Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 39124 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #360 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
Saturday morning I made for the first time Monte Cristo (croques messieurs) sandwiches for me and Other Robert here.  Came up a little short on egg, and I baked them instead of frying, with sliced potato.  Ham, Swiss cheese, yellow onion rings, and Grey Poupon on the sandwiches before cooking.  Only the bread (white) was dipped in egg-milk mixture, and 2 large eggs still wasn't quite enough for 2 sandwiches.

I've read online that some make Monte Cristos with powdered sugar on the bread, like breakfast French toast.  Blech!  Sometimes sweet stuff could go OK with ham, but seems to me that'd be a bad taste with Swiss cheese.

Getting fancy there. @Robert  Where's mine?  ;)  I'm not a fan of Monte Cristos either.  :P  I like your adaptation of the Croque Monsieur.  :)  Well done sir!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
I have to make @FISH her sandwich.  This one was tough for me and I'm not sure if I made the right call.  Regardless, here it is:

Let's start with some Irish soda bread.  I noticed a small loaf in my local grocer that piqued my interest.  It was about 6 inches in diameter, like a large roll.

The meat will be ribeye.  A nice 12 ounce boneless ribeye.  Season it with coarse salt.  Mince 2 small shallots.  Chop...yes, roughly chop 4 small Cremini mushrooms into small pieces.  Then coat the steak in the onions and mushrooms.  Grab a meat mallet and beat the hell out of it.  (Make sure this is done on a cutting board or butcher's block)  Then fold the steak in half and beat the hell out of it again.  That's two fists (beats) of hate!  ;)  The shallots and 'shrooms should be fused to the meat.

Heat a pan/skillet to high.  HIGH HEAT!  Toss the steak in and any remaining bits of shallots and 'shrooms.  Use a heavy duty metal spatula or similar utensil to chop this up into shreds. (cheesesteak style)  As it begins to brown add 1 cup of Smithwick’s Irish Red beer.  Bring to a simmer and your favorite sharp cheddar cheese.  A small handful will do nicely.  Remove from heat when most of the beer is gone. 

Slice the Irish soda bread horizontally (in it's bun form) and slather a thin layer of wholegrain mustard on one half and butter on the other.  Don't doubt ShayP!
Pile the meat mixture on the bottom bun and top it off.  Press it down and let that soda bread suck it up.  :D

There will be plenty of juices that soak into the soda bread and keep it moist while maintaining it's firm texture...and the bread will.  The ribeye blend and cheese fill the sandwich and the butter and mustard will accent it.  The beer added to the meat upon cooking gives it an element that works with the other flavors.  There will be a bold richness and texture to the sandwich. Those components all meld together once the sandwich is formed and after a bite you would understand.  All of the flavors should be compatible and the "greasiness", for lack of a better term, should transform the sandwich into a savory, juicy, delight.   The butter and mustard do add a flavor profile that brings it all together. ;) ...Oh, it accents the beer as well.  All pieces to a puzzle my friends.  :D

Cheers!  :)

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #362 on: October 14, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
I have to make @FISH her sandwich.  This one was tough for me and I'm not sure if I made the right call.  Regardless, here it is:

Let's start with some Irish soda bread.  I noticed a small loaf in my local grocer that piqued my interest.  It was about 6 inches in diameter, like a large roll.

The meat will be ribeye.  A nice 12 ounce boneless ribeye.  Season it with coarse salt.  Mince 2 small shallots.  Chop...yes, roughly chop 4 small Cremini mushrooms into small pieces.  Then coat the steak in the onions and mushrooms.  Grab a meat mallet and beat the hell out of it.  (Make sure this is done on a cutting board or butcher's block)  Then fold the steak in half and beat the hell out of it again.  That's two fists (beats) of hate!  ;)  The shallots and 'shrooms should be fused to the meat.

Heat a pan/skillet to high.  HIGH HEAT!  Toss the steak in and any remaining bits of shallots and 'shrooms.  Use a heavy duty metal spatula or similar utensil to chop this up into shreds. (cheesesteak style)  As it begins to brown add 1 cup of Smithwick’s Irish Red beer.  Bring to a simmer and your favorite sharp cheddar cheese.  A small handful will do nicely.  Remove from heat when most of the beer is gone. 

Slice the Irish soda bread horizontally (in it's bun form) and slather a thin layer of wholegrain mustard on one half and butter on the other.  Don't doubt ShayP!
Pile the meat mixture on the bottom bun and top it off.  Press it down and let that soda bread suck it up.  :D

There will be plenty of juices that soak into the soda bread and keep it moist while maintaining it's firm texture...and the bread will.  The ribeye blend and cheese fill the sandwich and the butter and mustard will accent it.  The beer added to the meat upon cooking gives it an element that works with the other flavors.  There will be a bold richness and texture to the sandwich. Those components all meld together once the sandwich is formed and after a bite you would understand.  All of the flavors should be compatible and the "greasiness", for lack of a better term, should transform the sandwich into a savory, juicy, delight.   The butter and mustard do add a flavor profile that brings it all together. ;) ...Oh, it accents the beer as well.  All pieces to a puzzle my friends.  :D

Oh THAT SOUNDS SO GOOD! I hope @FISH makes extra!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »

Hell yeah it does.  I don't even know what a cremini mushroom is but I was sold at the rib-eye being pounded and the coarse salt.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
Can haggis be sliced and put between slices of toast?
Merry Christmas

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #365 on: October 14, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

The meat will be ribeye....<snip>

@ShayP --you are a swell person. Thank you. This sandwich is DEEP.

“Ideas are like fish. If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you've got to go deeper," says David Lynch.

I will share the Cremini mushrooms. I do not eat anything from the 5h KINGDOM-fungi. I will share the sharp cheddar cheese. I do not eat beef with cheese. No, I am not kosher. With that being noted. I have never eaten a cheese burger or a cheese steak in life. And that says something since I live in Philadelphia PA. I am a blue rose ginger.  ;)
My favorite sandwich is bread and butter.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #366 on: October 14, 2020, 04:48:04 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@Ciardelo I enjoyed viewing your art work.  ;)
You may have my sharp cheddar cheese and Cremini mushrooms,  :D

Ciardelo

• Elluminati
  • Fame, it's not just for breakfast anymore
« Reply #367 on: October 14, 2020, 04:51:49 PM »
@Ciardelo I enjoyed viewing your art work.  ;)
You may have my sharp cheddar cheese and Cremini mushrooms,  :D

Aw, thank you @FISH!

I do have to disabuse you of the notion that I made that. Somewhere "out there" on the internet the cosmos knew you would need that picture some day, and left it for me to find.  ;D

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
Aw, thank you @FISH!

I do have to disabuse you of the notion that I made that. Somewhere "out there" on the internet the cosmos knew you would need that picture some day, and left it for me to find.  ;D
My thanks to the Universe.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #369 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »

For you, I will do that.  ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #370 on: October 14, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
@ShayP --you are a swell person. Thank you. This sandwich is DEEP.

“Ideas are like fish. If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you've got to go deeper," says David Lynch.

I will share the Cremini mushrooms. I do not eat anything from the 5h KINGDOM-fungi. I will share the sharp cheddar cheese. I do not eat beef with cheese. No, I am not kosher. With that being noted. I have never eaten a cheese burger or a cheese steak in life. And that says something since I live in Philadelphia PA. I am a blue rose ginger.  ;)
My favorite sandwich is bread and butter.

Well crap.  :-\  @FISH   I shoulda went with cold cuts!  ;)  Ya know, I recall something about you not eating beef with cheese from an earlier post.  I dunno.

I wanted to put something out there for ya.  Can't satisfy every customer.  Trust me, I know.  I was thinking about you though.  :-*

Maybe one of your brothers would eat it.   :D

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #371 on: October 14, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
Well crap.  :-\  @FISH   I shoulda went with cold cuts!  ;)  Ya know, I recall something about you not eating beef with cheese from an earlier post.  I dunno.

I wanted to put something out there for ya.  Can't satisfy every customer.  Trust me, I know.  I was thinking about you though.  :-*

Maybe one of your brothers would eat it.   :D
I am very thankful for our friendship @ShayP .
I am the type of person that goes to a top hot restaurant. And all I want to do is eat the hot rolls and butter and drink coffee.
While visiting to Ireland, I would steal the extra brown bread from the table and hide it in my pockets.  :o

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #372 on: October 14, 2020, 09:45:37 PM »

Hmmmm....intriguing
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #373 on: October 14, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
Hell yeah it does.  I don't even know what a cremini mushroom is but I was sold at the rib-eye being pounded and the coarse salt.
Walks! Plz tell me you’re joking!!! ;D
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #374 on: October 14, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
No
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,