at night with a certain range of pump cycles.  If that's your thing, fine, but I'm inclined to do what pleases me. 
Hamster, please. This is a sandwich thread, let's clean rein in the dialogue a little and keep the pee pee's and wee wee's out of it.

PUMPING CYCLES?

I am not supossed to be posting after 5000 and now you've broken that. Thanks ???