Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 64504 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
When I was a kid, looking at the Expos hats on my baseball cards, I couldn't figure out what the logo was.

I finally decided it said Elk - the 'e' and 'l' seemed somewhat clear, the third letter must be a 'k' - but that never made any sense.  Years later someone said the logo was a three colored 'M'.  Um, ok.  It's the land of hockey, what do they know.

Le Grande Orange

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »
When the Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson out of the Negro Leagues, he played a year in their minor league system for the Montreal Royals before moving up to the big club. 

At Montreal that year, he won the batting title, led the league in runs scored, and the team won the championship

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
When the Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson out of the Negro Leagues, he played a year in their minor league system for the Montreal Royals before moving up to the big club

Jubilant fans hugged and kissed Robinson, chanting “Il a gagné ses épaulettes” and hoisting him on their shoulders. When he had to leave to catch a plane, the crowd followed him, prompting sports reporter Sam Maltin to remark that it was “probably the only day in history that a Black man ran from a white mob with love instead of lynching in its mind.”

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »
When I was a kid, looking at the Expos hats on my baseball cards, I couldn't figure out what the logo was.

I finally decided it said Elk - the 'e' and 'l' seemed somewhat clear, the third letter must be a 'k' - but that never made any sense.  Years later someone said the logo was a three colored 'M'.  Um, ok.  It's the land of hockey, what do they know.

Le Grande Orange

The is a red E and a blue B and the whole thing is M

Montreal
Expos
Baseball

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »
This talk of the Expos reminds me of when I'd go see the Pirates play them at Three Rivers Stadium.  It seemed Andre Dawson hit a home run in each game.  He probably didn't in every game I saw, but I'm convinced he did.  That carried over through his Cubs days.  Andre Dawson haunts me.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
I think we've all heard enough about the Astros cheating scandal.

To me this isn't even anything.  The team has been fined and penalized, managers and a GM lost their jobs.  I'm struggling to understand why this is still all over the Sunday sports section, and sports talk radio.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »
Every damn day we have to hear about the Astros.  Still.

Here's a thought - for over 100 years when you suspect your signs are being stolen, change them.  If you're tipping your pitches, work on disguising them better. 

Years ago at least one study was done regarding whether knowing what pitch was coming an instant before it was delivered benefitted the hitter.  The results were very mixed.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
You know the shark has been jumped when Lebron James has entered the discussion.  I tired of that guy at least 10 years ago - and I don't even watch the games. 

Fuck off, Lebron - go back to yapping about Kobe's ''legacy''

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
I’m fed up. Now baseball is forcing the Braves to give up the tomahawk chant they stole from Florida State. Some pitcher was offended. I wonder what Levi Walker thinks.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
I’m fed up. Now baseball is forcing the Braves to give up the tomahawk chant they stole from Florida State. Some pitcher was offended. I wonder what Levi Walker thinks.
PLEASE tell me you're kidding. Seriously! I mean, I want to know that you are just kidding!

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2020, 04:38:41 AM »
The commissioner now says the chop is an issue, but he is too busy going after the Astros to talk to the Braves.
http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/mlb/atlanta-braves/mlb-commissioner-says-he-hasnt-had-talks-with-braves-tomahawk-chop-yet/CPQQWMRUEBALXCFAHRV3QQPKYM/

I’ll just say this really began with the 1991 World Series - the Braves playing the Twins. Apparently Russell Means and a number of Amerinds were Twins fans and disparaged the Braves as fans will. They got a lot of media attention. I lived in North Carolina at the time and heard from the North Carolina tribes who made a lot of the Braves souvenirs and supported the team. They, of course, got no national coverage.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2020, 05:17:10 AM »
You know the shark has been jumped when Lebron James has entered the discussion.  I tired of that guy at least 10 years ago - and I don't even watch the games. 

Fuck off, Lebron - go back to yapping about Kobe's ''legacy''

But. But, he's "King" James.  His opinion matters.   ;D ;)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2020, 05:18:17 AM »

Huh?  How will that be enforced?  Are they going to throw all the fans that do it out of the game?  We know that won't work.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2020, 05:23:50 AM »
But. But, he's "King" James.  His opinion matters.   ;D ;)

In the wake of the Houston Rockets GM sending out that tweet in support of the people of Hong Kong, he was the most outspoken of all the greedy NBA players kowtowing to the thug regime in China. 

Maybe the MLB commissioner could give him a call and tell him to stay out of it, remind him it's just about the money

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
In the wake of the Houston Rockets GM sending out that tweet in support of the people of Hong Kong, he was the most outspoken of all the greedy NBA players kowtowing to the thug regime in China. 

Maybe the MLB commissioner could give him a call and tell him to stay out of it, remind him it's just about the money

LeBron is total shit.  Manfred is an awful commish.  I thought Selig was bad.  And the NBA commish, AKA Batboy, is crap.

Silver's childhood photo.

He's grown up so much.