Author Topic: Current Movies  (Read 14051 times)

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
Re: Current Movies
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
This Weekends Opening (Rotten Tomato ratings)
-Bohemian Rhapsody [59%]
-The Nutcracker and the Four Realms [34%]
-Nobody's Fool [24%]
-Boy Erased [85%]
-Bodied [88%]

Last Weekend Box Office Oct 26-28             Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Bohemian Rhapsody                             $51,061,119     (New)             52M
2 The Nutcracker and the Four Realms      $20,352,491     (New)           130M
3 Nobody's Fool                                      $13,743,111      (New)            19M
4 A Star is Born                                      $11,003,083    (166M)            36M
5 Halloween                                           $10,830,865    (150M)            10M
6 Venom                                                 $7,877,174     (199M)          100M
7 Smallfoot                                              $3,861,672   (77.5M)            80M
8 Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween          $3,773,720     (44M)            35M
9 Hunter Killer                                          $3,528,129    (13M)             13M
10The Hate U Give                                    $3,353,422  (23.5M)            23M

Who knew there was so many Freddy Mercury fans, a huge opening for Bohemian Rhapsody. On the other end The Nutcracker was a box office disaster, $20 Million on a $130 Million budget, I doubt they will make half of their budget back

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Saw Overlord today.  It was a good flick.  I won't critique it like I did Halloween, but all I will say is there are no post credit scenes.  So when it's over, just leave.  :D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
Can somebody please watch a new horror movie called, The Dark. Would you then please tell me WTF you make of the ending....? It's a great film, very well done. Perhaps we're not meant to understand it and make up our own minds. Mildly annoyed but I will watch it again.

Should you do this and report back please tag me, I want to know what you think.  It is worth the watching but you to WILL have questions.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
This Weekends Opening (Rotten Tomato ratings)
-The Grinch [55%]
-Overlord [80%]
-Beautiful Boy [69%]
-The Girl in the Spider's Web [43%]
-The Ballad of Buster Scruggs [93%] - Netflix

This Weekend Box Office Nov 9-11             Weekend       - Total -       Budget
1 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018)                 $67,572,855      (New)             75M
2 Bohemian Rhapsody                              $31,201,568    (100M)             52M
3 Overlord                                                $10,202,108      (New)             38M
4 The Nutcracker and the Four Realms      $10,086,869      (36M)           120M
5 A Star is Born                                          $8,105,163    (178M)             36M
6 The Girl in the Spider's Web                      $7,810,112      (New)             43M
7 Nobody's Fool                                          $6,636,242    (24.5)              19M
8 Venom                                                     $4,915,378     (206M)          100M
9 Halloween                                                 $3,998,885    (157M)            10M
10The Hate U Give                                       $2,051,363      (23.5M)           23M

Interesting to see how holiday remake The Grinch the pervious weeks holiday remake The Nutcracker in it's opening weekend the Grinch did almost double of the Nutcracker did in total of a fullweek+2nd weekend on a smaller budget.

For the newish movies, I watched a double hitter with Finding Nory (03) and Finding Dory (16). First I was really surprised they waited 13 years to do a sequal. I thought Nory was a better movie, but Dory is okay as well.

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
Worth watching if the subject matter interests you.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2018, 02:59:29 PM »
Worth watching if the subject matter interests you.

Is it a chick flick or more of a Sci Fi @HumanBeing?
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »
Is it a chick flick or more of a Sci Fi @HumanBeing?

I don't consider it a chick flick  ;D
It seemed kinda of indie. But it wasn't anything that took away from the story.

But I really like this type of 'what if' scenario's with regarding parallel worlds.

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
I don't consider it a chick flick  ;D
It seemed kinda of indie. But it wasn't anything that took away from the story.

But I really like this type of 'what if' scenario's with regarding parallel worlds.

Checked it out last night. It seemed like a pretty good independent film. The endings last scene was good. Kind of reminded me of Doc coming back to get Marty in the beginning of Back to the Future II.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 02:23:55 AM »
Checked it out last night. It seemed like a pretty good independent film. The endings last scene was good. Kind of reminded me of Doc coming back to get Marty in the beginning of Back to the Future II.
@BartEllProducer

That's great. Sometimes these sorts are movies are a hit or miss. Glad you thought it was pretty good.

The tv show Counterpart is really good. Parallel worlds and how both worlds/govts are interacting with each other.
I can't wait for season 2 which is suppose to begin this Sunday. I'll wait until the whole season is out before watching though.
I'd definitely check that out if you have not. The main actor is excellent in his role.

Got sidetracked a bit with a tv show but keeping with the thread here are some other similar movies that are worth checking out.
Side by side IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes brief summary and ratings. But yeah ratings are not everything.
All 8 of these have some great entertainment value and will make you think.

Primer is really smartly done but complicated (at least for me and from what I read a lot of others - at least on the first viewing).
There are flowcharts out there on the web showing 'stuff' that goes on in this movie and how it all connects.

It is one of those movies that it is ok not to follow every little detail, don't get frustrated by that, it is the way it is meant to be. Watching it a few times the brilliance of it comes out.
They had a budget of 7k and made about 850k at the box office. Nice return on investment.
"Roger Ebert declaring: "The movie never looks cheap, because every shot looks as it must look." "

That is not my overall favorite in the list though but this post is already a huge wall.

If you have any movies of similar subject matter please let me know. I rarely watch movies. But when I do these type of movies are my jam  :D

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2024, 10:16:49 AM »
The movie series Kevin Costner dropped Yellowstone to make.

&t=15s

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2024, 12:50:39 PM »
Wow it's nice to see this thread come up again. Double nice to look back at movies people recommend and that I watched recently and understand yeah it was good

First off Coherence (2013) some background, I am a big fan of the app "JustWatch" you can put your watch/seen list on it, there's also a feature that lists movies from streaming services you list that you use (free or paid) and will give you different options on how to list them for you. I like trending or popular (which I think it's about the same thing) so I see this in the Top 50 and I ignored it, weeks after I go back and make another watch list and I see this movie is still in the Top 50 and I wondered "What is this movie?". It's a decade old, I never heard of it, don't know any of the actors. It's a low budget movie (50K budget of five day filming) and it was in limited release (100k) not a bad return, must have had good word of mouth.

I was shocked how good it was, sure it looked like it was filmed with one camera and the acting was seemed like it was done in one or two takes and "go with it improvisation" but it was good. It was about time-bending and multiverse which seems the rage now in a lot of movies but for a small movie ten years ago it was pretty ahead of it's time.  It's on a lot of streaming service both paid (PrimeVideo/Peacock) and free (Tubi/Pluto)