Author Topic: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory  (Read 852743 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory
« Reply #9195 on: July 12, 2023, 08:38:39 AM »
Retirement doesn't have to mean sitting around in a rocking chair all day - my long-time auto mechanic recently retired, a Chinese guy in his early 60s he told me he was going to teach Chinese kids a little about traditional Chinese culture a few times a week at one of the after-school programs.

Exactly!  More to life than the shit I do now.

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #9196 on: July 12, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »
Noory had originally planned to retire in Dec 2012.
But Premrat kept extending his contract which he probably didn't expect and also he got all his side hussles going with free radio advertising so he changed his mind about retiring. He also learned his buddy Pat Boone isn't retiring in his late 80s...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #9197 on: July 12, 2023, 11:03:43 AM »
Noory had originally planned to retire in Dec 2012.
But Premrat kept extending his contract which he probably didn't expect and also he got all his side hussles going with free radio advertising so he changed his mind about retiring. He also learned his buddy Pat Boone isn't retiring in his late 80s...

I think he said that because he knows he sucks and was hoping by saying that it would convince PremRat to keep him on until then.  Once that came and went, he clings onto the paycheck for dear life with no intention of ever leaving.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #9198 on: July 12, 2023, 11:26:57 AM »
I've seen a number of people who cling to their jobs/businesses/careers well past the time to retire.  Many, like Norry, never took much time off during their lives either.  I think they'd be completely lost with all that time on their hands, I'm guessing because they have few outside interests.

Has Noory ever taken an extended vacation? I don't remember it ever happening. I know in his mind it's some weird "I go to work every day for the listener" but I actually think that hurts him as a host. One thing I find about George is that as a person he's really boring, all his "interesting" life experiences seem to happen in the 80s and before and I don't think he hardly ever reference any personal experience of his last 40 years except work related. Taking time off first off his good just for job performance and traveling or doing something different gives a different life experience which he can share with his listeners, we never really got that with Noory

Than again his shows are so repetitive he could have have taken two weeks off regularly & put on repeats and would we notice it?  ;D

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #9199 on: July 12, 2023, 11:54:35 AM »
His refusal to take vacations might be a Wally Pipp thing. Get a week of a real good host, or even a moderately mediocre one, and he doesn't get his renewal...
Eh, nevermind...

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #9200 on: July 12, 2023, 01:02:19 PM »
Has Noory ever taken an extended vacation? I don't remember it ever happening. I know in his mind it's some weird "I go to work every day for the listener" but I actually think that hurts him as a host. One thing I find about George is that as a person he's really boring, all his "interesting" life experiences seem to happen in the 80s and before and I don't think he hardly ever reference any personal experience of his last 40 years except work related. Taking time off first off his good just for job performance and traveling or doing something different gives a different life experience which he can share with his listeners, we never really got that with Noory

Than again his shows are so repetitive he could have have taken two weeks off regularly & put on repeats and would we notice it?  ;D
Nope, Noory only takes at most one day off at a time and that seems to be just for a travel day to one of his live events or his frequent visits to Colorado to tape his "Beyond Belief" streaming video show.
It sounds like Noory has never traveled far beyond the USA, he did apparently drive into Mexico one time.
But when guests ask him if he has ever visited some other country like last night's guest asked about Egypt where he said his father was born, he always says no.

In contrast, Art Bell would always take a week or two vacation each year and often took trips to Europe or one time to Egypt where he met Zahi Hawass!

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #9201 on: July 12, 2023, 01:03:05 PM »
His refusal to take vacations might be a Wally Pipp thing. Get a week of a real good host, or even a moderately mediocre one, and he doesn't get his renewal...
Yep thats very plausible, also explains the quality of guest hosts he approves of like Connie Willis...

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #9202 on: July 12, 2023, 01:37:11 PM »
Yep thats very plausible, also explains the quality of guest hosts he approves of like Connie Willis...

Maybe we could get Wally Pipp to fill in for George one night.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9203 on: July 12, 2023, 02:37:45 PM »

In contrast, Art Bell would always take a week or two vacation each year and often took trips to Europe or one time to Egypt where he met Zahi Hawass!

Art was well-read and well-travelled.

His account of Russian airlines with bad tires was memorable.

George's world of literature is on 3x5 cards.

He groans about his lost comic books and baseball card collections like another George we know. The one who lives in Martinez, California.

I bet Art fucked more women than George read books after he was out of high school.
Eh, nevermind...

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #9204 on: July 12, 2023, 04:18:11 PM »

I could understand him being paranoid early on, especially with Art hovering around. But after a decade you would think he'd have some breathing room lol

Nope, Noory only takes at most one day off at a time and that seems to be just for a travel day to one of his live events or his frequent visits to Colorado to tape his "Beyond Belief" streaming video show.
It sounds like Noory has never traveled far beyond the USA, he did apparently drive into Mexico one time.
But when guests ask him if he has ever visited some other country like last night's guest asked about Egypt where he said his father was born, he always says no.

I remember early on I was a supporter of Noory. Mike Siegel & Barbara Simpsons was just not working for me at all, and I know Art was still great but he was a little flakey with his retirements so I really was trying to give George the benefit of the doubt. It's funny you mentioned Egypt, he would have shows about Egypt and the pyramids and the sphinx and secret messages and tunnels in it and the guests will say there's more exploring to do. Noory would say he plans to take the show to Egypt and even do a broadcast at the foot of the pyramids and maybe even do a live or live-taped exploration of the tunnels. I thought it was kind of a cool idea, of course he never went through it  ::)

I never minded Art (or any host taking vacation time) they usually come back with interesting stories and experiences and as a listener you feel more connected to them on a more personal level. That was always a missing thing with Noory, there was always a bit of a disconnect with him.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #9205 on: July 12, 2023, 05:38:17 PM »
Tommee says you lishners have wondered where I've been for the past week.  Well, I took a vacation.  I went back to Detroit for the first time in years and had a great time.  I went by WJBK-TV where I began my TV career and sat around the newsroom for a couple of days.  Those are some hard working people.  I was going to go to a couple of Tigers games.  You know my mother got me a major league tryout, but I decided I wanted to go into broadcasting.  Anyway, the Tigers were on a road trip, but I drove past the stadium and looked at it.  It's a nice stadium.  I also drove past my old house and thought about the poor hamster and turtle.  You know my dad is gone, but my mother us still alive and is a fan of the show.  The motel cable tv had a good selection of movies, so I watched a couple starring my good friend Pat Boone.  Tommee, we need to have him on again soon.  That Journey to the Center of the Earth has a great dinosaur fight scene. Great movie.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #9206 on: July 12, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
... I bet Art fucked more women than George read books after he was out of high school.

During HS too

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9207 on: July 12, 2023, 05:53:46 PM »
During HS too

Yeah. True.

His reputation, especially here in San Diego County, was duly noted.

And sNoory seems a bit stunted. I mean, he did go into "journalism..."
Eh, nevermind...

CronkitesGhost

• Elluminati
« Reply #9208 on: July 12, 2023, 11:27:39 PM »
Richard Dolan is on, he's always sounded like Richard Hoagland but he has none of Hoagland's grandiosity which makes Hoagland entertaining, Dolan takes himself and his UFO research very seriously. Could be a homosexual, has a lisp.

Noory: Richard, you're writing a new book about a subject ... er ... area of my ... uh ... expertise, submersible UFOs.

lol he has expertise

Daughter: Dad, we're having a cookout Sunday, please come, the kids want to see Pop Pop.

Noory: Honey I'd love to but I am very close to a breakthrough in my submersible UFO research, I'll be working through the weekend, I'll have to take a raincheck.

Then he goes into what has become a regular part of his shtick, where he thinks he's Johnny Carson who became the Pope of standup comedy, where if Johnny gave a comedian the A-OK sign and a wink it meant he had arrived.

Noory: Richard I want you to know you're one of the best UFO researchers, you really are.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #9209 on: July 13, 2023, 01:20:05 AM »
... Then he goes into what has become a regular part of his shtick, where he thinks he's Johnny Carson who became the Pope of standup comedy, where if Johnny gave a comedian the A-OK sign and a wink it meant he had arrived.

Noory: Richard I want you to know you're one of the best UFO researchers, you really are.

Only the best come on Snorge's show to help him bore the audience.