Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503344 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
The Postcard Thread
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
Hello all.  Here is a postcard of Wyatt Earp that I purchased from the post office about 25 years ago.  It is part of a set and I never got around to sending any of them, so enjoy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
Here is a first, for me anyway.  A postcard from a comic strip.  Out Our Way was a popular newspaper strip back in the 1940's and 50's.  On the back of the unused card are the words Series 1, and a code that says W 508.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
Here is a first, for me anyway.  A postcard from a comic strip.  Out Our Way was a popular newspaper strip back in the 1940's and 50's.  On the back of the unused card are the words Series 1, and a code that says W 508.

Weird. Are those ranch brands, hobo symbology, or ancient "sand-script" on the margins?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
Weird. Are those ranch brands, hobo symbology, or ancient "sand-script" on the margins?

I wonder.  I found a different postcard on line from the same comic strip.  It had other symbols on the margins though none of them repeat.  Ha, perhaps it's some type of Masonic code?

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
Welcome back! Your posts on this thread have always given me much entertainment and I thank you for it. Also, I am sorry that you lost all of that hard work that had put into Bellgab.
Praise BE!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »
I wonder.  I found a different postcard on line from the same comic strip.  It had other symbols on the margins though none of them repeat.  Ha, perhaps it's some type of Masonic code?

I'm thinking they are ranch brands but considering the amount of capital and people who came with investments and large holdings, especially from Scotland, in the cattle industry during the peak time in the US and Canadian "west" there also could be a Masonic connection to brands and also, then, associations with "sand-script!"

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
Welcome back! Your posts on this thread have always given me much entertainment and I thank you for it. Also, I am sorry that you lost all of that hard work that had put into Bellgab.
Praise BE!

Well thank you, WIH.  Glad you like the postcards.  Yes, too bad about the lost stuff but all we can do is shrug our shoulders and forge ahead.  I've still got lots of postcards to show yet, haha.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:02 PM »

Here is a look at Court Square in Springfield, Massachusetts circa 1905. At least that is when the postcard was produced.

That is a one cent Ben Franklin stamp and it was printed back in 1902.  I don't think this card was ever sent because there is no postal cancellation marks on the stamp.  A mint condition stamp like this one will sell for $16.00 and a used one will fetch a whopping 30 cents.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »

Here is a look at Court Square in Springfield, Massachusetts circa 1905. At least that is when the postcard was produced.

That is a one cent Ben Franklin stamp and it was printed back in 1902.  I don't think this card was ever sent because there is no postal cancellation marks on the stamp.  A mint condition stamp like this one will sell for $16.00 and a used one will fetch a whopping 30 cents.

This one is way off-center, appears a bit worn, and doesn't have the original gum intact.  It's got a crease (far upper right), and discoloration (top)  Not really worth anything... for $16 it has to be perfect.

I like the post card though, especially the coloring, and it's cool to still have the stamp - it sucks when they've been removed

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
This one is way off-center, appears a bit worn, and doesn't have the original gum intact.  It's got a crease (far upper right), and discoloration (top)  Not really worth anything... for $16 it has to be perfect.

Absolutely correct, PB.  I actually wasn't referring to the stamp on the card as being mint.  I meant another stamp like it that was in mint condition.  Poor choice of words, I know.  Yes, that stamp was way off center.  I wonder if there are any collectors out there who collect off kilter stamps?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
Here's a link to someone talking about the Rotograph Company, which manufactured the postcard:

http://rotographproject.blogspot.com/2012/02/brief-history.html

Rotograph. : ''a photographic white-on-black print made directly on bromide paper by the use of a reversing prism without a negative.''

And then apparently colored

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
Here's a link to someone talking about the Rotograph Company, which manufactured the postcard:

http://rotographproject.blogspot.com/2012/02/brief-history.html

Rotograph. : ''a photographic white-on-black print made directly on bromide paper by the use of a reversing prism without a negative.''

And then apparently colored

Cool! Thanks, PB.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
 Sir, do you see what you've started?!   😃

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
Please bear with me on this postcard because the first two images are big photos and not postcards.  Actually, what I'm calling a postcard is more like a photo though it is postcard sized and has a light, card like covering on the back. 

Many years ago I was in the back of an antique shop going through a slush pile of old photos and documents that weren't being displayed out on the main floor.  I came across a box of photos and postcards that were related to a certain naval ship, and, since they really weren't asking much for the box, I purchased it.  After I got home, I looked at the pics and realized that they were taken by a sailor, (possibly the ship's photographer?) while the ship was making a port of call at the Philippines.  The ship was the USS Huron and the time span was 1925 to 1926.

The U.S.S. Huron (formally the South Dakota, first launched on July 21, 1904) was an Armored Cruiser that served in the Asiatic Fleet between 1920 and 1928.  For seven years she operated in Philippine waters during the winter and spent the summers at Shanghai and Chefoo in China.

I got all the information about the ship, etc. from the above printing that commemorates the Huron's cruise of 1925 to 1926.  It was in the box with all the other pics.

Here is a photo of the U.S.S. Huron that I believe was meant to be a postcard, but it was stored in a photo album, (judging by the photo holder segment at upper left.)  It has the feel of being a real-photo postcard but there aren't any 'place stamp here' markings on the back.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
Sir, do you see what you've started?!   😃

Ha, wow.  I take it you got those while you are out and about.  Great idea, Weiner.  You will have a nice collection in no time at all.  :)