Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512089 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1455 on: October 23, 2019, 11:24:15 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1456 on: October 24, 2019, 11:55:07 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1457 on: October 25, 2019, 08:03:17 AM »

I like the ones from places I have been as a kid. In the summer the activities included crabbing (catching crabs, not standing around fussing), picking blueberries, and going to Atlantic City board walk. I likely saw that restaurant but I don't recall us going in there.

THANKS RIKKI

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1458 on: October 25, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »
I like the ones from places I have been as a kid. In the summer the activities included crabbing (catching crabs, not standing around fussing), picking blueberries, and going to Atlantic City board walk. I likely saw that restaurant but I don't recall us going in there.

THANKS RIKKI

You are very welcome, anniem.  Do you remember seeing this elephant as a kid?  Lucy the elephant used to be a hotel but now she is a tourist attraction.  She has quite a history.  https://www.atlanticcitynj.com/partnerinformation/membership-directory-search-details.aspx?id=15227
Lucy has survived hurricanes, ocean floods, and even a fire accidentally started by some inebriated party-goers when she served as a tavern.
(I found this over at the postcard auction.)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1459 on: October 25, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »

You are very welcome, anniem.  Do you remember seeing this elephant as a kid?  Lucy the elephant used to be a hotel but now she is a tourist attraction.  She has quite a history.  https://www.atlanticcitynj.com/partnerinformation/membership-directory-search-details.aspx?id=15227 (I found this over at the postcard auction.)

Did not see that, I'm sure I'd remember it. When it was AC we'd pretty much stay on the boardwalk. We HAD to get through Madame Tussauds wax museum you know. Included swimming. Last time I was there was in 1977.
Wow Rikki, I haven't thought about all the things we'd do in quite a while, just lovely! Thank you!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1460 on: October 28, 2019, 11:49:04 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1461 on: October 29, 2019, 11:15:03 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1462 on: October 30, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »

Don't know what that is

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1463 on: October 30, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
Don't know what that is

CB Radio cards. I kinda see them as old business cards for home radio users.  :)
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1464 on: October 30, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »
Hope you are doing well, Rikki!

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1465 on: October 30, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
Don't know what that is

SpookPumpkin is exactly right.  These are postcard sized recognition cards sent between ham radio or CB operators, after they have made contact with one another.  They are called QSL cards.  (https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/ham_radio/qsl-cards/ham-qsl-cards.php )   Just to make it easy, suppose you and I were ham radio operators.  Late at night, I am talking into my ham radio, asking if anybody can hear my radio signal.  A friendly voice answers my call, identifying herself as anniem.  We converse for awhile, and talk about whatever it is ham radio operators talk about, and before we sign off, I request that we exchange QSL cards.  This will verify that we had made contact with one another, and we can learn how far away our radio signals can reach.  Also, it's a big social thing, actual friendships can be developed between ham radio operators that are states apart in distance.  So I would send you a QSL card, stating the time of our conversation, plus my location, plus my callsign, plus all sorts of stuff that are pre-printed on my QSL postcards that I probably had printed up at a local stationary store. 

Art was a voracious ham radio operator, and he utilized QSL cards too.  (Thanks @Norm.)    https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=804.msg237212#msg237212

If you go back into the thread a ways you will see different examples of QSL cards.  I will buy them on occasion, during the regular postcard auctions.  (https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=91.msg171171#msg171171)

I hope this has been of help to you, dear @anniem.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1466 on: October 30, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Hope you are doing well, Rikki!

Thanks, dear SpookPumpkin, doing fine.  Very nice Halloween cards.  Can't believe how fast it got here.  Of course time seems to pass more quickly, the older a person gets.  haha   

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1467 on: October 30, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »
CB Radio cards. I kinda see them as old business cards for home radio users.  :)

Thank you!

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1468 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »
SpookPumpkin is exactly right.  These are postcard sized recognition cards sent between ham radio or CB operators, after they have made contact with one another.  They are called QSL cards.  (https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/ham_radio/qsl-cards/ham-qsl-cards.php )   Just to make it easy, suppose you and I were ham radio operators.  Late at night, I am talking into my ham radio, asking if anybody can hear my radio signal.  A friendly voice answers my call, identifying herself as anniem.  We converse for awhile, and talk about whatever it is ham radio operators talk about, and before we sign off, I request that we exchange QSL cards.  This will verify that we had made contact with one another, and we can learn how far away our radio signals can reach.  Also, it's a big social thing, actual friendships can be developed between ham radio operators that are states apart in distance.  So I would send you a QSL card, stating the time of our conversation, plus my location, plus my callsign, plus all sorts of stuff that are pre-printed on my QSL postcards that I probably had printed up at a local stationary store. 

Art was a voracious ham radio operator, and he utilized QSL cards too.  (Thanks @Norm.)    https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=804.msg237212#msg237212

If you go back into the thread a ways you will see different examples of QSL cards.  I will buy them on occasion, during the regular postcard auctions.  (https://ellgab.com/index.php?topic=91.msg171171#msg171171)

I hope this has been of help to you, dear @anniem.)

Interesting! I knew nothing of this.
Live and learn, huh
 :) :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #1469 on: November 01, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »

Atlantic City, New Jersey, taken from the weekly postcard auction over on Ebay.

The New Turnpike
certainly makes the
trip shorter and
more enjoyable
Enjoying the weekend
with Ruth, Phyllis
and Linda
       Abe